Rust protection

Oh yeah...
$400 for a heavy duty model.
works a treat.
No need to have your hands on the wheel while its working.. It cuts out at 12.7 volts or something like that so that the electro-rust thingy-bob doesn't flatten your battery.

mistareno said:
Shane,

Before jumping on your high horse, just think about it...

How wide is a single lane road? 5 meters maximum?

Obviously you've given the brakes a good stab, as the ABS has activated...

Even with your hands hovering just above the steering wheel, if your car suffered a mechanical failure (and it does happen...even to well maintained cars) you are travelling at about 23m/s. Reaction time is typically about 0.5seconds. Another 0.3 seconds to grab the steering wheel. By the time you even touched the wheel you've probably travelled 20 (uncontrolled) meters on a road with a gravel verge...I'll let you figure out the rest...

The Xantia may very well do *everything* extremely compentantly and safely, but it can't make up for drivers showing off...

Probably not a good example to share with us, unless you were trying to demonstrate how little responsibilty you demonstrate while driving or how little you care for the life of your passenger...

As for you giving me a demonstration? In a big empty car park, with nothing to hit. Go for your life...

Richard your talking to someone here that driven paddock bombs around gravel roads/paddocks from the age of 14years... If a car can do something ... I've done it ... many times ...

Lets see... Imagine we completely lost both front wheels... I'd say the car would skid along on it's guts for a couple of hundred meters ... The worst thing that could happen is it hit a farm fence WITH BLOODY GREAT ACRES OF FARMLAND BOTH SIDES. There IS nothing to hit :rolleyes:

I had my 11month old daughter in the car, do you really think I would risk her life "just to show off :disappr: ". My hands were hovering around the steering wheel... all I had to do was close my hands ... in the blink of an eye I'd have the steering wheel again.

What's your problem ??? the only thing that could cause control loss under the circumstance is a bloody road train driving through the paddocs and T boning me :rolleyes:

If you think I was picking on the Luguna... your dead wrong... I'd get one in a heartbeat. The bland as sh!t Xantia just happens to be the best value car (given the price) that I can afford. A similary spec'd Laguna is worth more for what I consider an equivilant car in most aspects.

seeya,
Shane L.

Back to the topic of the thread....

Those rust protection things do not work. I believe they have been banned from sale in the US because they are snake oil. They cannot work. Their only possible mechanism of protection would be cathodic protection - ie a sacrificial anode. That only works when there is a path for electrons to flow in a circuit through the body AND back to the other side of the anode (I can't remember which way). The air will not conduct well enough for this to happen. The car would need to be submerged for it to work.

Anyone who thinks it works should be prepared to show results of a controlled study where some cars were fitted with it and some cars weren't, and all were kept in the same location for long enough to show an effect.

If such a study had been done and had shown the devices to be successful, the makers of the devices would certainly be quoting it. But they don't quote it. They just say, in answer to the "Does it work" question (in their own ads), "We've sold over 20,000 units and not had one legitimate warranty claim."

They may as well be politicians with that kind of question avoidance technique.