Rust protection

ARCHRIVAL

Fellow Frogger
Any one tryed this?
Benefits of Electronic Rust Protection / Rust Proofing
Higher resale value. A properly cared for car with no rust will achieve a far higher resale or lease-end value than a well-cared for car that exhibits signs of rust.
A cleaner car. Air-borne dust will no longer be attracted to your car.
Eliminate static shocks from your car. Suffer no more pain during dry weather.
A better looking car. Rust is unsightly.
A safer car. Structural components can fail due to excessive rusting.
Keep your car longer. A car with rust will not last as long as a rust-free car.
Not even scratches will rust!

http://www.paintprotection.com.au/rust_proofing_rust_protection.php#static_shock

Something I'm thinking alot about at the moment :crazy:

If it's a sacrificing anode it should work. I forget the specifics, but they have a sacrificial lump of metal somewhere that rusts/corrodes away... This in turn protects the ships hull. I'll have to look it up, but most certainly it must work.

Infact there's quite a bit of stuff on this ... I'm not sure if it's effective on cars (after all they aren't immersed in salty water). Maybe try to find some evidence NOT "user testimonials" :rolleyes:

google link

seeya,
Shane L.

Sacrificial anodes only work where there is somewhere for the "stuff" to go, (tec talk). Therefore, unless you are carrying around a significant bit of the Pacific Ocean in the boot it wont work.

The only way to rust proof the car is to exclude O2, (no bare metal), and the medium for electron transfer,H2O, and an electrolyte, Wet crap.

The lesson hath ended. :nownow:

Barbie time, fuelled by snake oil.
:burnboun:

I don't profess to be a expert, but I believe these things do, in fact, work. The 4wd's at lake Mccleod (solar salt works) or someplace use them with no corrosion. They've been around too long to be "snake oil"
Cheers
Mike

These sacrafical anodes work great ........................ if you drive in the ocean all the time. Part of the theory of it revolves around the nobility levels of the various metals - for instance tin does not rust and as such is wrapped around steel cans to put food in while the tin is intact it protects the vunerable steel, but when a scratch occurs the steel which is lower in nobility than tin will give itself up to protect the tin and rust will occur. Zinc on the other hand is lower than steel and gives itself up to protect the steel, that is why gal plating is so successful. It is also why it works for ships in a saline solution to help the atom transfer.

I lived within sight of breaking waves - no garage - with prevailing onshore winds - and I bought one of these electronic units (roe marketing) that send a charge through the body of the car (Daimler 250 V8).

My car was parked beside My girlfriends '75 Mercedes.

Within weeks you could tell the difference in the Cars - My girlfriends car had the tell tale brown stains appearing around almost every join, crack or point of moisture.. The Daimler seemed unchanged. My girlfriend wrote the Merc off but the daimler stayed in very good condition until someone bought it from me some 9 months later...

I reckon they are worth the price - my situation was pretty dramatic but proved to me at least that in that case it worked pretty well.

If you are respraying though - nothing beats taking anti-corrosion measures at the bare-metal stage. I think that these units are more of an after thought in between resprays or extra protection for the suprememly cautious.

Last edited:
Ren25 said:
This system is not based on a sacrificial anode, but is electronic.
www.roemarketing.com.au (don't know how to put in links)
Cheers
Mike

This looks like something that I tried to chase up a year or two ago, as it had been used by a contract mining company at, was it Telfer in WA?

Anyway, I got nowhere, as no-one in the company could provide me with any advice, at least that I could find.

All corrosion is due to some sort of local electrochemical cell caused by different metals, varying access to oxygen or odd things that aren't always obvious or intuitive. This might work - interesting website, for which thanks.

And you have a Xantia in Perth, so we are neighbours. Do we know one another??

Cheers

JohnW

JohnW said:
This looks like something that I tried to chase up a year or two ago, as it had been used by a contract mining company at, was it Telfer in WA?

Anyway, I got nowhere, as no-one in the company could provide me with any advice, at least that I could find.

All corrosion is due to some sort of local electrochemical cell caused by different metals, varying access to oxygen or odd things that aren't always obvious or intuitive. This might work - interesting website, for which thanks.

And you have a Xantia in Perth, so we are neighbours. Do we know one another??

Cheers

JohnW

Prob. not John. I'm the original hills hermit. Only bought the Xantia a month or so ago for my girlfriend to replace her much loved but pretty s*****d Volvo360. She loves it, as you would after driving an uncared for v***o with 400k on the clock. I am impressed with the Xantia, ie. smooth, quiet, doesnt rattle & shake like my R25, but I find it a little bland, I like my wheels with abit of character, so will put up with niggles like no speedo or fuel guage, and forgive the car, 'cause it's a Ren. Had 12s 18s and now the 25, for around 4 yrs now. Love it
Mike
edit I've just realised that my rant about renaults has been posted in this cit forum-sorry folks

Last edited:
Ren25 said:
Prob. not John. I'm the original hills hermit. Only bought the Xantia a month or so ago. I am impressed with the Xantia, ie. smooth, quiet, doesnt rattle & shake like my R25, but I find it a little bland, I like my wheels with abit of character, so will put up with niggles like no speedo or fuel guage, and forgive the car, 'cause it's a Ren. Had 12s 18s and now the 25, for around 4 yrs now. Love it
Mike
edit I've just realised that my rant about renaults has been posted in this cit forum-sorry folks

I forgive you, having an R8, 16TS and 750!!! You've summed up the Xantia perfectly. Competent and well designed, but a tad boring. Do you want to buy mine too???

I'm interested in that anti-corrosion system, living near the sea - I notice that Wallis Drilling use it, and they are one smart company, so I will ring them up and ask direct.

Cheers

JohnW

That $400 was for the 'heavy duty' one and there may be a cheaper option.

I have heard a few positive stories from motorhomers about these units also.

JohnW said:
I forgive you, having an R8, 16TS and 750!!! You've summed up the Xantia perfectly. Competent and well designed, but a tad boring. Do you want to buy mine too???

I'm interested in that anti-corrosion system, living near the sea - I notice that Wallis Drilling use it, and they are one smart company, so I will ring them up and ask direct.

Cheers

JohnW

Yeah he has summed it up perfectly :roflmao: :roflmao: The Xantias problem is it does everything with such consumate ease .... and very well ... it's just boring.

Eg: My cousin called around a couple of weeks back in his Laguna that is the same age as the Xantia. But are ... er... 'sedate' 2litre 8valve slugomatics.... The thing with the Renault ... Those seats ... Why the hell isn't Citroen still fiiting amazingly comfy seats like Renault :confused:

The Renault does everything well ... A great car to drive. The Xantia is bland all over including look and feel as compared to the Luguna ... Yet probably does most things better. It rides better, handles better, and feels more solid around you. an example of ease and safety, my cousing was on the edge of his seat... I was driving down a single lane road with 2wheels in badly potholed gravel edge on the road "This is how I crashed the Charade years ago :eek: "...... My response :confused: This is a Citroen watch this .... I take my hands off the steering wheel and stamp on the brakes.... The ABS does it's magic giving my foot a nice massage, my cousin can hear the pedal vibrating under my foot... The car does a rapid fuss free dead straight stop from 80km/h with my hands off the steering wheel, 2wheels in the gravel and the ABS on ..... Like I said, the Xantia does *everything* extremely compentantly and safely.

Me :confused: I'll stick to my "not boring" CX thanks :D

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
I take my hands off the steering wheel and stamp on the brakes.... The car does a rapid fuss free dead straight stop from 80km/h with my hands off the steering wheel...
With both your hands off the wheel, what would've happened if it didn't come to a fuss free dead straight stop?

It's a friggin car with 1000's of components, all it needs is for one to fail - ABS sensor failure perhaps...

I'd be on the edge of my seat as well :roflmao: ...

mistareno said:
With both your hands off the wheel, what would've happened if it didn't come to a fuss free dead straight stop?

I would let the brakes off and grab hold of the steering wheel :mallet: :mallet:

It's a friggin car with 1000's of components, all it needs is for one to fail - ABS sensor failure perhaps...

I'd be on the edge of my seat as well :roflmao: ...

If your ever in Ballarat I'm willing to do exactly the same demonstration in a '63 ID19 with no power steering, no ABS .... No nothing.

The DS23 ie 5spd we drove home from Melbourne about 2years back ... We drove it through the traffic (doing several VERY heavy braking stops)... Drove it around the block from french connection, where I did a crash stop as someone came down one of the back streets at VERY high speed that I had to give way to at the last second.

When we got back Dave asks "how are the brakes".... Me: "Typical DS brakes, potent and excellent" ... he puts the car up on the hoist, grabs the left hand front brake caliper and spins it around in his hands "it's worn though and not doing anything .... The brakes grab the caliper, but the the wheel keeps spinning... ie: the car has only 1 front brake the other wheel is doing no braking AT ALL :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yet the car drives perfectly, doesn't pull to one side ... nothing... It's impossible to tell that only one front brake is working from the drivers seat.

I'm not stupid either, my hands were right there ready to grab the steering wheel.... I've only driven these cars since I was about 14years old ... So what would I know :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :roflmao: :roflmao: Even if the ABS stopped working .... The net result would be the tires in the gravel skidding .... and nothing else ... still no vear ... I can pull the ABS fuse and demonstrate if you like.

seeya,
Shane L.

Shane,

Before jumping on your high horse, just think about it...

I was driving down a single lane road (at 80kph) with 2 wheels in badly potholed gravel edge on the road
How wide is a single lane road? 5 meters maximum?

I take my hands off the steering wheel and stamp on the brakes.... The ABS does it's magic giving my foot a nice massage, my cousin can hear the pedal vibrating under my foot...

Obviously you've given the brakes a good stab, as the ABS has activated...

Even with your hands hovering just above the steering wheel, if your car suffered a mechanical failure (and it does happen...even to well maintained cars) you are travelling at about 23m/s. Reaction time is typically about 0.5seconds. Another 0.3 seconds to grab the steering wheel. By the time you even touched the wheel you've probably travelled 20 (uncontrolled) meters on a road with a gravel verge...I'll let you figure out the rest...

The Xantia may very well do *everything* extremely compentantly and safely, but it can't make up for drivers showing off...

Probably not a good example to share with us, unless you were trying to demonstrate how little responsibilty you demonstrate while driving or how little you care for the life of your passenger...

As for you giving me a demonstration? In a big empty car park, with nothing to hit. Go for your life...

Oh Richard chill out will you. You don't know what the situation was. Shane was telling a story to illustrate a point, like the old testament, mate, you don't have to take it literally. Incidentally Shane, I thought the story showed very well the competence of the Xantia.
Cheers
Mike