Running In

Pug307

Sense
Fellow Frogger
The 307's a week old, and there's 600km on the clock. Basically, I've been driving it really, really gently (30% throttle/max 3500rpm), and plan to do so for the next 400km.

I was just wondering, are there any special techniques for running the car in?

I want to know when I can actually squeeze the pedal :D

Cheers,

Justin

Don't be scared to give it some revs :)
But don't thrash it! Yet!

Just do a normal mix of different types of driving, with varying loads on the engine. Try not to let the engine labour, ie don't drive up steep hills in too high a gear, etc.

Usually it's a good idea to try to keep between 2500 and 4500rpm as much as possible. Try to avoid going below 2000 or above 5000, although with the latest crop of engines it's probably OK to go higher, I don't really know.

Labouring the engine at low revs is a really bad thing.

Dave

Ahh,

I reckon I should chuck it into sports mode then :) Or tell the tiptronic to send it down a gear. (yeah, it's a bloody auto :)

From what I've heard, after the first 1000km, you can take it past 4000 in blips, go up and down hills with the engine revving. Apparently, after I do this for a while, the engine will sound better with a deeper exhaust note and develop more compression.

After 600km, the engine is a bit better. Fuel consumption's gone down by 0.5l/100. Somehow, I really think this 1.6 has got some pep if you take it beyond 3000. After all, peak torque is either at 3900/4000/4500rpm (brochures and manual tell me different things). Peugeot says that 90% of torque is from 3300 to 5000rpm.

Just wondering, I was told when the engine's new - don't cruise at a constant speed, try and vary the engine's revs. What's the reason behind this?

Cheers,

Justin

new cars do not need to be run in as like the old days do not baby it as you have been however do not thrash it for the fisrt 1000ks also vary your driving and always be sure your engine is at operating temp before giving it a hard time

I've always understood that load and constant running at the same revs are the only things to avoid, and that high revs are OK from about 100 ks on, so long as you avoid load. However, load should be increased as the running in period progresses. I thought taking the reciprocating parts to max revs means that they move to their fullest extent (because of inertia) and the wearing in is therefore more even.

Stuey

I knew a guy who was an ex interstate trucky. He always reckoned that the mechanics would often put a bit of tape on the tachos of the trucks after a motor rebuild & instruct them not to get below that figure.
"Revs won't kill'em but load will" he always used to say. I do think however this is done in moderation. Like I couldn't see me hitting the rev limiter on a new motor eek!

Alan S