Road going mods for a 205gti S1?

nchandler

Fellow Frogger
I know there are a few other posts about this, but they all seem to be track/competition oriented. Basically, i'm buying a 205, and i'm really thinking along the lines of a neat S1 as opposed to a slightly rougher later model. i'm hoping to pick one up for around $7kish, and that should leave me a grand or two to play with. basically any mechanical work is free (the old man's company employs a full time mechanic who is a machine at building quick engines) and things like exhausts are all very cheap because one arm of the business builds the underground patrols for pasminco tasmania, and with three or so patrols a month being modified, a lot gets spent at those sort of places (snorkels, new breathing sytems). so i for a 2.5" crush bent all the way through i'm looking at less than $200. I don't consider myself a great driver, i'm competent, but i've had a license for a year and a half, so like most drivers my age, i'm basically shit. I wouldn't mind an extra 10-15kw (maybe more if possible), but after driving a gti, i'm happy enough with the handling and brakes, and i feel the standard setup could easily cope with the stated increase. any tips?

Regards,

Chandler

The mods I suggested are perfect for a road car. If you're concerned about the cam, ask for stage 1 grind instead. Getting the CR above 9.5:1 is the most important step.

I dont agree Peter. Unless you want to stop at a few hundred dollars. I think porting and combustion chamber shape are the most important: compression increase should be a part of this. With this I would go bigger inlet valves and cam, followed by a variable pressure fuel reg, and a pod filter for fun. Wider cat and exhaust from the cat on. Chandler, e-mail me for specifics.

I didn't think the ports were that bad. You need the CR before you can add anything other than a std. cam. It will sound lumpy but it just wont go. In terms of bang for your bucks on a series 1 205, you can't beat the big head shave and a reground cam.

But the trouble with that is everyone is an expert on Head work (Yeah right!!)
So who do you take it to, and trust??
And who does your cam, plenty of people can make it look nice and shiny, but will they dyno it to prove your getting more power.
It's a bit like religion, you have to have faith in something you can't see..
If you mess with head work and Cam duration you will also need to look at the air induction as well. The standard air flow meter won't like hotter cams.. yes all very interesting...

i thought inlet manifold was good for 200hp????

Exactly my point Cant_get_enough. Leave it basically stock, get it just above UK 1.9 GTi spec., and be happy. Remember that 130hp with a long diff., is good for sub 8 sec. 0-100 times. With the shorter Aussie diff., low-mid. sevens should be easy. I'm going to puit mine on the dyno soon. Let's wait and see how good $400 worth of mods. are.

Thanks for the advice fellas, i'd be looking for (in terms of a specific result), low-mid 7s 0-100? What sort of increase would be expected with a head shave + thinner gasket, 2.25" exhaust, unifilter/similar and a mild cam?

thanks again.

chandler