Richard's 205 GTi6 project

I never got the standard M.M ICV to work either with haltech's.

Luckily haltech market a ICV and housing. Other options are to use an earlier style Bosch stepper motor or use something Japanese.

Hi James. Huw has not been able to get the Haltech idle controller to work properly - says it is smaller than the Pug original and does not have enough range? You seem to have been here before - are you able to expand on your suggestions please?

Do I have to resort to something like this, which seems to be a cruder 'on/off' set-up? HT-020308 Idle Air Control Valve ? Bosch BAC/PWM 2 port, 2 pin - Idle Control - ECU Outputs and Ignition Systems

Cheers
Richard

Gday Rich,

I haven't had the ICV working on my car for about 5 years. It doesn't idle smoothly for about a minute after cold start but after that smooth as the proverbial. Has Huw adjusted your idle timing/mixtures in the Haltech?

Might the idle issue be another side effect of bigger cams?

Looking forward to a drive swap! I hadn't driven mine for a couple of months for one reason or another, had a drive last weekend and it's a little monster.:D

Pat

Maybe try an XU10J4 ICV, which uses BAC/BAC slave connectivity?

Gday Rich,

I haven't had the ICV working on my car for about 5 years. It doesn't idle smoothly for about a minute after cold start but after that smooth as the proverbial. Has Huw adjusted your idle timing/mixtures in the Haltech?

Might the idle issue be another side effect of bigger cams?

Looking forward to a drive swap! I hadn't driven mine for a couple of months for one reason or another, had a drive last weekend and it's a little monster.:D

Pat

Thanks Pat. Looking forward to swapping cars for a drive to maybe help work out what to do with mine.

I don't think the cams are the problem with the idle. Once the car is warm it idles sweetly. However, when it is cold it needs to be held above 2500rpm for a few minutes until it will idle. Huw has spent about 30 hours trying to set up the Haltech ICV but hasn't been able to make it work well. I'm wondering if it is just fundamentally undersized.

Maybe try an XU10J4 ICV, which uses BAC/BAC slave connectivity?

Thanks Peter. So is BAC/BAC different to the J4RS item such that the Haltech might be able to drive it? I'm going to have to sit down to do some research and understand more about these things.

Pretty pedigree (VC205's car) came out to play with my mongrel this morning for a bit of a run through the Royal. Interesting now to drive my car back to back with a perfect original car.

I managed to get brake fade on the downhill run into Garie Beach so the Greenstuff brake pads will need to be upgraded.

The car goes to Phil Armour tomorrow to see if he can sort out the cold running and see how many horses he can find for me!

Looking forward to seeing the results after tune.

Dare I say 109kW ATW?

Isn't that what Pat's car made? Was that on Phil's dyno as well?

With your stage 2 cams instead of stage 1, forged pistons with 11.5:1 and a bit more work to the head than Pat's car I'm probably hoping it will make a touch more. But probably more important is finding a bit more in the midrange than its got now and getting it to be less of a pig when cold.

If my car makes the same power as Pat's car on stage 1 cams I guess I'd be better off swapping back to stage 1 cams too and having the fatter midrange. Should they work well with those pistons?

Time will tell. Phil has another project ahead of mine so may not have the results for another week or so.

True. I had forgotten your spec. Pat made 108, thus 1 more seemed appropriate.

I'll also have a cold air intake. Might be interesting to test with and without that to see what difference it makes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty pedigree (VC205's car) came out to play with my mongrel this morning for a bit of a run through the Royal. Interesting now to drive my car back to back with a perfect original car.

Couple of photos from this morning
Beauty and the mongrel 1.jpgBeauty and the mongrel 2.jpg

I just realised I will be on a different dyno to Pat's tune so won't really be able to compare power result directly except against Parry and anyone else who has used Phil to tune their car?

Last edited:
Lovely car.With 11.1, PeterT stage 1 inlet cam, minor head work I made 108.4kw at 6600. I sorted out a breakdown we were having at higher RPM since (crank angle sensor getting feedback from coils), so perhaps 112 or so.

So here's the dyno graph - 149hp atw, or 111Kw. I'm surprised at just how linear the graph is - torque curve is almost flat! I haven't collected the car yet so don't know if it feels any different to drive, but it doesn't look like midrange has changed much.

16VALV Power Torque.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. Mine is flat like that too, with a very linear power delivery. It's a great build.

I spent some time this weekend cleaning the car for FCD next weekend. Thought I would take some photos before it gets dirty again!

IMG_0288.jpgIMG_0291.jpgIMG_0293.jpgIMG_0295.jpgIMG_0299.jpgIMG_0302.jpgIMG_0303.jpgIMG_0305.jpgIMG_0290.jpg

Rich this looks excellent. I love the general colour scheme, which is a perfect display of tempered enthusiasm. Such a cheeky and subtle little machine. I like how the wheel stitching matches the seats, making it all look integrated and resolved. The seats look comfortable, are they still on the oem runners and standard height?