rewire OBD plug on a Pug 306 cab 1999 so a scanner can use it?

Erikbm

Fellow Frogger
My 1999 306 cabriolet has an OBD2 plug, but has no wire on the no. 2 pin, which means it won't work with the usual scanner protocols. I know I can buy a specific scanner for about $200, but I already have half a dozen scanners from other cars. I am wondering whether I scan swap some of the wires around on the plug to make it fit the normal protocols?

Is there any clever person out there who knows whether it can be done?

Cheers, Erik

EOBD in Europe dates from 2001. Are you sure the OBD signals are even present?

It has an EOBD2 plug and has a stack of different coloured wires going into it. My understanding is that PSA used the standard plug, but weren't yet ready to comply with the common wiring protocols. They made it work for their own purposes.
This link Diagnostic socket would suggest that you can rewire it to talk to standard protocol scanners, but I can't understand what the link means for me to do.

The CAN bus, which the standard tools are designed to read, signals binary code frames (ie groups of numbers) on the K line - bidirectional. That is pin 7. Chassis ground is 4 and signal ground is 5. The L bus line is 15. Battery voltage is available on 16.

If you have an oscilloscope you can verify a pulsed voltage signal. I think the bus starts with Peugeot 307 though.

On the other hand there may be a tool to read the 306 pins you link to ; but I can't help.

PS What about this - https://www.instructables.com/id/Reading-1996-Peugeot-306-Phase-1-Fault-Codes-2-pin/

Last edited:
I have a 2001 306 cabriolet and it has the 16 pin plug under the dashboard. Having serviced the transmission I tried to reset the dashboard flashing sport/snow lights ,and my recently bought OBD2 reader says can not communicate with car. It sounds like charles is correct. This threads information is excellent. Looks like a trip to Colliers is due.

A mechanic in Sydney. Did the link I posted have the info needed? It isn't an EOBD system, despite the socket.