Restoring headlight to like new

dimistyle

I pretty sure the guys who did mine used a similar process apart from stripping the headlights apart. They scrapped, wet & dry and used a handheld buffer.
Would be good if the plastic stayed clear for a few more years.
I like these guys enginuity in getting the job done.

Haakon

1000+ Posts
I tried a bunch of those methods, including the 2 pack clear coat. All pretty short lived, eventually caved and jsut bought new lights…

I didn’t try the film though, but unless it’s UV proof the plastic still yellows quickly without the factory protection layer on them.

jaahn

1000+ Posts
Hi
I did a pair from a 2000 Toyota Regius import, must be about 7 years ago now. The important thing is to put a clear coat on after removing the old degraded surface by sanding with several grades of wet and dry discs on a drill. I removed the lights and made a good stand with stuff to hold them so I could do it properly. I then bought a small can of normal clear coat paint from SC that enabled several coats for them. They still look good and no signs of frosting yet. Still look the same as my daughter has the car now.
jaahn
PS I did not watch that video, sorry.

Haakon

1000+ Posts
Hi
I did a pair from a 2000 Toyota Regius import, must be about 7 years ago now. The important thing is to put a clear coat on after removing the old degraded surface by sanding with several grades of wet and dry discs on a drill. I removed the lights and made a good stand with stuff to hold them so I could do it properly. I then bought a small can of normal clear coat paint from SC that enabled several coats for them. They still look good and no signs of frosting yet. Still look the same as my daughter has the car now.
jaahn
PS I did not watch that video, sorry.
My clear coat lasted a year tops. And that was a proper UV protected 2 pack and using a proper plastic clear primer...

seasink

1000+ Posts
The products used, at the Amazon addresses supplied, are all out of stock!

Are all the isolated repairing their headlights?