Restoring headlight to like new

I pretty sure the guys who did mine used a similar process apart from stripping the headlights apart. They scrapped, wet & dry and used a handheld buffer.
Would be good if the plastic stayed clear for a few more years.
I like these guys enginuity in getting the job done.

I tried a bunch of those methods, including the 2 pack clear coat. All pretty short lived, eventually caved and jsut bought new lights…

I didn’t try the film though, but unless it’s UV proof the plastic still yellows quickly without the factory protection layer on them.

Hi
I did a pair from a 2000 Toyota Regius import, must be about 7 years ago now. The important thing is to put a clear coat on after removing the old degraded surface by sanding with several grades of wet and dry discs on a drill. I removed the lights and made a good stand with stuff to hold them so I could do it properly. I then bought a small can of normal clear coat paint* from SC that enabled several coats for them. They still look good and no signs of frosting yet. Still look the same as my daughter has the car now.
jaahn
PS I did not watch that video, sorry.
PPS. * Dupli-Color DS117 Top Coat Clear. 150g can

Last edited:
Hi
I did a pair from a 2000 Toyota Regius import, must be about 7 years ago now. The important thing is to put a clear coat on after removing the old degraded surface by sanding with several grades of wet and dry discs on a drill. I removed the lights and made a good stand with stuff to hold them so I could do it properly. I then bought a small can of normal clear coat paint from SC that enabled several coats for them. They still look good and no signs of frosting yet. Still look the same as my daughter has the car now.
jaahn
PS I did not watch that video, sorry.
My clear coat lasted a year tops. And that was a proper UV protected 2 pack and using a proper plastic clear primer...

the BA ute just gets a bit of normal car polish now and again, seems to be OK. This guy that comes up after the OP link...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG54xt56uZo
looks to have it by the short 'n curlies.... :)

Bob

The products used, at the Amazon addresses supplied, are all out of stock!

Are all the isolated repairing their headlights?

I have recently brought back to a decent finish the polycarb headlights on my 2005 Toyato Corolla.
Using a "whitener" type toothpaste. Rubbing it in a section at a time with my fingers/hand, to compare the result.
After letting it dry I lightly sprayed the lens with water drying off and polishing with a microfibre cloth.
I was pleased with the result. I don't know how long it will last but, geez it was cheap enough.

Oh. Why a Toyota Corolla? Bear with, a story for another day!

I have recently brought back to a decent finish the polycarb headlights on my 2005 Toyato Corolla.
Using a "whitener" type toothpaste. Rubbing it in a section at a time with my fingers/hand, to compare the result.
After letting it dry I lightly sprayed the lens with water drying off and polishing with a microfibre cloth.
I was pleased with the result. I don't know how long it will last but, geez it was cheap enough.

Hmm Glad to hear that the old Toyota is still fighting for life o_O
But as I said up above I do not believe you will be happy as they will go frosty again very quickly now as the original UV protection has been removed. I sprayed mine with ordinary paint clear coat several times, from SCA and they are still good years later.
I do not believe some of the utube videots that I saw while i was researching actually knew more that myself, and some were doing it for the first time IMHO. Just looking for 'clicks'. :mad:
Jaahn

Hey, I did the same on a Corolla, why not? Nothing to lose. Wanted to see if it worked and it did. Polished by hand using toothpaste, Brasso, and fine metal polish. Again, just for testing to see what works best. They all work but it's probably better to properly polish, maybe with some machine. I didn't have any, so did it by hand as much as I could. Didn't paint them with anything so they went back to cloudy in a few months. Sold the car.

Further to my above post on yellowing headlights and my toothpaste method. Perhaps, and I say this with tongue in cheek...How would an application of UV ++ sunburn cream go to preserve things ?:spy:

Further to my above post on yellowing headlights and my toothpaste method. Perhaps, and I say this with tongue in cheek...How would an application of UV ++ sunburn cream go to preserve things ?:spy:
Good probably ! Just do as recommended and reapply every two hours ! ;) That should be a easy fix. Of course you can drive at night OK without applying any.
I had my daughters car today for some time and looked at the lights. Great condition and no frosting showing. See how much expensive suncream we saved :cool: Just for interest I looked for the old paint can that I kept in the shed and here it is. Dupli-Color DS117 Top Coat Clear. 150g can.
Jaahn

Or you can get a headlight restoration guy to come to your premises and do all the work for you.
Got two headlights done for less the the replacement cost for one headlight and the repair has a 3 year warranty.
Yes it's cheaper to do it yourself but, if you don't have the time (I didn't) or if you're unsure what polishing paste or sealer to use, this takes all the guesswork out and you won't be left surplus leftover materials that you probably won't use ever again.
Sold the car about a year after the headlights were done and they were still perfect (my cars live outside so have a hard life).

And if there is any leftover you can use the rest to clean your teeth.

Reactions: COL
the lights on my 05 fiat ducato are starting to show crows foot cracking so am looking for replacement options ,the plastic outer lens is clear but seems to be breaking down ,possibly due to UV ,