Restoration of Metallic Green 505 SRDT - Where to get the paint

RASTEVE

Fellow Frogger
Hi folks,

It has been a very long time since I've been on here, so 'Hello' again! After 2 years of Gertrude being off the road and out of rego, I've decided that now I have some shed space, it's a great opportunity to do some work and catch up on the overdue maintenance to get her back on the road. Everything is good mechanically, but the paint is absolutely shot from living outside for the last ten years.

Has anyone purchased the metallic green paint found on the 505, or know where I can get it? Would it need to be specially made these days?

Any advice would be really appreciated!!! Many thanks in advance!!

Cheers, Steve.

Just wander into your local auto-paint place. They'll lookup your car and paint colour and mix it for you. Just choose what paint type you want.... acrylic laquer (kills you slowly) or urethane 2pack (kills you a lot quicker) ... enamels will be somewhere in between ... though will kill you just as quick as the urethanes if you get an activated one :)

seeya,
Shane L.

Just wander into your local auto-paint place. They'll lookup your car and paint colour and mix it for you. Just choose what paint type you want.... acrylic laquer (kills you slowly) or urethane 2pack (kills you a lot quicker) ... enamels will be somewhere in between ... though will kill you just as quick as the urethanes if you get an activated one :)

seeya,
Shane L.

I vote for two pack urethane - it's a horrible death but a beautiful finish. :wink2:

Hi Steve,

I am doing up a R16 TL ( Bronze Corn otherwise known as Baby Poo Brown ) and a R16TS in Trak Yellow. I had no luck at the usual paint places.... too old they said. ( The car, not me!)

I went to see David Hamilton at Auto "N" Industry Spray Paint Supplies, and he took a lot of time and care to match my original Acrylic Lacquer. He is fond of French cars.

He is at Factory 11/ 229 Colchester Rd, Kilsyth, and Ph: 03 8761 6710.

He also made up several spray cans for me ( to practise with).

Good luck

John.

The local place here still has all the colour chips. If it's a laquer car and you want urethane they grab the urethane chips and compare them...until they find one that looks to be an identical colour. the use that paint formula as a base for colour matching your laquer car.

They still sell heaps of acrylic laquer (dulon) here, so I'm not sure why your having problems finding it :) They colour match if you don't have the codes. If you don't have codes, but the car there, they lookup the year and type of car, then grab the colour chips from that year and compare them to your car to work at the right one.

seeya,
shane L.

Most "restoration" panel shops and full boogie smash repairers have a spectral analyser.

Whether they will sell you paint, is a matter of how flexible they are and how much you can spend!

Metallic technology has come along with better paints and more interesting particles; one also has the option of modernising a hue with a COB regime, changing flake size or adding a subtle amount of pearl. It doesn't have to look tacky or hyper - the makers probably would've done it back then, if they could.

Folks... that's huge. Plenty to run with. Many thanks for your time on getting back to me.

Cheers, Steve.