Report on effects of Tire ageing. UK

This topic is more important than most take it for.
I was given 4 new 185x60x15 old tyres recently 2 x Bridgestone Potenza [2011] & 2 Kumho Crugen [2013].
They were all on Subaru rims pumped up & looked new.
Deflated them all, removed from rims & only then could one see the Bridgestone walls had split deterioration & radial cracks all round between the unworn treads. The Kuhmo looked better but I decided to toss them & bought a new set of 1923 Michelins.
The given tyres cost me $26 to dump!

I'm already cross-eyed from being on the net waaaaay too long today, and that's a long article.

If someone with more patience than me could sum it up in a paragraph or two, I would be very happy. :cool:

And they get old really quickly!

This topic is more important than most take it for.
I was given 4 new 185x60x15 old tyres recently 2 x Bridgestone Potenza [2011] & 2 Kumho Crugen [2013].
They were all on Subaru rims pumped up & looked new.
Deflated them all, removed from rims & only then could one see the Bridgestone walls had split deterioration & radial cracks all round between the unworn treads. The Kuhmo looked better but I decided to toss them & bought a new set of 2023 Michelins.
The given tyres cost me $26 to dump!
2023 Michelins not 1923

I usually notice the tyres getting harder and less grippy after 3 years if they've lasted that long. Worst set of tyres for aging I had was a set of Continental CCC5s, within the space of 1 year they went from the best gripping tyre in the wet I ever had, to the worst. Two of them had worn pretty low by then so I decided to buy 2 new ones the same and give them another chance. They were date stamped the same as the previous ones and were lethal on the wet from new. I changed all 4 tyres to Pirelli P6s a couple of weeks after that. I've had a few sets of those now without issue.

My mother bought a new Suzuki Vitara in 2021. It had Continental EcoContact 5 tyres.They also went hard and slippery about a year later. I was travelling with her in the wet and we were going through the Kiama bends and you could feel from the passengers seat how squirrely it was, but thankfully the stability software was keepy the car on track. I got her to replace them with Pirelli Powergys. They seem great so far. She should wear through them before they go too hard.

2023 Michelins not 1923
I saw that and thought "wow he's found a set of new old stock Michelin "Cables", how cool is that"!!!😎
Now I'm deflated, pardon the pun.😔😉

Michelin,_advertising,_1922.png

Get the Conti they put on the GLA 45s then you don't have to worry about your tyres dying due to old age, the dam things, front tyres only, were done @ 12500km in normal driving (mainly female driver). No, the alignment was fine.

Here is an article that might interest members on Ageing !!:rolleyes: Not people, we know how that goes ?? Tires.
It Is a UK official study so might have some status. Mostly aimed at commercials but covers general areas.
https://assets.publishing.service.g...erial-properties-and-structural-integrity.pdf
Happy reading ;)
yep, ta!

On Contis:
Conti is my favourite manufacturer & one merit of most their upper-range tyres is time-stable wet-compounding. That said, I do not recommend the ComfortContact or EcoContact series. The former on soggy-response grounds & the latter on wet grip grounds owing to over much tilting of the compromise towards fuel efficiency. The earlier EC3 I have had, liked in the wet & had good wet grip persist. They were recommended. I think that the later ones have tilted more to the eco end of the spectrum.
On wear: longevity & wet grip are still largely contra-indicated for compounding. Personally, I am happy to trade off the former for the latter.

On eco tyres generally: it's not just Conti though, no-one's "eco" types are very wet-capable,

I've got 15 vehicles I need to change the tyres on stat!
I'll get onto that in the morni..............😴
Can get multi stud pattern wheels, only need one set for 15 cars

Can get multi stud pattern wheels, only need one set for 15 cars
Don't like the odds of them stocking a set that will fit both a 3 wheel Reliant and a Ford F250.
But hey you never know.🤔

You really only need one wheel nut per rim, the rest are there to make you feel secure.
You only have one nut on your steering wheel, why worry
Much as I admire your "enthusiasm" for wheel sharing, the Reliant wheel wouldn't fit over the F250's brake drum and the F250 wheel wouldn't fit under the Reliant's bodywork so I'll definitely have to lash out on at least 2 sets of tyres.
I'll probably do the Reliant first as its supercharged 3 wheeled goodness is probably going to feel as safe as houses wearing a brand spanking new set of boots.😐😐😐.............🙃🙃🤣🤣

I'll probably do the Reliant first as its supercharged 3 wheeled goodness is probably going to feel as safe as houses wearing a brand spanking new set of boots.😐😐😐.............🙃🙃🤣🤣
Let me guess - if it doesn't slide it rolls?

Let me guess - if it doesn't slide it rolls?
Correct. I read an old British "Motor Cycle" magazine test on my model Reliant when it first came out (1962).
They tried their little hearts out to get it to roll, but it just kept sliding on the crossply tyres that they were equipped with when new.
They eventually got it to tip by flinging it onto full
LH lock while doing 30 mph in a straiģht line.