replacing oil filter on a D Special

Ron from sa

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,
I am in the process of replacing the oil filter on my D. What a wretched job that is! I am looking at the manual which mentions the two arrows for lining up the cartridge holder so that the slot in the rim is in the right place. How CRUCIAL is this? or can there be a difference of some degrees in its position? I say this because when I took it off it was clearly not in the place it should have been. is this a problem?
Ron

If you have the oil filter in the correct position, before you torque the centre bolt down it will rotate back and forth maybe 10 degrees. IF you have the oil filter misaligned you will not have any oil pressure. Also, be sure to torque the centre bolt exactly to spec. Too little and you will lose oil pressure, too much and you will crack the oil pump, which means an engine-out repair.

If you have the oil filter in the correct position, before you torque the centre bolt down it will rotate back and forth maybe 10 degrees. IF you have the oil filter misaligned you will not have any oil pressure. Also, be sure to torque the centre bolt exactly to spec. Too little and you will lose oil pressure, too much and you will crack the oil pump, which means an engine-out repair.
Hi John,
If I understand your reply, do you mean it is OK to be within that back and forth 10 degrees? Or should it be exactly in the centre.
Ron

A note on changing D oil filters....

After removing the old filter , with a bright light inspect up inside the filter mounting hole, to ensure that the rubber sealing washers from previous filters has been removed.
If a previous washer remains it can dislodge and block the pump inlet.
This has killed several engines over the years.

Hi all,
I am in the process of replacing the oil filter on my D. What a wretched job that is! I am looking at the manual which mentions the two arrows for lining up the cartridge holder so that the slot in the rim is in the right place. How CRUCIAL is this? or can there be a difference of some degrees in its position? I say this because when I took it off it was clearly not in the place it should have been. is this a problem?
Ron
Its quite an easy job if you have the car on on ramps or a hoist. Access is good from beneath.

To save crawling under a car ... a 20second google search found a picture of the arrows for you. These MUST be lined up as shown.

cache_2468621455.JPG

Fellows, the question was not whether you have to line up the triangles, it was how far off alignment can they be. John answered it: a few degrees. So Ron, given your engine is clearly not dead, just follow John's and Bobs advice. Yes, it is a filthy job, but many of us have done it lots of times.

Roger

Thanks all for your advice. I checked out the top plate of the filter holder and after a good clean up was able to see a very feint red arrow. I will now tweek the position as per double chevron's image - I figure I may as well after taking the cover off anyway.

Thanks all for your advice. I checked out the top plate of the filter holder and after a good clean up was able to see a very feint red arrow. I will now tweek the position as per double chevron's image - I figure I may as well after taking the cover off anyway.
My question may have been covered elsewhere but where can I purchase oil filters, "O" rings and gaskets for a DS oil change in Australia?

My question may have been covered elsewhere but where can I purchase oil filters, "O" rings and gaskets for a DS oil change in Australia?
Steeley at Just Cits could send you one.

Ian Steele's Just Cits

574 Montville Rd, Maleny Q 4552

Ph:07-5494 2539

John

Steeley at Just Cits could send you one.

Ian Steele's Just Cits

574 Montville Rd, Maleny Q 4552

Ph:07-5494 2539

John
John
Well that was a big success. I now have 2 filters plus "O" rings and gasket. Ian is a real pleasure to deal with and very fast. Thanks for the lead
Rob