Renaults in current Mags

davemcbean

Guru
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
It's a bit of a Renault feast at the moment.

In the August issue of "Classic & Sportscar" there is a road test comparison between an Alpine A110 1600S and a Lotus Europa Twin Cam.

.. but the real surprise is that in the July issue of "Thoroughbred & Classic Cars" there is a road test comparison between an R12 Gordini and a stack of other small hotties and naturally the R12 comes out on top. Then to top it all off the same magazine also has a road test comparison between a Renault Caravelle and a few other soft tops.

It's great to see Renaults getting such prominence in classic car mags.

Dave

And the 4CV in the July Practical Classics.

Ren cheers!

Were the 12 Gordinis ever sold in Australia (albeit in extremely limited numbers) or are the ones here all private imports from the UK?

David Cavanagh or somebody else will have the exact details, but Renault Australia imported about 6 R12 Gordinis in the early 70s for motorsport.

Dave

B E R E T:
Were the 12 Gordinis ever sold in Australia (albeit in extremely limited numbers) or are the ones here all private imports from the UK?
Officially there is only 6 R12 Gordini's out here but history shows that 7 were bought here by Renault Australia and one was sacraficed.

Interesting that I've never found confermation of any 12G's in England and the one in the mag I believe to be a fake, it has no petrol filler on the left quarter panel and a standard R12 dashboard, (no oil pressure and oil temp gauges on the right side on the instruments). I believe that car is a very good copy but not the real thing, still it's a very good article.

Interesting it's only got the standard 12G motor with only 125HP, imagine what the poms would think with our 160HP versions.

Still it's good to see it in there.

David.

davemcbean:

.. but the real surprise is that in the July issue of "Thoroughbred & Classic Cars" there is a road test comparison between an R12 Gordini and a stack of other small hotties and naturally the R12 comes out on top. Then to top it all off the same magazine also has a road test comparison between a Renault Caravelle and a few other soft tops.
Hey Guys! Did anyone get a copy of this issue? I unsuccessfully tried to get a copy from various news agents ... was very interested in reading about the R12 Gordini comparison. Would it be possible if anyone caught a copy to upload a copy of the article online??

question

Merci

Sylvain whip

In the latest Practical Classic's Mag there is a awesome artice on a few Gordini models.
The Dauphine, R8G, R12G,R17G and R5G

Its a good article

And the clio 2.0 in the "motor magazine bang for your bucks" i think it is... :p

In the October '03 Classic & Sports Car theres a few pages on a recreated Type K that Louis and Marcel raced in the 1902 Paris-Vienna race. Of course, Marcel won this race in the Type K 3143cc.

He died the following year in the Paris-Madrid race with a modified version of the Type K, the Type 0, which had a 6.9l engine.