Renault Triple SU's?

Stuey

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Seen in the Quokka Online, in WA - "RENAULT 40mm, Triple SU carbies, new air filter, (3) $AUS450 the lot."

What are these off? :confused:

Stuey

I've seen twin SU on a manifold that were allegedly able to fit on the R10/R12 Sierra motors. The guy selling them was a Renault enthusiast so they probably were kosher. (Very tempted to buy them but was somewhat broke at the time, still am for that matter)
Triple 40mm SU's, I don't think so. Like Ray said, probably 40mm sidedraft Webbers.

Ren
cheers!

hi guys,

Ray, form memory, ( cheers! not so reliable)the early R8G, had twin solex carbs, and the later 1255cc R8G had the twin webers. Someone may be able to correct me.
May-be the triple SU could have been on an early A310 V6??? Who knows with reggie, they have so many different configurations on their cars.
Cheers, Chris

You're right, Orange17... Solexes. I had one of those engines once... wonder where it is now?

Anyway, I rang the guy... nobody will believe this!

They are SUs, triple SUs... off... wait for it...

a red motor!

No, I didn't mention that...

I rang and said I wanted to know about the carbies, and I asked what they were. "Triple SUs," he answered.

"What are they off?" I asked...

"A red motor," he said. Not Holden, not anything but 'red motor'.

This must have been misheard when he phoned in the ad as 'Renault'... wonder if he'll ever find the ad?

Yes, I did wonder about the 40mm thing. Just assumed he'd measured them roughly by rule because SU's aren't marked by size.

...I forgot, the later SU's are known by their metric sizes officially - like HIF 38, HIF 44. Not in the red motor era, though.

Oh, right... never heard of them. And it's no wonder, haven't played with SUs for thirty years or so... except the Jap copies on my Datsun.

And I must have been wrong about that size, of course, 40mm is nearer to 1 1/2", isn't it?

Reckon I might ring the guy back a bit later on and ask if he's had many calls... and tell him about his stuff-up. Or their stuff-up.

Hahaha mallet never even occured to me the dimensions he gave were in mm.....sac-re-blu, putting anything from a red motor within sight of a french car :mad:

....tis funny though....we should do a series in the humour column about stuff ups in for sale ads. (saw one in the Weekend shopper today here in Bris for a cedar chair at the end of the auto parts section??????

a_drink Chris