Renault tractor

I guess Google the filter cartridge part number and see what else it fits? There would be a fair chance if the cartridge is the same on something else the housing would be similar?

No luck on a filter cartridge, out of stock in Aus and way too expensive from France. Local Auto One parts guy, who is used to my strange parts requests searched the dimensions in a few data banks and found an Alfa Fiat cartridge that I could cut and shut.
The layer of Belzona 1111 reduced the id of the housing, the smaller diameter of the "custom" cartridge works great. After I assembled all the bits, the cancellation of the B1000 top ten due to rain gave me time to fire it up at 5.30pm.
Warmed it up, ran for a while and no leaks, dry as ! So far so good, but hey, it's just an old tractor, not an endurance race car.

TRIDCC6.jpg

TRIBDBB.jpg

Good solution!

With the amount of use it's going to get. you could probably get away with having no filter (or a lot of oil bypassing the filter element) and just change the oil frequently. The cheapest engine oil you can find will be more than good enough. Long-stroke DS19 and ID19 engines have no oil filter at all and some of us are still driving them 60-odd years later.

Roger

No luck on a filter cartridge, out of stock in Aus and way too expensive from France. Local Auto One parts guy, who is used to my strange parts requests searched the dimensions in a few data banks and found an Alfa Fiat cartridge that I could cut and shut.
The layer of Belzona 1111 reduced the id of the housing, the smaller diameter of the "custom" cartridge works great. After I assembled all the bits, the cancellation of the B1000 top ten due to rain gave me time to fire it up at 5.30pm.
Warmed it up, ran for a while and no leaks, dry as ! So far so good, but hey, it's just an old tractor, not an endurance race car.

View attachment 211139

View attachment 211140
excellent. Did you manage to seal up the housing itself?

Housing all sealed perfectly, still dry after running up to operating temp and cycling a few times over a couple of days. Seals each end of cartridge to make sure oil passes through new filter. Now back to tuning the old solex updraft carb.

Now back to the mysteries of tuning the Solex carb. There is a strange brass fittng that p...sses fuel out when I try to run the engine. It is open to atmosphere and seems to be some type of choke. I have changed the orientation from facing down, front or up but nothing stops it leaking fuel.
It's not a needle and seat issue, it is gravity feed, no fuel pump, it only leaks when the engine runs and it spits fuel out. It looks like a brass jet holder but there is no internal thread. Maybe something is missing ? I have not been able to find any detailed pics of this carb to check if there is some part missing.

T1.jpg

T2.jpg

T3.jpg

T5.jpg

H'mm, not sure that I have seen a similar device previously.

Visually it appears that the device consists of a part turn rotory disc valve that presents different size orifices to matching galleries in the main body of the carburetter. I wonder if this is an air bleed that provides some altitude corrector function of some sort? I wonder if the external brass "jet" is simply a breather to atmosphere?

I would be investigating the internal circuits, passages and galleries of the main carburetter body to understand where any fuel could be coming from that gets into the circuit that this device controls.

Cheers.

H'mm, not sure that I have seen a similar device previously.

Visually it appears that the device consists of a part turn rotory disc valve that presents different size orifices to matching galleries in the main body of the carburetter. I wonder if this is an air bleed that provides some altitude corrector function of some sort? I wonder if the external brass "jet" is simply a breather to atmosphere?

I would be investigating the internal circuits, passages and galleries of the main carburetter body to understand where any fuel could be coming from that gets into the circuit that this device controls.

Cheers.

Its a solex carby choke assembly. The old tractions and ID's use a similar carby, but it misses that leaky brass jet. Fuel should not be able to get over to that, I would be thinking thre is something missing inside the carby that is allowing fuel over to the choke circuit.

actually ... looking at htat picture ... that is so high in the carby it can't possibly be needle/seat .... etc, is there a blocking plate missing inside the carby that blocks the fuel inlet from reaching the choke circuit?

no, that's the throttle spindle in green.... not the fuel inlet. I'm thinking blocked idle jets (or circuit) is causing the fuel to be drawn up into the wrong circuits.

Finally it starts and idles without spitting fuel everywhere. There is more detail in the SOLEX carb thread I started under the “Technical and Performance” section.

The two final changes were to make a new gasket based on the photos provided by Col, the old gasket was a poor copy which blocked one chamber and failed to seal another. I also changed the linkage to open the butterfly further to allow more air in, but keeping the revs under 1800rpm.

Thanks for all the input and info from AF members.

I should contact the other owner in WA and suggest they join Aussie Frogs to get the info required to revive another R3042.

There is a lot more on the list now. The engine really bogs down as soon as any load is applied, it takes some time to recover and build revs. The severe blow by, mostly number 3 cylinder, suggests a full engine rebuild is required before this tractor will be able to do any meaningful work. The mysteries of the governor also need to be solved. The previous owner could not figure it out and changed the accelerator linkages to bypass the governor. That could have something to do with the way the engine dies and takes a long time to recover when load is applied. I'm used to things that burst into action as soon as the throttle is touched.

Good news is the hydraulics seem to work, I was surprised the three point link raised as soon as I engaged it and pulled the lever.

renault_tractor.jpg

is this a renault tractor? the front blade could be handy if you have a long gravel driveway!

here's the link.

rt.jpg

looks to use the rear linkage to lift the blade. The blade looks very heavy duty in the piccies.
rt2.jpg
rt3.jpg
rt5.jpg
rt6.jpg

Attachments

• rt4.jpg
    rt4.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 81
It looks to be about a year or two older than mine. Thanks for the info. The link doesn't work for me, I'm not on facebook.

Italian huh? Next you’ll be telling me Gordini was an Austrian.