Renault Megane Audio-it sucks

dwj

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi-new member to this forum and hoping to tap into some accumulated expertise/knowledge.

Recently purchased a 2013 megane 220GT wagon with premium pack . New to Renault after 30 years of Alfa's .A fan of affordable manual sportswagons so that led me to the megane as my Alfa 156 wagon was getting a bit long in the tooth..

Car has 54k on it and in excellent condition. Happy with most aspects of the car. It handles well and I have grown accustomed to the firm ride at low speeds.

A couple of things irritate. The audio system is almost unlistenable. I have replaced the front door 4" speakers with some morel 5.25" and lined the front doors with damping material with negligible effect. Cabin is quieter but stereo still crap even with rear speakers off..

This audio issue does not seem to be exclusive to the 2013 gt220 as the same system seems to have been used across multiple models and years

The inherent software and built in dsp settings make it nearly impossible to strike any happy medium. I note there was an apparent improvement in post 2016 models .

Has anyone successfully integrated an aftermarket receiver /cd/dab/bluetooth without compromising the navigation system or the cameras? Searching forums on the web has failed to find a solution.

I suspect head unit may require replacing as well? I did find an "upgrade" harness on ebay that retained steering wheel controls but the seller was unable to advise on much else.

Of lesser importance to me is the somewhat anaemic engine/exhaust sound. Certainly not a priority and not looking to disturb the neighbours but any experience on cost effective changes would be appreciated.

cheers
David

Hi David & welcome to Aussiefrogs

I also have a Megane GT220 wagon, mine is a 2015 with 135,000 Km on the clock and is the base model.

I agree with what you say about the stereo system. I have also turned off the rear speakers because they sound terrible, I think there is something wrong with them because they sound all distorted. I am going to purchase some replacement speakers, but the jury is still out on what to get.

What speakers did you get?

Hi everyone, new member, just picked up a GT220 2014. I have to agree, I only noticed when driving home, the rear speakers sound terrible. They can't handle any amount of bass, sounds like a dull knock.

I've upgraded my Peugeot 406 Coupe with Alpine 'S' series. 'R' series are their premium product, but the S series is sensational value for money. They come in a variety of options as direct replacements for factory speakers - ie oval, round, coaxial tweeters or seperate tweeters. Sound great. Eg S7x5

In reply to Col as I mentioned I bought some Morel component speakers to replace the front in doors-these also came with replacement tweeters but it was obvious the tweeters were not an issue so haven't used them yet.

These were not cheap-

I had used a cheaper morel 3 way 6.25" ($400 front and back) version in my previous car with great results .

This car also has rlink sat nav but unsure how that relates to sound quality. More a compatibility issue with receiver upgrades as I understand it.

Thanks for the input of others-bass distortion as noted is the prime issue .If I do find a solution-and I suspect it will be costly -will provide an update.

I should add that I suspect the speaker sound is potentially symptomatic of a ill conceived dsp /software setup.

Somethings gone wacko with the clock the last post was at 8.10PM and its only7.30 ish here on the east coast ?not that its important but im layed up in hospital and frogs is my only contact with the world ATM

Somethings gone wacko with the clock the last post was at 8.10PM and its only7.30 ish here on the east coast ?not that its important but im layed up in hospital and frogs is my only contact with the world ATM
Have a look at you settings in Aussiefrogs

I was driving around in my 2014 Meglll Red Bull today and it’s sound system is fine but it has the RLink Sat Nav in it.
We also have a 2013 Meglll GT220 which doesn’t have the R Link but it still sounds ok and even the Mrs agrees
G'day,
we have similar era, 2013 Latitude with Rlink system, sound system is fine, bass is there if you want it. Speaker grilles indicate Bose.
Bob

There are plug and play options for external amps with a built in DSP. Or you can go nuts with a custom install. There were also some problems i think with the tweeters not being connected at the factory?

But the headunit is basically fine, just needs the help of an amp and DSP to sound properly decent. You can also squeeze 6 inch speakers in with a little fettling I think.

The ozrenaultsport forum has a few threads on audio in these.

I just replaced my rear speakers, one was definitely blown, and it sounds pretty good now.

Gee , I never use my stereo when having fun, that is always.
Hitting the redline highs is music to my ears
Get the RevHeadz app for some variation

What did you get and did you stay with the 13cm standard size?
I used Pioneer TS-A1370F 13cm. I cut the old speakers off the spacers to reuse them and managed to solder to the old plug socket .

Last edited:
Reactions: COL
Hi Dave,
My experience mirrors yours but I can add some observations based in experience.
In 2014 I leased a 2013 Megane 3 dci 110 Bose Edition coupe (the sexiest of the Meg 3 shapes but with a non-neck snapping 81kw diesel to keep fuel costs reasonable) to drive all over Europe. Apart from performance which wouldn't have troubled a snail drizzled in garlic butter, it was a fantastic little car to potter around in with a genuinely superb stereo - the aforementioned Bose Edition. I'm an audiophile and have played with car audio upgrades for decades in every car I have owned, but here was a system that made my ears swoon straight out of the factory. It was tight, crisp, full, accurate, powerful, so full of 'stage' and beautifully balanced across the full frequency range. I was in love.

As most here are probably aware however, the Meg 3 coupes only ever made it to Australia in Renault Sport form, and having been a Renaultphile since my 90s foray into Fuegos, I rekindled the love when I got home and bought an RS265. Enough ink has been spilt by many others over the performance aspect of the RS250/265/275 Meganes that I don't need to say any more.

What I will say is that to call the 265's stereo 'woeful' is an insult to Woes everywhere. Everything the diesel Bose Edition had in spades, the RS265 lacks in equal spades. In fact, it's so bad I almost want to giggle in despair every time I go near the audio controls since I know what it could have been. I'm not the only one - the online forums are full of much wailing and gnashing of teeth by non-Bose Meg3 owners and some local audio installer professionals are happy to provide a frank assessment.

So I did some research to get my hands on a Bose system. The short answer (for the Meg3 anyway) is Bzzzz-dadow!!! I was told at the time by Renault Aust (so I make no assertions as to its veracity) that the Bose Edition was not and likely would not be sold in Australia - various reasons were proffered as to why/why not ('may become available as an option later', 'cost', 'no current plans' and my favourite 'the (sub)woofer enclosure wouldn't fit in RHD cars' (as obviously European cars are LHD and the enclosure is located under the passenger seat of LHD cars).

So I have been playing with mine. I have piggybacked the speaker feed and spliced in a Kicker CXA600.1 amp driving a pair of Alpine R2-W8D2 subs in a custom box fitted behind the seats. The bass is very satisfying but honestly overkill for the rest of the system. My next project is to make a fibreglass sub-enclosure to fit in the spare wheel (or wheel well; I haven't decided yet as I have some volumetric calculations to do) and fit a single sub. Swapping out the fronts for 5.25" Focals did not make enough difference to justify the cost. I think a lot more sound-deadening, door-sealing and a dedicated amp are needed to make them work properly. Having pulled the trim off the back speakers, which is an exercise for a truly dedicated masochist, I just backed away slowly in disbelief. That they work at all is a miracle they are so flimsily attached and obviously cheap.

I feel your pain if you are referring to having Arkamys DSP in your head unit. Again, I find it laughable that software which is allegedly designed to compensate for the less than ideal audio environment of a car actually makes the listening experience worse. The problem with replacing the head unit that I can discern (but good luck trying to find anyone who knows anything of value; and not including its curved trapezoidal face), is getting it to talk to the R-Link (in my car at least), the stalk controls, and the rest of the electronics. I haven't been game to swap the head unit out and I gather from the article linked above the professionals didn't touch it either.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 265 and will almost forgive the electronic ear-torture device that Renault fitted to it... but I don't know that I would be so forgiving of it if the rest of the car didn't make me grin like an idiot.

So, based on my experience, I'd spend my money on quality front speakers with a dedicated amp, subwoofer (and amp as nec), improved door sound deadening and sealing and maybe tweaking the tweeters. The reverse camera installation is a story for another post.

I used Pioneer TS-A1370F 13cm. I cut the old speakers off the spacers to reuse them and managed to solder to the old plug socket .
I have ordered a pair of Pioneer TS-A1370F, when they arrive and I have them installed I will report back my findings.

Hi Dave,
My experience mirrors yours but I can add some observations based in experience.
In 2014 I leased a 2013 Megane 3 dci 110 Bose Edition coupe (the sexiest of the Meg 3 shapes but with a non-neck snapping 81kw diesel to keep fuel costs reasonable) to drive all over Europe. Apart from performance which wouldn't have troubled a snail drizzled in garlic butter, it was a fantastic little car to potter around in with a genuinely superb stereo - the aforementioned Bose Edition. I'm an audiophile and have played with car audio upgrades for decades in every car I have owned, but here was a system that made my ears swoon straight out of the factory. It was tight, crisp, full, accurate, powerful, so full of 'stage' and beautifully balanced across the full frequency range. I was in love.

As most here are probably aware however, the Meg 3 coupes only ever made it to Australia in Renault Sport form, and having been a Renaultphile since my 90s foray into Fuegos, I rekindled the love when I got home and bought an RS265. Enough ink has been spilt by many others over the performance aspect of the RS250/265/275 Meganes that I don't need to say any more.

What I will say is that to call the 265's stereo 'woeful' is an insult to Woes everywhere. Everything the diesel Bose Edition had in spades, the RS265 lacks in equal spades. In fact, it's so bad I almost want to giggle in despair every time I go near the audio controls since I know what it could have been. I'm not the only one - the online forums are full of much wailing and gnashing of teeth by non-Bose Meg3 owners and some local audio installer professionals are happy to provide a frank assessment.

So I did some research to get my hands on a Bose system. The short answer (for the Meg3 anyway) is Bzzzz-dadow!!! I was told at the time by Renault Aust (so I make no assertions as to its veracity) that the Bose Edition was not and likely would not be sold in Australia - various reasons were proffered as to why/why not ('may become available as an option later', 'cost', 'no current plans' and my favourite 'the (sub)woofer enclosure wouldn't fit in RHD cars' (as obviously European cars are LHD and the enclosure is located under the passenger seat of LHD cars).

So I have been playing with mine. I have piggybacked the speaker feed and spliced in a Kicker CXA600.1 amp driving a pair of Alpine R2-W8D2 subs in a custom box fitted behind the seats. The bass is very satisfying but honestly overkill for the rest of the system. My next project is to make a fibreglass sub-enclosure to fit in the spare wheel (or wheel well; I haven't decided yet as I have some volumetric calculations to do) and fit a single sub. Swapping out the fronts for 5.25" Focals did not make enough difference to justify the cost. I think a lot more sound-deadening, door-sealing and a dedicated amp are needed to make them work properly. Having pulled the trim off the back speakers, which is an exercise for a truly dedicated masochist, I just backed away slowly in disbelief. That they work at all is a miracle they are so flimsily attached and obviously cheap.

I feel your pain if you are referring to having Arkamys DSP in your head unit. Again, I find it laughable that software which is allegedly designed to compensate for the less than ideal audio environment of a car actually makes the listening experience worse. The problem with replacing the head unit that I can discern (but good luck trying to find anyone who knows anything of value; and not including its curved trapezoidal face), is getting it to talk to the R-Link (in my car at least), the stalk controls, and the rest of the electronics. I haven't been game to swap the head unit out and I gather from the article linked above the professionals didn't touch it either.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 265 and will almost forgive the electronic ear-torture device that Renault fitted to it... but I don't know that I would be so forgiving of it if the rest of the car didn't make me grin like an idiot.

So, based on my experience, I'd spend my money on quality front speakers with a dedicated amp, subwoofer (and amp as nec), improved door sound deadening and sealing and maybe tweaking the tweeters. The reverse camera installation is a story for another post.
Thats a neat little sub, cant think why it wouldn't fit under the "drivers" seat :)

I wonder if this was one of the critical Australian specifications that FCAI mentioned when they were talking up the dangers of grey importing and the risk to consumers it represented from getting cars "not specified to Australian conditions"... :rolleyes:

You can have a lot of fun with audio, and it needed be big bucks. I have these in our Alfa Giulietta driven by a neat little Class D amp stashed up behind the glovebox and its lovely! https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c.../silver-flute-w17rc38-04-ohm-6-1/2-wool-cone/

Also a lot of deadening in the doors and some nice smooth silk tweeters and it sounds better than the Bose option the G had and I dont even have a subwoofer!

Hi Dave,

I was thinking after reading your post, would it be possible to remove the entire Bose system from one of the Renault models that are Bose equipped and transplant that into a Megane Mk3?

My GT220 is the base model and does not have the control centre that is located just behind the gear lever.

There is also offerings from China with upgrades from companies such as Belsee. But after reading mixed reviews i'm not so sure if this is the right way to go.