Renault Megane 2 RS (videos inside!)

mi16_weapon said:
yeah, i cant get the second video... can you email it or something??
I would like but the video makes 30mb...it's too big by email. :(
Solution: ftp server or P2P.

XTC206 said:
Surprised it's not quicker to the 100 ... but once it gets moving, looks like it sure does get up and boogie !!!!

- XTC206 -

I think contrary, 6,5s is already a good performance in the "absolu" and compared to its rivals it's very well.

---MRS vs FWD---:

Ford Focus RS (215hp): 7s.
Alfa Romeo 147 GTA (250hp): 6,9s.
Honda Civic Type R (200hp): 7,2s.
Seat Leon Cupra R (225hp): 7,1s.

---MRS vs 4WD---:

Audi A3 V6 (250hp): 6,5s.
VW Golf IV R32 (241hp): 7s.
Subaru Impreza WRX (225hp): 6s.

;)

PS: the tests of the MRS are very numerous in the European press, I will try to make some to you profit. :)
Divided and contradictory according to the source of the magazine, remains a thing certain: it's a GT (like old S3 or 147 GTA) before to be a pure and hard sporting car like a Civic Type R... while waiting for a future Ragnotti/Cup version!

Lapalisse said:
.........snip......
Divided and contradictory according to the source of the magazine, remains a thing certain: it's a GT (like old S3 or 147 GTA) before to be a pure and hard sporting car like a Civic Type R... while waiting for a future Ragnotti/Cup version!

Yes, that's an interesting summation - it's more like a rapid, comforable touring car than and out and out sports car. Maybe more so when you compare it to a MK1 GTI, or 205 GTi, or even something like an Elise maybe. This is the direction of 'Hot Hatches' - especially when you look at the R32 and 147GTA. I still think 'Hyper Hatch' is appropriate too! :D

The original MK1 GTI had 110hp, so when this thing now has 225hp, even with all the extra weight, it still has 'performance' available when called on. It's certainly quicker in a straight line than the classic Series1 205 GTi (call a S1 205 GTi classic hey I hear you say...) but the driving experience seems to be becoming blunter with each iteration of the 'Hot Hatch'.

Lapalisse said:
I think contrary, 6,5s is already a good performance in the "absolu" and compared to its rivals it's very well.
Not saying it's slow (it's bloody quick!)... just a standard Clio is 7s - cup versions quicker, I guess if it had been 225 horses and ONLY 1100kg it's be a different story, those extra pounds sure change things .... the question is .. will the Clio ever see this engine ?

- XTC206 -

Great pics arent they. That car is so nice.....
francais.gif

N5GTi6 said:
It's certainly quicker in a straight line than the classic Series1 205 GTi (call a S1 205 GTi classic hey I hear you say...) but the driving experience seems to be becoming blunter with each iteration of the 'Hot Hatch'.
Two little things .. safety and emissions .. combined with people higher expectations of comfort, the raw edged cars of the 80's are likely never to truly return. :disappr: :cry:

- XTC206 -

XTC206 said:
Two little things .. safety and emissions .. combined with people higher expectations of comfort, the raw edged cars of the 80's are likely never to truly return. :disappr: :cry:

- XTC206 -

Fashions come, fashions go..... we can still hope

N5GTi6 said:
I beleive that it fits into the new HyperHatch category, and not just the HotHatch segment. This would put it in with the 147GTA, the S3 (A3 3.2V6) etc, which would put the price up near AUD$60K - ouch!

Value for money is going to be a key concern with the new car when it eventually arrives here. I agree with the aforementioned late $50s or even $60's. At that sort of money one starts to wonder.
I ordered an R32 last year which arrived a couple of weeks ago. I went for the test drive and well.......... its ok. It feels heavy for starters. The 4wd is clattery at low speed. Its very torquey but has no top end rush like rs clio. Doesnt feel that fast. Yeah, early 6 seconds maybe. Exhaust is too loud. Sounds great but would get very annoying over time. And the worst thing, it understeers. Clio is more fun I think, and half the price. The clio would be taking it around the outside.
Problem for 225 is going to be the new S3. Will have same motor as R32 (V6) but likely more power and better setup. And it will probably be $60s, maybe $70K. My thinking is that the new S3 will likely beat the crap out of every of hatch around. 225 is going to have to be significantly cheaper to get any buyers. I predict if it goes anywhere over $55K noone will touch it.

blacklotus99 said:
I ordered an R32 last year which arrived a couple of weeks ago. I went for the test drive and well.......... its ok. It feels heavy for starters. The 4wd is clattery at low speed. Its very torquey but has no top end rush like rs clio. Doesnt feel that fast. Yeah, early 6 seconds maybe. Exhaust is too loud. Sounds great but would get very annoying over time. And the worst thing, it understeers. Clio is more fun I think, and half the price. The clio would be taking it around the outside.
When you say 'ordered' does this mean you bought one? By the way low 6's is only one second slower than the Shamal! ;)

blacklotus99 said:
Value for money is going to be a key concern with the new car when it eventually arrives here. I agree with the aforementioned late $50s or even $60's. At that sort of money one starts to wonder.
Problem for 225 is going to be the new S3. Will have same motor as R32 (V6) but likely more power and better setup. And it will probably be $60s, maybe $70K. My thinking is that the new S3 will likely beat the crap out of every of hatch around. 225 is going to have to be significantly cheaper to get any buyers. I predict if it goes anywhere over $55K noone will touch it.

Thanks for your feedback on the R32 BlackLotus99. I'm just interested in your opinion on why you think the new S3 (will it be called an S3 or just an A3 3.2?) will be so much better than the R32? You mention engine power, but more details on the 'better setup' please? Anything else about the new S3? I saw the A3 3.2 at the motor show last year and was quietly impressed by the subtle looks and promise of performance.

The new A3's will be VERY expensive.

A3 3.2 will be 80K plus

A top spec 2.0 FSI will be approaching 60K

Base model 1.6 Manual will be over 40K

I know it's a great car but those prices are laughable.

Stuey said:
When you say 'ordered' does this mean you bought one? By the way low 6's is only one second slower than the Shamal! ;)
His .sig says 2004 Clio.

I think the 5 door version of the MRS will be a great excuse for dads who want a fun car that's not a WRX and need to get the kids in the back easily ...

- XTC206 -

macquered said:
The new A3's will be VERY expensive.

A3 3.2 will be 80K plus

A top spec 2.0 FSI will be approaching 60K

Base model 1.6 Manual will be over 40K

I know it's a great car but those prices are laughable.

where did you get these info from?
intersted to know. Because a dealer estimated the A3 3.2 at under 75 (we went and asked for it). and this http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content-new/news/features/2004/02/26/FFX2C87O3RD.html has estimated it at 75k. given the current 1.6 starts at 35, its very hard to beilieve the new one will start at over 40.

And especially given the UK price, a direct conversions puts the
A3 3.2 at 65k (£25,525)
A3 2.0 FSI sport man at 48k (£19,320)

Last edited:
Stuey said:

I ordered the R32 back in august last year when I heard it was coming here. I have my name and $1000 on a car that is in sydney ready to be delivered. Of course it was ordered subject to test drive which I did the other day. A friend in the uk has one and recommended it and it had very good write ups in car and evo etc. Safe to say from my previous "review" I didnt see it that way. Dont think I will be taking delivery. As I said, the clio is almost as fast and more "fun factor".

I have to disagree the Shamal is early 5's. My 996 is flat 5 if not quicker (evo say they have road tested the car at 4.6) and the Shamal is much faster. Feels closer to 996T territory. That would have to make it sub 4.5
It doesnt have the legs of the turbo and is nowhere near as smooth but the Shamal power delivery is savage.

N5GTi6 said:
Thanks for your feedback on the R32 BlackLotus99. I'm just interested in your opinion on why you think the new S3 (will it be called an S3 or just an A3 3.2?) will be so much better than the R32? You mention engine power, but more details on the 'better setup' please? Anything else about the new S3? I saw the A3 3.2 at the motor show last year and was quietly impressed by the subtle looks and promise of performance.

Background case, the current A3 1.8T v S3. The A3 is quite simply "very ordinary", nothing special about it I dont think (other than it has a great interior. Audi still does the best interiors.) The S3 is almost an entirely different car. Sure, its not great. The handling is so so etc etc.
VW (who owns Audi) are going to need to differentiate the new S3 (not the A3 3.2, a different car, get to that in a sec) over the VW brand R32. Audi is their prestige brand along with Bentley and Lamborghini. It will almost certainly be more powerful, probably close to 300bhp, which would make it early 5's. It should also be lighter, stiffer (which the R32 is not) and a more engaging drive.(should have better quattro and suspension setup, they have been making rally cars for an awful long time now) The R32 clutch is dreadful as is the gearbox. This should be fixed. The brakes should aslo be better (R32 has little feel, clio's brakes not as powerful but much more feel.) They should learn something from Porsche here. Noone does brakes like porsche. The R32 is very sanitised, I would expect the new S3 to be much rawer.

The A3 3.2 is the "top shelf" A3 variant. The "S" cars come off a different assembly line I think, same as RenaultSport.
From what I have read (uk stuff) the 3.2 is setup for luxury, not sport. It is said to be very soft but very torquey, effortless. Its not a sports car. Has the same 3.2 motor from R32, Passat, Touareg, Cayenne etc but tuned specifically for A3. I wonder if we will even get it here. By the time it arrives it may well be $70K, maybe more. Not sure who will pay that for an A3. Most will buy the 2.0 FSI which is meant to be excellent. Anyone paying that for a small Audi will want the "S" badge attached.
I think the market for the S3 (assuming at least some of the hype lives up) is quite good. All the other hatches currently are only so so. R32, yeah its ok, not worth $70K. 147GTA, great motor, crap car. etc etc. 225 may have a niche in the market if it can be cheap enough say to undercut 147. FWD is still a problem as most buyers paying that much want 4WD and all the high tech gizmos. That is why noone is buying the 147. They cant sell the cars in stock, so huge discounts to be had. Shame the car is so bad.

blacklotus99 said:
Background case, the current A3 1.8T v S3. The A3 is quite simply "very ordinary", nothing special about it I dont think (other than it has a great interior. Audi still does the best interiors.) The S3 is almost an entirely different car. Sure, its not great. The handling is so so etc etc.
VW (who owns Audi) are going to need to differentiate the new S3 (not the A3 3.2, a different car, get to that in a sec) over the VW brand R32. Audi is their prestige brand along with Bentley and Lamborghini. It will almost certainly be more powerful, probably close to 300bhp, which would make it early 5's. It should also be lighter, stiffer (which the R32 is not) and a more engaging drive.(should have better quattro and suspension setup, they have been making rally cars for an awful long time now) The R32 clutch is dreadful as is the gearbox. This should be fixed. The brakes should aslo be better (R32 has little feel, clio's brakes not as powerful but much more feel.) They should learn something from Porsche here. Noone does brakes like porsche. The R32 is very sanitised, I would expect the new S3 to be much rawer.

The A3 3.2 is the "top shelf" A3 variant. The "S" cars come off a different assembly line I think, same as RenaultSport.
From what I have read (uk stuff) the 3.2 is setup for luxury, not sport. It is said to be very soft but very torquey, effortless. Its not a sports car. Has the same 3.2 motor from R32, Passat, Touareg, Cayenne etc but tuned specifically for A3. I wonder if we will even get it here. By the time it arrives it may well be $70K, maybe more. Not sure who will pay that for an A3. Most will buy the 2.0 FSI which is meant to be excellent. Anyone paying that for a small Audi will want the "S" badge attached.
I think the market for the S3 (assuming at least some of the hype lives up) is quite good. All the other hatches currently are only so so. R32, yeah its ok, not worth $70K. 147GTA, great motor, crap car. etc etc. 225 may have a niche in the market if it can be cheap enough say to undercut 147. FWD is still a problem as most buyers paying that much want 4WD and all the high tech gizmos. That is why noone is buying the 147. They cant sell the cars in stock, so huge discounts to be had. Shame the car is so bad.

With Fiat now puting GM engines into Alfa's this might be one of the last chances to buy a 'real' Alfa engine, and if 147GTA are being discounted like you say then this is a great chance for someone....

With the talk of the A3 3.2 being priced from 75-80K I can't see where the S3 will fit in. Either the S3 just can't come to AUS at a price of, what, 80-90K as it just won't be bearable, or the A3 3.2 will have to come down from there to give the S3 some room for pricing.

Where the heck the 225 fits in will be anyones guess. To me it looks as though Peugeot has avoided a real 307GTi as they have a similar market strategy to Audi somewhat. The 307CC is the larger luxo cruiser of the range, and the 206GTi 180 is the sporty model, which makes sense really, as a small sporty fits in well with the Peugeot handling ethos. It's just that I was waiting for the 307GTi and I don't want a heavy metal floptop which negates the use of the boot and inhibits handling.

This means I'll be leaving Peugeot, and maybe heading to a 225 (or something), but will Renault AUS want to potentially impact the RCS market in Australia by bringing out the 225 here - I think maybe not. If Alfa can't sell the 147GTA out here for $59K with 250HP, where is the market for the 225 at $50-55K I wonder?

blacklotus99 said:
I have to disagree the Shamal is early 5's. My 996 is flat 5 if not quicker (evo say they have road tested the car at 4.6) and the Shamal is much faster. Feels closer to 996T territory. That would have to make it sub 4.5
It doesnt have the legs of the turbo and is nowhere near as smooth but the Shamal power delivery is savage.
I thought I remembered a road test stating 5.3 but that was some time ago. Not interested enough to check... You must have a severe vibration problem with that flat 5, by the way!

Stuey

N5GTi6 said:
Where the heck the 225 fits in will be anyones guess. To me it looks as though Peugeot has avoided a real 307GTi as they have a similar market strategy to Audi somewhat. The 307CC is the larger luxo cruiser of the range, and the 206GTi 180 is the sporty model, which makes sense really, as a small sporty fits in well with the Peugeot handling ethos. It's just that I was waiting for the 307GTi and I don't want a heavy metal floptop which negates the use of the boot and inhibits handling.

This means I'll be leaving Peugeot, and maybe heading to a 225 (or something), but will Renault AUS want to potentially impact the RCS market in Australia by bringing out the 225 here - I think maybe not. If Alfa can't sell the 147GTA out here for $59K with 250HP, where is the market for the 225 at $50-55K I wonder?

I don't think the RS Clio's market will suffer any real impact because the 225 will still be at least 10k more. That said, I'm leaving my car for the 225 for sure if it lands at 45k. I'll seriously think about it if its just under 50k. anything over 50 would be a joke on renault.
If renault wants to seriously establish, again. They have to prove themselves worthy, not just to enthusiasts like some of us, but main stream buyers too. Think about it. a rex is just over 40. its not the same car as a 225 granted, but some people simply don't care about the heritage etc etc. And you can't build a large comapny that's on top of the aus charts by targeting enthusiasts only, after all renault isn't pagani, noble or the like, reanult is a mainstream car maker so they'd have to please a large crown too.
Like i said, its pointless for the 225 to land at over 50k, no one will buy it.

Could never get the 2nd video ... who manged to grab it before it was gone ?

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jeromeprost...RS_automoto.mov <- gone :cry:

For those with ADSL and Bit Torrent .. a site you might be interested in.

http://gear.viper007bond.com/

AussieFroggers will want these episodes ... (depends on what is available)

Fifth Gear - March 29th, 2004 - Citroën C2 GT or the Ford Sport Ka
Fifth Gear - December 08th, 2003 - reviews the Peugeot 206 GTi 180
Top Gear - June 08th, 2003 - V6 Renault Clio
Top Gear - January 25th, 2004 - Renault Megan CC and Peugeot 307 CC
Top Gear - December 07th, 2003 - Citroën C2

Anyone care to try and get them ... (no point on a 56kb modem).

- XTC206 -