Renault Laguna ii Door/Courtesy Switches

COL

Alpine A110
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
As many Renault Laguna owners know the courtesy light switches fail in these cars. Also the courtesy light switch is in the door lock and therefore if you want to fix this annoying problem you will need to replace the whole door lock as the little switches are not a spare part from Renault.

I have been lucky to have a spare car to raid parts from, but have run out of locks with working switches so decided to do a little hunting for these tiny switches. The original switches are manufactured by Cherry. Don't bother emailing them for spares because like me you will probably not get a reply.

After a little hunting around the WWW I found some on Ali Express and proceeded to buy 5 switches for $6, anyway they arrived the other day and here is a little how to replace them.

Step 1

Remove the door lock from the car.

Step 2

Remove the grey cover by moving the metal fingers that hold the grey cover on. Be careful when removing the grey cover because you will need to release the internal door handle actuator cable. If you pull to hard you will dislodge the electric motors and associated gear inside.

Step 3

Remove the silicon that covers the switch terminals and unsolder the switch terminals so that you can remove the switch. Like me you will most likely break off the two little locating pins on the back of the switch but this does not matter.

IMG_3542.jpg

Step 4

As the new switches don't come with the holes in the terminals you will need to drill the holes as shown below.

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3544.jpg

Step 5

Then you can solder the new switch in place.

IMG_3545.jpg

Step 6

Put sole silicon over the switch terminals

IMG_3546.jpg

Step 7

Replace the grey cover and put the inside door handle cable on is little leaver (this is very fiddly and requires some patience, took me several goes). I held the leaver up with a screw driver while lowering the grey cover onto the door lock. Another hint you will need the cable pushed into the grey cover all the way and it finds the slot in the leaver. Make sure it is working before bending the metal tabs back over.

IMG_3547.jpg

Step 8

Re-install door lock.

A nicely documented fix, Col.

The next step, is to source an equivalent micro switch from another supplier, which hopefully will be of better quality and be more long lasting.

I feel really sorry for the average punter who has to pay dealer price for a whole lock assembly and then pays dealer labor rates to have it fitted as well.

EDIT: The switch look like one of the iterations of Cherry DJ style

It is only rated to 500, 000 operations :disappr:

Last edited:
A nicely documented fix, Col.

The next step, is to source an equivalent micro switch from another supplier, which hopefully will be of better quality and be more long lasting.

I feel really sorry for the average punter who has to pay dealer price for a whole lock assembly and then pays dealer labor rates to have it fitted as well.

EDIT: The switch look like one of the iterations of Cherry DJ style

It is only rated to 500, 000 operations :disappr:

Thanks Rob

It has taken me almost 2 years to get around to doing this.

The switches may have a rating of 1/2 million operations but I think these ones have failed sooner. The drivers door was the last to fail (one would think the drivers door would be first to fail due to being the most used door), unless a previous owner has been conscientious and had the lock changed.

I think from memory they are a copy of the Cherry DJ style that I found on the Cherry website.