Renault Clio Sport vs Toyota MR-S

berzerker

Fellow Frogger
I know these are two very different cars but I'm curious as to how they would fare up to each other.

The MR-S has 140kw from a 1.8L vvti engine (same as the one in the celica's) and is no slouch in the handling department either.

Your thoughts people?
:confused:

MR-S wins hands down!

Clio is no match for it in the twistys and the straight.

140KW in a 900kg body shell, that's a series lightweight weapon.

Pitty we don't get 140KW MR-S here.

CLIO 172 said:
MR-S wins hands down!

hold your horses there, Clio has power at lower revs, Clio has Torque at lower revs. and handling?? how do you know its no match? Clio stays with a REX in handling, motor mag tested whent eh MKII first came out...

CLIO 172 said:
MR-S wins hands down!

Don't know anything about the 140kW MR-S, but mid mount 140kW and 900kg would be hard to beat! RCS don't do so well up against Lotus elises either, a porsche boxster has more than it's measure, caterhams (or PRBs)leave you behind.................

Can The Flash out run Superman??

The only MR2 we get here is the 100kw pleb spec with the semi-automatic gearbox. Early ones had the 5 speed and later models had the 6 speed.

Theres no option for the manual.

If it were my choice, I'd still get the MR2.

storms_of_fate said:
hold your horses there, Clio has power at lower revs, Clio has Torque at lower revs. and handling?? how do you know its no match? Clio stays with a REX in handling, motor mag tested whent eh MKII first came out...

REX dont handle that well, its only helped by 4WD and torque to fight through the corners. always understeer...

But the mid ship like MR-S, Elise, even NSX. they are pure handling machines.

With 900kg, you don't really need that much torque to go hard.

I'd get a MR-S, slot in 140KW celica engine, a hardtop and get a wide body kit on it.

img1019413668.jpeg
Yummy!

On a track, the MR2 would wipe the floor with the Clio. In the real world? I don't know enough about the MR-S, but from what I've experienced with an MR2 local spec, it would own the Clio again.

Clio is a great car, but it's not the be all and end all. There are other cars! Man I'm never buying a BFYB car.

CLIO 172 said:
REX dont handle that well, its only helped by 4WD and torque to fight through the corners. always understeer...

But the mid ship like MR-S, Elise, even NSX. they are pure handling machines.

With 900kg, you don't really need that much torque to go hard.

I'd get a MR-S, slot in 140KW celica engine, a hardtop and get a wide body kit on it.

img1019413668.jpeg
Yummy!

Let's stop stuffing around and get a comparo going between the Toyta MR-s and the V12 Merlin 55 Chevy.

http://www.rodshop.com.au/project55.htm

CLIO 172 said:
Actually the 4wd system is what causes the push effect in the Subaru. The rear wheels push the car out of the corner. There is a different technique to driving the 4wd's and hence I dont think you should be getting confused about the 2wd and 4wd handling issues.

Bang for your bucks in 2002:
top 5
Evo
M3
WRX STi
Jag Type r
HSV GTO

Elise was 6th

Bang for your bucks in 2003
top5
Elise
WRX STi
HSV GTS coupe
Boxter S
Nissan 350Z

Top5 were covered by 1.5seconds

Having a 4wd is abviously hardly a handicap.

Top5 were covered by 1.5seconds

Having a 4wd is abviously hardly a handicap.[/QUOTE]

4WD is certainly not a handicap and your right about 4wd being 'pushie'. Nuremberg (spelling?) prod. car record was/is held by a nissan gtr. But they use clever diffs ;) WRC cars also benefit from computer controlled diffs.

That track MR-S looks like a serious little piece of kit :headbang:

Also to clear something up that i think a few people get caught on:

Power and torque are directly related.
Power=Force*Speed or for us Power=Torque*Angular velocity.
Gearboxes multiple torque but power remains the same (loses neglected) because the angular velocity decreases proportionally.

I see all of your points for the MR2, yeah its good. It even has the best sequential gear shift this side of a 360 according to Motor. But, is it worth 15k over the RS Clio? And lets keep in mind 15K is another brand new entry level run about city car. I think the RS Clio is worth every single cent, I dont' think a MR2 at 49k is worth every single cent.

*Nate puts on his blinkers*
The RS is the best car ever made!!! bar none!!!

Ummm i'm 6'3", and i dont fit in an MR2... or an MX5, so it rules it straight outta my line-up!
Assume the same from this model Yota?

Its odd that cars are being made too small for a 6ft person, which is almost becoming the standard height!

Apologies to those who care here, but I thought the mr2 in aus spec was, and I will say it again, very ordinary. It is underpowered and undertyred also. No manual option? Its very obvious where this car is marketed and its not to people like us!
That same celica motor is now in the elise along with the 6sp box and I am another queueing for a test drive of it. Maybe this weekend hopefully. Not comparing appples with apples here though (compared to clio). The 111R will be over $100K on the road. 3 Clio RS instead?

We are not talking about the Aus spec MR-2 with 102kw and crappy semi automatic that takes a day to change gears. I've driven one, the gearbox is really a let down.

the Jap spec MR-S that has 140 KW celica engine in it, has 5 or 6 speed manual.

What would be better is an Elise with K20A Honda Vtec engine or B18C Vtec engine.

blacklotus99 said:
Apologies to those who care here, but I thought the mr2 in aus spec was, and I will say it again, very ordinary. It is underpowered and undertyred also. No manual option? Its very obvious where this car is marketed and its not to people like us!
That same celica motor is now in the elise along with the 6sp box and I am another queueing for a test drive of it. Maybe this weekend hopefully. Not comparing appples with apples here though (compared to clio). The 111R will be over $100K on the road. 3 Clio RS instead?

Last edited:
Clio 172 V Toyota Sportivo

Toyota Sportivo with 141KW from a 1.8lt motor and sub $30 K is a closer match in size shape and kg/kw to the clio sport. Seems the only problem is the power is all at the top end, 6800rpm for the peak with 8000rpm redline.
Seems you need the skill of Neal Bates for it to beat a clio. :tongue: :2cents:

blacklotus99 said:
agree, like I said before. MR2 simply is not worth the money it asks for. MX-5 is a far better car, and cheaper. Sorry Nate you can't fit, but MX-5 is a fantastic car. About the only jap I like at the moment. The Elise on the other hand is again worth every single cent. as 4car has put it, Super car performance, sports car money. for what it is, its dirt cheap!

Just tried doing a search on google for more information about the Japanese MR-S to give everyone a better understanding to make an informed judgement on this topic...however I couldn't find any worthwhile information.

I do know that the jap MR-S is much better than the aussie MR2 but was trying to find out exact details apart from the power upgrade.

Anyone got any good links?
:confused: