Renault Clio Sport 2002 For $23,500

macquered said:
Thats the first time I've seen 307 referred to as conservative :D
OK lets rephrase this:

A Megane II and a Peugeot 307 side by side. Which car gets called "conservative"?

The Peugeot of course! It is a more traditional shape. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!

I yelled that bit, for the sake of the Peugeot people who seem to have hijacked the Renault forum. Whatsa matter you guys, don't you have enough to talk about in your own forums? hehe :D

(Please note the cheesy grin on the end there!)

I want to present myself and give my opinion about all this very interesting arguing !
I am Guillaume, 23 and i'm French, I am more into renaults as you can guess!

First Craig, the numbers you gave were for European market, not French only, but the trend is about the same in France. But still, Megane range is no1 on the european market.

Both Megane and 307 are considered as very good cars here, and these are with no doubt, as least according to european standards and preferences.

Because it seems that rommness is an issue for you in Australia as it is not really in France.

307 is more roomy than the Megane, that's a point but we are talking with the 5-doors models !! We we are comparing them (and their sales), we are comaring full ranges.

In the French market, Megane 5doors is not a family car, a car for a young couple with a kid, or older couple in their 50's.
Megane 3doors is a car owned mostly by single person. It has a nice sporty look that is liked very much here (above all compared to the 3doors 307)
Then you have the Megane Estate or the Sedan, you have roomness. Both cars have a longer wheelbase (+6cm) and total lengh. but these are the ROOMIEST of their class, for sure.
The Scenic and Grand Scenic are more for families. But still compact

The matter of the 307 5doors is that this car is a compromise. The Wagon is compared to the Megane Estate and the SW is compared to the Scenic here.

The weak point of 307 5doors is gas consumption (witch is very important here) and performance that is really bad compared to a Megane. Best sellers are 307 HDi 110 and Megane dCi 120 (with 300Nm and 6speed) and 307 can't do nothing.

People that are not satisfied by 5doors Megane get a Estate or Scenic. The strengh of Renault is that there are so many models that you have to find your own in the range (about 200 different models on the french market with 9trim levels, 7 engines, 5/6 manual or 4 auto gearbox, 6 differents bodies, and more of all that to come in the next yaer)

Of course that's not the same issue in Australia but I guess it would have been interesting to undestrand how it works.

Also you have to consider the criteria of choice for a car in France :
* Economy (70% of diesel engines)
* Ratio Inside/outside space (why Renault invented Twingo, Scenic or Escpace)
* Compactness (in town, parking, you see that 5cm matters), Megane class is the average class.
* Style, car is not a reasonable choice, it has to makes you feel attracted (japanese + corean get around 10% of the french market despite reliable not so bad models, Opel a+ Ford, not much more)

As for style 206 is considered as sexy here, but 307 definitively classic and conservative. At the opposite Megane is considered as the original car of its class !

Hop I made myself and my opinion understandible ... thanks for reading the post ! I you have any question of a particular point ...

Guillame, thanks for posting such an informative response! It really indicates just how the models come about, and it's really interesting to read about how the cars are viewed in their home market!! :D

Wow thanks for that. A fascinating insight into the different markets.