Renault Captur 2016 battery.

jaahn

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
My Captur, now in the hands of my daughter had a failure to proceed last Sat in the supermarket car park. She rang the NRMA but they were on 200minutes wait time so called me She was panicking due to the error messages showing on the display, brake failure, temperature, etc etc. It got worse after a while with more attempts to start. Then it wanted a 4 digit pin entered (for the radio) so that shows how low the battery voltage sagged to.:cautious:

I told her to stop playing with it and it was most likely only a flat battery. So I loaded the gear and drove out there. As expected my battery jump starter, after 5 mins connected, then started it OK. My cheap OBD tool did not even read any codes. So left it ideling for a while and it was charging. Then the NRMA man arrived. We had a chat and decided the battery was old( 5 years when i found the date) so not much discussion about needing a new one. He did not have the correct one. So he put his good scanner on it and boy were there faults logged, dozens of them in memory. So he cleared them all but one refused to clear. It was not happy with the way the battery voltage stayed high 14.9 and it would not fall off as normal to high 13s or lower as it went(smart alternator). I guess indicating the resistance was high and/or not normal resistance. But the battery would hold charge and start the car. So we all left. ;)

He convinced my daughter that the normal DIN 66 that i fitted before as the only one available, was not recommended and a din 66AGM should be in there as recommended by Renault. So I found one at Repco next day, Sunday, in stock for $448 Wow almost dearest in the car options. But they took pity and gave me trade for a saving of ~$90. Hmm another technology advancement that the customers pay for every replacement ! Actually 5 years life of the non recommended battery sounds OK to me. :cool:

I have charged the old one up and it seems OK and holding voltage at 12.9V over a day. So I have a spare :rolleyes: Hmm who knows what they did to it, turned the radio on and the interior fans on or ?? It was after a netball game and it was cold so they may have sat in the car with things on. But a cold snap always finds the weak batteries.
Jaahn