Renault 19txe

Richard A Kane

Fellow Frogger
Hey there everyone. I'm from sydney and have a renault 19txe. currently having no end of dramas with it stalling amid driving and sometimes very untimely. We find that if we leave it for about ten mins. it will start agian. In the interum thigh it just turns over and will not fire. Has anyone had this sought of problem before and if so what was the cause. I look forward to anyones assistance.

Richard, Next time it stops, check for spark at the plugs, pull a plug lead off and earth it out, if there no spark the problem is ignition, either coil, module, pick up something in the ignition system, if there is a spark then there is a fuel problem, pump, regulator, 19's are generally reliable (unless its automatic of course) the problem you discribe sounds like somethings getting hot, ignition modules can do this and cooling them down with a wet rag can often get you home.
Good luck,
David.

This was happening with my renault 25 and the solution was simple but this may not apply to a R19 which I know nothing about - so perform the steps that David Cavanagh has outlined. In my case it was simply that the speed (flywheel)sensor was faulty- such that after about 15 min driving the heat was enough for it to malfunction and so the motor would just cut out and would not restart for about 10-15 min and of course typically at busy intersections. After many episodes like this i called Renauli and they suggested that I test the sensor in my garage by using a hair dryer to heat it - it perfectly mimicked the situation-the fuel pump would go , starter turn but motor would'nt start. Cooled it down and it would start. It was'nt the ignition coil but the sensor and so this was a very cheap , quick and satisfying solution. A R19 must have a speed sensor of some kind- anyway that was my experience.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Richard A Kane:
Hey there everyone. I'm from sydney and have a renault 19txe. currently having no end of dramas with it stalling amid driving and sometimes very untimely. We find that if we leave it for about ten mins. it will start agian. In the interum thigh it just turns over and will not fire. Has anyone had this sought of problem before and if so what was the cause. I look forward to anyones assistance.

------------------

My Chamade has the same problem.
30 Min. into a hot trip, say 35 and above,
she loses power,starts cutting out and stops.
To me it feels like fuel vaporization, although the local RACV, said he thought fuel injected cars didn't suffer from this.
However I can remember having similar difficulties with a F.I. Volvo and 16V 19's do it to. I am considering rerouting the fuel lines to get them away from the manifold, but having the injection rail close to causes a problem.

Hi Guys,

Cit CX's have this problem. It almost always the TDC sensor, or flywheel sensor(s?). It get hot goes open circuit, then works again when the motor cools....

I'm not sure what type of injection the 19 has so failing that I'd pull various sensors that will see a lot of heat and test them in a warm oven to see if they go open circuit. (don't melt the bloody things though, just slowly warm them). If it's a device that's temperature sensitive you will eventualy find it this way.... Though it's pretty extreme way of finding faults I suppose.

I wouldn't have thought a fuel injected car would suffer from fuel vaporization, but I could be wrong
frown.gif

seeya,

Shane Leviston

Instead of putting my TDC (speed/flywheel) sensor in the oven I used the hair dryer for just a few seconds on the sensor and that diagnosed the problem in my case.