Renault 17 gearbox help

DJ 750

Fellow Frogger
Hi,

A friend of mine has replaced the gearbox in his Renault 17. He notes, that he has two driveshafts with different ends on the gearbox side. Is this the way that they were built?

A second problem, which may be related to the first, is that there is oil dripping from the roll pins which makes him think that there is a problem at the O ring end of the driveshaft.

Is it possible that there is a difference between R12/R15/R17 auto or manual driveshafts?

We would greatly appreciate any help.

Kind regards

David

The oil level in the gearbox is above the line of the shafts, the roll pins need to be sealed too. It's not fun!
The Haynes R17 manual I have says to put a dab of gasket silicone/sealant over the ends of the installed pins.

Last edited:
The "O" ring is a bump stop not a seal. Use silastic to seal the roll pins. R12, 15, 17TS drive shafts were thinner than 17TS/G drive shafts and had a different end to 17 TS/G drive shafts but all will fit any of the vehicles.

'O

You may find the one driveshaft is the original for the 17 having a cylindrical inner boot, whilst the R12 driveshaft that will fit and work Ok has a more conical inner boot. The inner CV design is different on each of these driveshafts, but I never had any breakages using R12 driveshafts in a modified R15. As suggested, the roll pin ends need to be sealed with some silicone sealant or equivalent.

This might help fully followed, everything perfectly clean with no oil. Especially do the the differential bearing nuts & internal splines, plus I used coil roll pins:

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. According to my friend's 17 parts manual, it lists only one drive shaft: The number is 77 01 348 086.

From Alan's reply above, a 12 drive shaft will have a different number.

Thanks

David

Reactions: COL
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. According to my friend's 17 parts manual, it lists only one drive shaft: The number is 77 01 348 086.

From Alan's reply above, a 12 drive shaft will have a different number.

Thanks

David
Yes that is correct.

The R17 driveshafts are a beefier design, the spines on each end are the same and so is the overall length, hence the inter-changeability.