renault 12 virage

jelly

Fellow Frogger
hey all

i was on here a while ago with problems with my automatic renault 12. it seems i will always be having problems with this as parts seem hard to get - my question is (after reading some messages about the gordini in 12 body - is there any way of putting another auto from another renault in my car or completely changing the motor etc but keeping the outside body and is their anyone in the brisbane/ipswich area who could do this - i need help as pressure to get rid of my car is on big time and i want desperately to keep this car -
i spent a lot of money recently to fix the car and have just had so many problems since and now have had too many people tinkering with it to try to get it back the way it was and all telling me its studid keeping it - things going wrong like the auto gear pin shearing off, the radiator fan smashing to pieces -very bad pre iginition - going through glycol a lot - no power revs too high in first gear- can't really go any faster than 80 without it sounding like the engine is about to blow - i love this car it smells nice and i like to look at its profile in shop windows
as i go past and i can pick it out in shopping center

jelly

Hi there

The best way to fix the auto problems is to fit a manual gear box. As far as the engine it sounds like it need some work to get it right. These cars should fly when in good condition.

Regards Col.

First question, what is the body like?

If it is straight and rust free it is worth considering as a project car.

Second question, what is your mechanical ability like?

If you can't do a lot yourself there is probably little point in considering such a project, as the costs of labour are likely to outstrip the value (and likely sentimental value) of the car. It would be cheaper to look for a car which has had the modifications you require, and has hopefully been sorted.

Next, what do you want to do with the car, change the motor and trans, motor only, trans only? Change from auto to manual? Also what are the requirements from the car, competition, daily driver, show car.......

There are alternative engines for 12's, but unfortunately the auto trans itself is only replaceable by another 12 trans (if retaining the 12 motor) as the trans casing is unique. The most common swap is fitting a Renault 15/17 engine and gearbox, but to make best effect of the swap, the brakes from the 15/17 donor car also have to be fitted. Realistically as a daily driver it is probably better to get a good 12 motor and manual gearbox and replace the smoke with some poke.

Back to you, define your requirements.

thanks - yea the body is very good - i only know little mechanically (had another Renault 12 auto for about 23 years so know bits) yes and i do understand the cost of getting this done as this is what i have been doing.

i drive everyday and have had to stop long distance driving because of its unreliability - i want to solve this and be able to fix things myself as i realise you have to this with a car that is getting older.
i only have an auto licence this is why i have been keeping it auto- i have a manual gearbox here

thanks for the info on the 15/17 that is what i was wanting to know - so how easy would it be to change this over - say for someone who is not a mechanic - and would these parts be easier to get than a 12 maybe?and re the brakes my car is a wagon does the donor car have to be a wagon?

guess i gotta make up my mind what i am going to do - as you have heard yes i do love this car but is it all going to be worth it :confused: the car we had for 23 years went like a rocket and it was auto and we never had any trouble with it till a slippery wet day and an altercation with 7 cars and two trucks disappro

Sounds like you have had some bad experiences with repairers. There is no reason why a 12 or any car produced after the mid 50's for that matter, OK excepting a Zeta, should not be used for long trips.

Anyway, two things to do before you commence:

1) Apply for and obtain a licence to drive a manual car if that is what you intend to do with your 12 (ie convert to manual trans). There is no reason in commencing the conversion if you decide driving manual is not really your idea of fun, especially if most of your driving involves the city.

2) Let's try and ascertain the extent of your mechanical expertise, I'm no mechanic either, but there are few jobs that I would think of not doing on my 12.

Describe what you think is the most difficult repair job that you have carried out on a car.

If it is something like changing a wheel, don't botherjust enrol yourself in a short course on mechanical repairs, again mainly to find out if something like an engine/trans change is really your bag of fun.

15's and 17's are rarer than 12's. There were in order of 750 of them originally imported, compared to 30,000 odd 12's that were assembled in AUS. So parts are naturally rarer, also the 15/17 motor being an alloy block they are probably more prone to damaging corrosion from poor past maintenance.

The 12 wagon already has 15/17 sized rear drums, so that saves on part of the conversion.

Changeover time depends on experience, mechanical knowledge tools and facilities available. Take time to think about the track you are going to be travelling down by commencing on the conversion. It may be better searching for a better condition car than you already have and possibly save money too. Market value for a good 12 wagon is in the order of $1.5K, perfect pristine examples would not be a lot more if you were unlucky.

Simon