Renault 12 Flywheel

fiveofour

Tadpole
Does anyone know whether or not the flywheel on the Renault 12 virage 1.4 is different to the 1.2 before I get a wrecker to grab one from his sole surviving wreck. ( He had 6 great cars crushed last week)
Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
fiveofour said:
Does anyone know whether or not the flywheel on the Renault 12 virage 1.4 is different to the 1.2 before I get a wrecker to grab one from his sole surviving wreck. ( He had 6 great cars crushed last week)
Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Yep, the bolt's (which hold it onto the shaft) of the 1.4 flywheel are placed in a larger diametre circle than those on the 1.2 (due to different shaft between 1.2 and 1.4?). I was going to swap flywheels between a 1.2 and 1.4 engine just the other day until I realised this!

Sylvain

A 1.4 clutch can be fitted to a 12 flywheel given some machining. Basically the outside lump is removed, lightening it at the place where it needs it most, with some new tapped holes to fit the larger 1.4 clutch. I did it years ago on a few R12s to find the accelleration improved with no loss of uphil urge. This was done to standard and modded cars.