Renault 10 ignition locks

hulot

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi all
Just had Renault 10 ignition lock (nieman) vandalised- can't get key in. Does any one know if these are interchangeable with pug 404 504 ones?
Any tips re getting damaged one out?
many thanks
rob

I think it needs the key to be able to turn it to press the ball bearing in that locks it in place. Turning the key to ACC rings a bell.

Der Franzose sells them new I believe if you can get the old one out.

Thanks KB
Yes I thought you had to put the lock in the accessories position to remove it. Haynes manual says you can remove switch without removing locking device just remove two screws. I've got a spare lock some where but its not jumping out at me so far.
thanks
rob

I've been involved in two cases of remove/replace those locks. There might be two spring-loaded balls. Mine came out OK - replaced with a new one. Another in a Caravelle had to be driven out from behind with a large round piece of wood and a mallet. Not fun.

If the lock is 'out', immobilising the steering, I think you have to drill the thing to complete destruction to remove it. If the vandalised lock hasn't sprung out and locked the steering DO NOT TURN THE WHEEL.

I've been involved in two cases of remove/replace those locks. There might be two spring-loaded balls. Mine came out OK - replaced with a new one. Another in a Caravelle had to be driven out from behind with a large round piece of wood and a mallet. Not fun.

If the lock is 'out', immobilising the steering, I think you have to drill the thing to complete destruction to remove it. If the vandalised lock hasn't sprung out and locked the steering DO NOT TURN THE WHEEL.
Thanks John
rob

The last two I did had no key and column was locked. 6mm drill bit and good drill, right down the center from the face. drill depth about 30mm. Then a 12mm drill bit down the hole to the full depth. Barrel would turn to ACC and pin in the latch hole and it all came out. It was a while back on collecting my 16TX, same lock as an R10.

Ray

I did "break in" to an R12 many years ago, when the owner lost his keys at the beach, complete strangers. But I remember the steel tube locating the ignition barrel was actually a split tube, like a piece of metal conduit.
After removing the plastic covers, I was able to expand the tube enough to remove the barrel assembly, by wedging the slit with screwdrivers.
The switch itself remained and they could drive it home by using a flat screwdriver to turn the switch.
I had to explain I was a mechanic, not a car thief🙂.

There is a code on the back of the lock once you remove the switch. If you can get a key blank and find an auto locksmith who can interpret the number you’re home

Update,

I took the boot lock in to a locksmith today and he cut a key off the code stamped on the barrel. Worked a treat. But here is the best news, the code on the barrel was the same as the code on the ignition, except for the last digit. A 'p' on the boot lock, while an 'o' or '0' on the ignition. However there was no listing on the computer for the ignition lock, and to my surprise, the blank specified for the boot lock was an oval blank, not the smaller diamond shaped blank I expected for the door locks.

But here is the best news. The key he cut fits all locks! I now only need one key for the whole car. Very happy camper here.

Thanks for all your suggestions and offers of help.

George
Here's a quote from 2012 when my house was broken into and keys stolen. I forgot how it was finally resolved. You may not need to touch the ignition at all!!!

Depends if they actually damaged the ignition in their vandalism act. Maybe you can’t fit a key, even if you had one?

Depends if they actually damaged the ignition in their vandalism act. Maybe you can’t fit a key, even if you had one?
A gifted mechanic and all rounder had a go at dislodging the ignition key obstacle using a rifle file and then a dentist looking implement before moving on to dismantling half the car. He removed the column and shroud.I found another old lock. I found another shroud and was investigating another steering column. In the meantime I took it to Gibsons locksmith at Tullamarine and explained the car was stuck in a train station car park- They said 'early next week'. Half way through Saturday morning I got a call saying the lock was fixed. Attached is the picture of the offending obstacle on a one cent coin and with a toothpick beside it to also give perspective. Hooray!
1706961897183.png

Attachments

• renault 10 steering -ignition block.pdf
    222.5 KB · Views: 61