Renault 10 fuel sender repair in victoria

hulot

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi
Does anyone know of someone in vic preferably melb who could repair a fuel sender.
Unit is out of car. I have been referred to Howards who are good but often quite booked up.
Any other suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
rob

Hi
Does anyone know of someone in vic preferably melb who could repair a fuel sender.
Unit is out of car. I have been referred to Howards who are good but often quite booked up.
Any other suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
rob
Morning Rob, I can't help regards a recommended repairer, but would ad this comment (my 2 bob's worth!) I found with my 10 the problem was not the sender at all, but a bad earth behind the dash instrument. Hope this may help, Peter

Morning Rob, I can't help regards a recommended repairer, but would ad this comment (my 2 bob's worth!) I found with my 10 the problem was not the sender at all, but a bad earth behind the dash instrument. Hope this may help, Peter
Thanks Peter. I took the unit to an auto elec who said it wasn't working. The earth might be a problem too. Thanks
rob

Have you tested the rest of the fuel gauge system to make sure that it is working correctly?

This is easy to do by having the ignition on and disconnecting the wire on the sender unit, the fuel gauge needle should go hard to the full or empty end of the gauge. Now short the wire to ground, the gauge needle should then go hard to the opposite end of the gauge. If the gauge passes these two tests you know everything is OK from the sender to the gauge.

An easy way to test the sender is with a multimeter set on the resistance scale and measure between terminal and ground and then move the float and see if the resistance goes up and down as you move the float.

Also look at the wire that is wound around the wire wound resistor and make sure that it is not broken, also make sure that the wiper contact is making contact with this wire wound resistor.

Thanks COL. I'll investigate. Thanks for the detailed directions on how to check it out.
rob