Ren_sport Car Club

Ren_Sport

Fellow Frogger
Currently looking for expressions of interest for a brand new Renault Sport Car Club in Melbourne
What is the catch?
You need two doors and be capable of 160kph!!!
You need to come along to our track speed days and be timed exceeding this speed to gain membership.
Bad luck for the 750s, Scenic, R12, R16
Send us a mail at ren_sport@bigpond.com

The Pres
Leong

Geez, I would love to see your public liability insurance policy when they see one of the membership "requirements" requires the members car to be recorded at a speed above 160kph. Not a real good way to promote socially responsible frogging!!

Does that mean R17's and Fuego's can enter your proposed club.......

If you want it to be a "modern" renault sport club, why not just allow 2 door renaults built after 2000 and save the shit????

P.S..I know of several 750's that might qualify easily.

What is the catch?
You need two doors and be capable of 160kph!!!
You need to come along to our track speed days and be timed exceeding this speed to gain membership.

2 doors and 160kph? How easy is that, can do it easy, I'll give you hoons a challenge, make it four doors and 200kph in a standard French sedan. Oh thats right you said R12's were out didn't you.
Like Mr Reno says, hope you know what you doing when it comes to public liability insurance.
Besides all that, there's been a Renault sports car club running for 50 years already, maybe you should open your eyes.

David.

My R15 can even manage 160km/h! standard.

I wish we had some sort of sport link here in the ACT!

I guess ya scared of getting left behind by a 4 door, there are quite a few 750's, R12's R8/10 and i know of at least one Dauphine that'd leave you wondering shit what was that.
David is correct there ar already clubs to cover all French Marques, and those of us who do do sprints, regularly exceed 160kph.
Or dare i ask is your reasoning that you wish to street race & don't want any straglers getting nabbed by police & dobbin on the rest, if thats what you want, mistareno can probably tell you how eager the Frankston police are on friday nights to catch the dills who compete
renault_ citroen_ peugeot_ renault_

Oh dear,
16's, 12's, 10's,8's,18's won't do 160 kph?
Well if that's what you believe you deserve your own club.
My 17TL which is basically standard in the engine department will do 180kph, but that's got 2 doors or is it 3.
Have fun,
peabody.

"you need two doors" doesn't specifically exclude having more than two doors.

That statement only locks out those with one door.

Therefore everyone is free to join! (or ridicule from afar!)

I was going to get on the "3 door" bandwagon myself but others beat me to it.

I guess the comment about having a minimum of two doors applies.

This then; would exclude only Messerscmit and BMW Isetta owners as they fail on both counts - only one door and not capable of 160kph+ (one would hope).

An interesting point just occured to me.
EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST SOUGHT FOR YET TO BE CLUB
However there is already A President And a set of rules laid down.
Do some serious research first, because once a club is formed your informal practice days at Calder or Winton raceways will become formal & require CAMS permits & licences fees plus public liability insurance for the event.
The hire cost of Calder alone is around $1500 for the day, plus each driver would need a level 2S Cams licence $98 this year.

This then; would exclude only Messerscmit and BMW Isetta owners as they fail on both counts - only one door and not capable of 160kph+ (one would hope).
There also the Trojan with one door and don't forget the Goggomobile Dart, It didn't have any doors.
160k/hr, down a very deep vertical mine shaft maybe.

Ren
cheers!

renault8&10:
I was going to get on the "3 door" bandwagon myself but others beat me to it.

<a href="http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/eureka/" target="_blank">Purvis Eureka!</a>

Ren-Sport,

Time to get serious, without all the bull and shit stirring you need to think clearly about your "proposed" new club.

I understand what you mean about 750's R12's etc, and I know what you mean when you want a Clio (or sports Renault) only club, it certainly is frustrating being in convoy at 80kph on the open road. I'm usually in the 12G and at 80kph I'm usually sticking to 3rd gear to stop it fouling up, I remember droping back once so I could clear its throats and gave it a big rev through the gears, I pasted the convoy and changed into 5th gear just as the speedo hit 160kph and then had to back off back down to 80. Yes, big frustration so I know what your saying.

But there are a lot of things you need to think about when starting a new club, the main one being public liabilty insurance. You have expressed interest in speed events, you need a CAMS license, therefore your club needs to be a member of CAMS, even if you have a club run to a nearby beach you must register your event with CAMS. Then there's the AOMC, if your club wants to put on displays at car shows you'll need to join the AOMC.
There's a way around it. Simple join the Renault Car Club of Victoria and your membership automatically gives you membership of the other two clubs and you are covered by the RCCV's $10,000,000 public liability cover. The RCCV is an incorporated club and in the event something does go wrong then the organising people are covered
The RCCV get regular invites to sprints, hillclimbs, Rallies, motorkanas and almost any other form of motorsport you could think of, in fact lots of times we read out the mail at general meetings about some sprint meeting we're invited to and nobody puts up there hand so it goes in the bin. It would be great to see some Clio's out there.
What you do is, join the RCCV and start a Clio register as John has done with the 16 register, you are free to run your own runs and enter your own speed events as long as you all are RCCV members. You'll get lots more help also in regards to rules and regulations such as where to stick your fire extingusher, do you or don't you need bonnet straps, does a Clio Sport need the compulsary 2nd throttle return spring, all these things you've probably never thought of we've been there done that and if you want to compete in a Clio we're full of encouragement.

Think about it, it really does make sense. You can still have your own mailing list and your own newsletter, all we ask is that all your members be RCCV members.

David.
President
RCCVinc.

Same story for all people intending to compete in sporting events under such a guise as a Renault Sports Club. While I guess theres a call for it, there is just as much a call for those people to be members of the appropriate state/territory based club.
Victoria - RCCV
Canberra - ROCC
Queensland - RCCQ
NSW - RCCA

David has put it all pretty well in his post.

Somehow, I reckon "The Pres" has been scared off :)

To be honest, I thought 160km/h wasn't very ambitious :)

The thing that people fail to realise with the creation of a "model specific" club is that when that model is no longer in production (or in fashion) the club will die a rather quick death.

The Renault Car Club of Victoria is this year celebrating it's 50th year and whilst it is a 'Renault club', there are many different "sub-groups" within the club who's passion lie with a particular model in the Renault range.

Many of these models are now rare (some were rare to begin with) but they all share one common factor, they are all Renault's.

Imagine if for example Renault Fuego owners tried in the early 80's to start their own Fuego car club, could you imagine the club being in existence today? As I am sure most are aware it is quite rare these day's to even see a tidy Fuego neverknown an immaculate one. Yet within the RCCV there is a small group of Fuegophiles who admire and appreciate each others cars and share information on modifications or ideas.

Can you imagine in 15-20 years time when the Renault Clio Sport is considered by most as simply another old Euro "hot hatch" from the 00's? Most will unfortunately no longer be owned by enthusiasts, alot will no longer be around, and yet, you can be guaranteed that within the RCCV there will be a small group of Cliophiles who still worship the virtues of their little old Clio sports.

With a small volume seller(currently) like Renault, it is important that we stick together and build a strong, proud and passionate club. The RCCV would be glad to have as many 'new renault' owners as possible, and over the last few years the club has been revitalised with changes to committee and the like.

If there has been one vibe that I have picked up on this site, it is that many younger Renault owners seem to view the RCCV (and similar clubs)as old model Renault Clubs, or simply a waste of money. This could not be further from the truth. Whilst there are many members in the club who appreciate the older models, there are many more who own, or aspire to own newer Renault models.
New, young members bring new, young ideas, and new ideas can only be a positive for any club. With the backing of a club such as the RCCV, events such as the recent 'Melbourne Cruise' can be organised and held legally, with liability insurance. Imagine taking your Frog to track days and competing with other Renault owners. And if you, like me, find yourself unable to part with your froggy friend, even when it becomes old and out dated, you can be guaranteed that there will still be other's who share your passion and understand the bond that many Renault owners develop with their cars.

So come on, join a club and show the passion you have for your Renault, old or new.

Well, I'd once again like to echo those comments for the RCCA and other clubs. I think its a general case that can be applied to all of the general state based clubs. The idea of a register is a good idea because it can collect members particular to a certain model or model group across clubs for interstate meetings, but the club level really does support the long term investment, enthusiast and tends to give a lot more than a single model based club from what ive seen. The current trend of a "cruise" is something I see as something that has been brought about by single model clubs of various marques. The same thing has always existed as a drive day or by another name in the general club scene.

In the end, as mistareno says, the single model based, or area based non marque specific current style club or group often end up folding, I know of 3 that have in the Sydney area. Eg, the RCCA is 52, the RCCV is 50.. and clubs of various other marques that are general clubs can be just as old.

<small>[ 26 March 2003, 03:48 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]</small>

mistareno:
The thing that people fail to realise with the creation of a "model specific" club is that when that model is no longer in production (or in fashion) the club will die a rather quick death.
Not always true, but it does depend on what you define as "Club"

I personally define it as a collection of like minded enthusiasts. Personally, I'm not interested in a large amount of administration, annual general meetings, fundraisers etc. etc.

With that definition in mind, there is the R15/R17 register which alternates from being active to sleeping (which is the current mode). At one stage, I believe there were more R15/R17 Register attendees at a Vic all French car day than there were RCCV members. R15/R17's haven't been sold in Australia since the late 70's

Another "club" which is doing fantastic business would be the Lotus Europa guys. This club is basically bound together by the Yahoo email list, and comprises members from all parts of the world (many ex and current French car enthusiasts, interestingly). Lotus Europas have not been manufactured for about 30 years, and their total production was only about 9000 vehicles.

The Lotus Europa mailing list runs at about 30 emails / day, and unlike the Renault email list of late, does not descend into fights about the French commitment to war or crude comments on various sexual liaisons in different Renault models.

I see both these organisations as the "future" of clubs. International membership, common interest, desire to help and meet. These are some of the things that clubs used to fulfill, but sadly now seem to be bogged down by loaded committees, political infighting and a whole bunch of administrational work which does nothing for the core interest.

It appears clubs will be required for the motorsport events/insurance etc. etc. and the nightmare of paperwork required to handle CAMS related activities. I believe that this overhead will slowly erode amateur motorsport until it no longer becomes affordable to many, except maybe to the elite "cannonball run" style enthusiasts.

There's my bit for the day! :D

Europa
[/qb]
With that definition in mind, there is the R15/R17 register which alternates from being active to sleeping (which is the current mode). At one stage, I believe there were more R15/R17 Register attendees at a Vic all French car day than there were RCCV members. R15/R17's haven't been sold in Australia since the late 70's.

I was going to use the 15/17 register as an example myself. This just prooves what we're saying that one model clubs don't work. I remember very well the All French Days when the 15/17 register out numbered RCCV back in the mid 90's, the register was very strong and people talked of it taking over as the Renault Car Club, but people change, there lives change, a lot of people had to replace there 15/17 for a more pracital sedan and grow away from the club, a 15/17 club or a Clio club is great when your young and enthusiastic and the cars are still in vashion but once there get old and members get older the interst drops off. The founding members of the 15/17 register are now members of RCCV. I know there's a lot of politics involved and we do our best to minumise it but we have to deal with CAMS and keep on the right side of the law.
As for the Lotus "club", you have to realise that Lotus are a very exclusive and exotic motor car and will always have a dedicated following, Renault don't really come in that bracket, a lot of Clio Sport owners will trade them in when there lease finishes and buy what ever is the latest at the time, that doesn't happen with Lotus.
I think there's only one answer, if your really interested in your car and want to support it, join a club, as it's been said before, RCCA turn 52 this year and RCCV turn 50. PCCV are turning 50 next year. It's also the best way I know for keeping up with what the factory are doing, Renault Australia really go out of there way to support us and keep us informed about new models. And, I don't know if this is relevant, but quite a few members have bought new cars and they all say what a great deal they got when they mentioned the car club.

David.