Removing C5 X7 front bumper

UFO

Citroën Tragic
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi All,

I have need to remove the front bumper of C5 number 1 to replace the washer pump and perhaps some of the flexible hosing.

It requires a "special tool" to undo two clips each side.

Has anyone made one and if yes can you describe it or maybe even possibly loan it to me?

Craig,

I just use some long handle allen keys for those clips.

Cheers, Ken

PS I also completely remove the side rail clampy bits to take the bumper off then loosely reinstall them before putting the bumper back on. Don't forget to release the safety latch actuator cable from the lever before completely removing the bumper.

Last edited:
Craig,

I just use some long handle allen keys for those clips.

Cheers, Ken

PS I also completely remove the side rail clampy bits to take the bumper off then loosely reinstall them before putting the bumper back on. Don't forget to release the safety latch actuator cable from the lever before completely removing the bumper.

Good advice re safety catch actuator :)

For the clips I used a heavy wire coat-hanger cut length with a leg bent as a lever - trickiest part for me was re-fitting the screws and tightening.

Craig you may get away with just releasing one side if you only need access to the windscreen pump and tank. . .

Cheers
Chris

Um.. safety catch actuator?

Bonnet release might be a more accurate term :clown:

Even when only looking at one side the cable can restrict the movement for clearance. . .

Cheers
Chris

The job was undertaken yesterday using the attached PDF as a guide. Not the hardest job in the world. Loosening a couple of the 10mm nuts each side that sort of provide some clamping on the attachment tabs on the sides on the bar makes it probably easier but by being careful you could probably achieve that task without loosening. Those four each side 10mm nuts are a PITA to get to.

Fortunately "Caringbah Citroen Services" had a handy tool we eventually found. It's probably a locking or lever rod from inside a metal storage cabinet. It was just the ticket.

The stupid connectors for the windscreen washers collapsed after 12 years of use (cheap shite) and were replaced with irrigation pipe connectors. Deft use of a heat gun was required to allow the ends of the pipe to expand momentarily to get the pipe connectors in.

The bar came off to replace the windscreen washer pump that is impossible to get to otherwise (IMHO). While it was all off we also replaced the flexible washer water pipe between the plenum drain connector and the other piece of flexi pipe that runs under the bonnet to the actual washers. The flex pipe had cracked where it bends to loop back under the bonnet.

The hook tool showing the connectors that require 90 degree rotation. Ignore the grunge. Ironically the image itself is 90 degrees out of whack. The rod is on the lower side.

c5 work day aug2033.jpg

The bumper on the ground showing the four each side push to fit connectors

c5 work day aug2023.jpg

Washer pump. The other pump to the left is the headlight washers

c5 work day aug2030.jpg

Car with bar off

c5 work day aug2028.jpg

The stupid connectors for the rubber lines from h/l washer pump to the flex lines in the bumper. These now replaced with irrigation drip line connectors.

c5 work day aug2024.jpg

Attachments

• C5 X7 Front Bumper removal small.pdf
    356.6 KB · Views: 372
  • c5 work day aug2033.jpg
    c5 work day aug2033.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 336
There is an easier way:

- park front in over a high kerb
- lower car
- reverse out

Not pretty, but effective. Don't ask me how I know this.