Remind me why I drive old cars again.

Greenpeace

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
While the video isn't French car specific, I'm certain the continuing complexity of a vehicle's control systems are relevant to late model French cars. I seem to recall what amounted to a $2700 Citroen handbrake cable on one thread.🤔
Remember these taillights are USD, so times it by 1.57 on today's exchange rate.😳

Ouch. Unbelievable. And he indicated the owner wasn’t even alarmed!

Remember the days when if you broke down on the side of the road you would fix it with limited tools and possibly a fellow motorist who cared enough to pull over to help? Now it's straight onto a tilt tray and off to a repairer while you get ready to bleed from the a##e.

Staggering..

Remember the days when if you broke down on the side of the road you would fix it with limited tools and possibly a fellow motorist who cared enough to pull over to help? Now it's straight onto a tilt tray and off to a repairer while you get ready to bleed from the a##e.

Staggering..
My little Austin conked out going to town a couple of weeks ago, it gave a couple of pops and splutters then stopped

Pushed it off the road and had a look.
The little window in the float bowl showed it had fuel. This thing has a remote solenoid on it, so you can just push the button on the solenoid and wind it over while you're under the bonnet.
Popped the dissy and spun it over, points had a good spark. Put the cap back on and pulled the coil wire. Spun it again and the spark across to the engine block was crap.
Coil or condensor, hmmmm?
The condensor looked pretty new and the coil looked like it came off Noah's Ark.
Got the oldest grandson to pick me up on his way home from school, pinched the coil off the DS and got Mrs G to drive me back.
Jerry rigged the coil, and, wah waaaaaah, no go.🤬
Home again, dug round the shed for an old Beetle dissy I have, pinched the condensor, back to the Austin and vrrroooom.
The shiny condensor was the problem, and the mangy old coil was fine, can't judge a book by its cover.🤷‍♂️

The shinier, the crappier.
Gee now I have a dilemma, the VW condensor I put in it, is even shinier than the old Nissan one.
The "old" VW distributor is old to me as it has been sitting on a shelf for years. I actually pulled it out of a newly built engine because it was wrong for the application and I replaced it with a 009.

That, and you are sooo shallow.
That's a bit random, had a bad day?

Remember we had the discussion about how crap new parts are these days some time ago? Specifically condensers. You were warned.
So your sage advice is never buy any new parts?
I've got a bucket of old oil filters I can do you a steal of a deal on.👍

Hehehehe!

You're shallow because you judge books by their cover, dummy.

No, I'm not having a bad day, I am having fun. Keep going.

Well, what can I say about shiny things? Take it as a statistical statement.

No, I'm not saying never buy new parts, just don't trust them. Check them.

You've been played by your own prejudice: "dirty and manky - bad, clean and shiny - good". Funny!

That's exactly why you should have known immediately that shiny stuff doesn't match your Zen.
When i worked at the hospital the car spaces were not big enough for the 4WD's that most people drove to work.
I parked carefully with what i thought was plenty of room.
Gradually i noticed my Alfa 147 was getting dents in the sides from people opening their doors into my car.
After a while i got very sick of this and drove the old Triton farm ute to work.
Have seen better utes at the wreckers.
No dents or marks ever.

Later i was told overweight female nurses have to open their doors further to get out!