Reconstruction of the Peugeot 203 coupe

Nice work. Seems to have been repaired by self fabrication of replacement parts.

I wonder if "repair sections" still available at a reasonable price ?

Last edited:
Nice job, pity about the paint finish.

Is there anyone else or is it just me? To restore a car means to make it like it was when it left the factory but modern paint finishes are not original.

It's like seeing your Grandmother in skin tight jeans, high heels and make up, it just doesn't work.

Ah, but you don't have to polish 2-pac, and it's a lot tougher than acrylic...

Ah, but you don't have to polish 2-pac, and it's a lot tougher than acrylic...

For my money I'd make the small concession and use a 2 pac finish. You can add "flatner" to reduce the sheen if it offends you.

2pac is more durable and longer lasting than any acrylic.

Acrylic paint may be the death of my 203. I did a pretty good job back then, had it shiny like glass but 8 years later that has completely failed. I don't know if I'll ever have the time or enthusiasm again. I HATE acrylic paint.

Well we'll see. I've done many cars and when I did the 403 I said to my painter that I don't want 2 pack and we argued because it's more work for him. All the prep was done in 2 pack mainly because it chemically dries and not air dry so there's much less chance of bleed ups but the top coat is acrylic.

It looks like an original 1959 model car, while it was still at the panel shop he had people looking at it saying they can see it's been painted but they can't tell it's been painted and that was the finish I was trying to achieve.

We've used flattening bases on other jobs and yes I agree it look better but not that original look that acrylic has.

My R8 Gordini goes in this week, it's very important that car is as original as possible but it's also got to be tough because it's to be used not admired. I haven't decided what to do yet.

Here's what I'm talking about, don't know how well you can see the pic but compare the paint finish on my 403 to the 203 coupe and tell me which is more fitting for a 60 yo car.

Remember 2 pac fades too if you don't look after it. You see clear coats peeling off everywhere on the streets, Mazda are apparently the worst and there having to repaint cars under warranty so I don't believe 2 pac is the answer.

Attachments

• Norman 2.jpg
    Norman 2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
David,

I totally agree with what you said in your last entry. Like you, I am still kicking around the benefits of the original look or the durability of 2 Pack. At this stage, 2 Pack is slightly ahead, because the 404 is to be a daily drive...

Cheers,

Dan

David,

I totally agree with what you said in your last entry. Like you, I am still kicking around the benefits of the original look or the durability of 2 Pack. At this stage, 2 Pack is slightly ahead, because the 404 is to be a daily drive...

Cheers,

Dan

There are also a substantial number of paint shops who won't use anything but 2 pac paints.