Rebuilding CX engine mounts

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi Guys,

I'm about to attempt rebuilding some CX engine mounts using some Sikaflex structural adhesive (stronger I think than there winsdscreen glue).

http://importnut.net/motormount.htm

The motor in my CX flops around terribly as the lower mount is so soft. I'm going to fill it's void from underneath with sikaflex. I'll rebuild some dogbone mounts, and possibly another lower mount while I'm at it (The Sikaflex doesn't last long once opened so I might as well use it all).

Anyone out there want to try a rebuilt dogbone mount to see how it goes :confused: (I've already got a new factory top mount on my car).

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Hi Guys,

I'm about to attempt rebuilding some CX engine mounts using some Sikaflex structural adhesive (stronger I think than there winsdscreen glue).

http://importnut.net/motormount.htm

The motor in my CX flops around terribly as the lower mount is so soft. I'm going to fill it's void from underneath with sikaflex. I'll rebuild some dogbone mounts, and possibly another lower mount while I'm at it (The Sikaflex doesn't last long once opened so I might as well use it all).

Anyone out there want to try a rebuilt dogbone mount to see how it goes :confused: (I've already got a new factory top mount on my car).

seeya,
Shane L.

good luck Shaen hope it works for you.

I have some further infor from VR4 Galant land on this fix

Try a 2 pac Silicone adhesive from repco. you might be able to see this link.

http://www.clubvr4.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=43684#43684

Hope this helps

Cheers

Matt

Back when I had a CX and no money, I was able to regain some of the bounce in the dogbone steady with ordinary old Silastic. It lasted about a year as I recall before I pensioned it off and put in a new one. (By then I had saved enough, by starving the kids, re-soling their shoes, dressing them in potato sacks etc.)

You need to make sure that you fill the void completely, however, to get the maximum squidginess. Also give it plenty of time to cure all the way through. (Yes I did have a couple of tries before perfecting it!)

Yep,

this isn't just silicon, so I imagine it'll almost be a lifetime repair. Sikaflex is amazing stuff. It bonds windscreens so strongly they add to the cars structural strength in an accident. If you glue something with sikaflex you do NOT want to have to get it off again.... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

We'll see how it works anyway !!!

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Yep,

this isn't just silicon, so I imagine it'll almost be a lifetime repair. Sikaflex is amazing stuff. It bonds windscreens so strongly they add to the cars structural strength in an accident. If you glue something with sikaflex you do NOT want to have to get it off again.... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

We'll see how it works anyway !!!

seeya,
Shane L.

Well Sikaflex has held the roof on my D for five years now. Works beautifully.

Shane, I have used Sikaflex before, and one thig I can't emphasise strongly enough, is DO NOT GET THIS STUFF ON YOUR SKIN!!!!!
The only way it will come off, is either to cut it off, or wait a few weeks for it to wear off.
That said, sikaflex is bloody good stuff!!! john s

Shane,

Have you had any luck with the rebuilt mounts? I've just found out how much they are and I'm very interested in your experiment.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I have done them yet. I want to get down to my parents place and find some old (buggered) dog bone mounts. You see the tubes of Sikaflex are $35 bux each, once opened they do not last (at all). I intend to use the whole tube and do as many engine mounts as possible.

Which engine mounts do you need ?? I can send you down a 'rebuilt' dogbone and you can test it if you like. You see my CX has a new pork chop top mount in it, so I will not be removing that.

regards
Shane L.

Shane,

Thanks, a free top mount sounds like good value to me. It's just a manner of defintions, what is a dogbone and a pork chop? Is that pork chop as in 'to carry on like a ...'?

My new beast is a 1984 CX 25 Pallas, the one your sending me a CD for (hint, hint).

Thanks,

Peter

PeterJ said:
Shane,

Thanks, a free top mount sounds like good value to me. It's just a manner of defintions, what is a dogbone and a pork chop? Is that pork chop as in 'to carry on like a ...'?

My new beast is a 1984 CX 25 Pallas, the one your sending me a CD for (hint, hint).

Thanks,

Peter

Think of a dog bone, this is what most aussie CX's have. It has a same sized bush at either end and looks like a dogbone :rolleyes:

The pork chop is fitted to later models and has one huge bush at one end, and a tiny bush at the other. It looks like ......... A pork chop :rolleyes: :D

Personally I can't tell the difference between them when fitted from the drivers seat (in vibration or mount life).

PM me your address and I'll send down a top engine mount and CD when the mounts are done (possibly this weekend).

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Think of a dog bone, this is what most aussie CX's have. It has a same sized bush at either end and looks like a dogbone :rolleyes:

The pork chop is fitted to later models and has one huge bush at one end, and a tiny bush at the other. It looks like ......... A pork chop :rolleyes: :D

Shane L.

Who says Citroen cars are complicated??? :roflmao: :roflmao:

smiffy1071 said:
Who says Citroen cars are complicated??? :roflmao: :roflmao:

Hi Guys, I recently replaced a lower mount because the original had gone soft...there wasn't much left of it. The engine vibrations were horrible, until I replaced the mount. It was almost impossible, but I just managed it without hoisting the entire engine out of the engine bay. Just getting clearance was a real bugger. :mad:
It involved removing the drivers front wheel and jacking up the engine from below, with the top mount removed to allow movement.
Good luck.
Cheers...George 1/8th. :cheers: :cool:

George 1/8th said:
Hi Guys, I recently replaced a lower mount because the original had gone soft...there wasn't much left of it. The engine vibrations were horrible, until I replaced the mount. It was almost impossible, but I just managed it without hoisting the entire engine out of the engine bay. Just getting clearance was a real bugger. :mad:
It involved removing the drivers front wheel and jacking up the engine from below, with the top mount removed to allow movement.
Good luck.
Cheers...George 1/8th. :cheers: :cool:

I've done that before too. I don't intend to do it again .... You end up prying the mount through the confined spaces with a pinch bar 'cos clearance is so poor.

I'm doing my mount 'in situ', then when the motor eventually comes out for a clutch job I'll swap another mount in.

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
when the motor eventually comes out for a clutch job I'll swap another mount in.

seeya,
Shane L.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The motor comes out just for a clutch. :cry: :cry:

That sounds scary. I take it you cant just remove the Gearbox?

Cheers

Matt

mattg said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The motor comes out just for a clutch. :cry: :cry:

That sounds scary. I take it you cant just remove the Gearbox?

Cheers

Matt

Nope .... Anyway, access is usually so severely limited I find it easier to remove the motor with the gearbox. Eg: DS's you can remove the gearbox and leave the motor behind. Personally I wouldn't attempt that .... NNNoooo.......

I would have thought in most cars with an 'east/west' drivetrain you would have to remove the whole lot :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.

At the recent Citroen meeting in Utrecht a group from GermANY CX BASIS, were selling both top and lower engine mounts for CX. They are manufacturing replacement ones - I bought a lower one for about 70 Euros ($116). That little conversion shows just how careful I had to be with the exchange rate! The mount is very solid compared to the softened oil-soaked ones that I have seen.

The meeting was amazing, I was blown away by the number and variety of cars and the range of the stands in the enormous pavillion. it was a lot of fun and I was careful not to buy a car. I noted that the Dutch appear to be amongst the most enthusiastic collectors of older Cits. It is possible to buy some quite D's or CX 's in Holland for a reasonable price - of course LHD.

I was tempted to buy one of those turbo-diesel CX Prestiges that were just sitting in the car park for sale.
I should have as we got home to find the C-matic wrapped around the power pole down the street! We don't know what happened - but someone must have got in it and tinkered (drivers door was'nt locking). Damn it I had spent so much time on this car and had just changed the radiator - now it is sitting just 1cm short of flush with the engine!
It was my rough and ready run around - i am going to strip it down- buy another one- I feel that they are such good cars the CX - and now I know much more about them.

ps
I have lots of photos from the Utrect meeting and would like to share them but they are big files.
What is the optimal size for the files to be displayed on this board?

Chris

citx2 said:
At the recent Citroen meeting in Utrecht a group from GermANY CX BASIS, were selling both top and lower engine mounts for CX. They are manufacturing replacement ones - I bought a lower one for about 70 Euros ($116). That little conversion shows just how careful I had to be with the exchange rate! The mount is very solid compared to the softened oil-soaked ones that I have seen.

The meeting was amazing, I was blown away by the number and variety of cars and the range of the stands in the enormous pavillion. it was a lot of fun and I was careful not to buy a car. I noted that the Dutch appear to be amongst the most enthusiastic collectors of older Cits. It is possible to buy some quite D's or CX 's in Holland for a reasonable price - of course LHD.

I was tempted to buy one of those turbo-diesel CX Prestiges that were just sitting in the car park for sale.
I should have as we got home to find the C-matic wrapped around the power pole down the street! We don't know what happened - but someone must have got in it and tinkered (drivers door was'nt locking). Damn it I had spent so much time on this car and had just changed the radiator - now it is sitting just 1cm short of flush with the engine!
It was my rough and ready run around - i am going to strip it down- buy another one- I feel that they are such good cars the CX - and now I know much more about them.

ps
I have lots of photos from the Utrect meeting and would like to share them but they are big files.
What is the optimal size for the files to be displayed on this board?

Chris
Did you notice the DS sofa that I posted a pic of? On the same stand, they had a brand new CX front panel for €150!!! plus all the inner front panels, that would have rebuilt the car! What a sickener! I loved the CX flat bed car transporter!