Rear left toe out - fix in place

207cc Sport

Fellow Frogger
Oh dear, the RCZ slid on new diesel at a round about and thumped its rear left wheel into the curb . . .

Wheel is off to be revived.

Initially the steering wheel was pointing to the right. With ABS warnings on and off . . .

Fix for that:
Recalibrated the steering wheel. Did wheel alignment. No error messages, but the rear toe on the left wheel is not good.
see results:
Scan 2022-4-18 09.58.09.jpg

So off to these dudes to get things straitened out.

Keep ya posted.

BUGGA!

Been doing a little Googling and looks like the RCZ has Torsion Beam rear suspension, if this is the case you will require a replacement beam.

With the toe that far out on the left you should be able to see the left wheel is not correct and you would feel it is not right to drive.

You may want to consider an insurance claim because I don't think its going to be cheap to replace

Been doing a little Googling and looks like the RCZ has Torsion Beam rear suspension, if this is the case you will require a replacement beam.

With the toe that far out on the left you should be able to see the left wheel is not correct and you would feel it is not right to drive.

You may want to consider an insurance claim because I don't think its going to be cheap to replace
Thanks Col. ABS warning has returned.
Yep, something is bent. I hope it’s the stub axel.
Insurance claim a definite option.

I can visually see that the left wheel is not correct.

More news soon.

Oh dear, the RCZ slid on new diesel at a round about and thumped its rear left wheel into the curb . . .

Keep ya posted.

BUGGA!
Hi.

That is most unfortunate. At least there was no panel damage. Was your wheel rim damaged?

Hope you can get the rear axle resolved, even better if insurance can accept a claim.

Cheers.

Ok, the latest.

Used beam from Europe is $600 plus $2,400 air freight!

New plan. Claiming on insurance. Oz Peugeot wants $3,100 with 3/4 months delivery.

So garaging the RCZ until the part arrives.

Keep ya posted.

Hi 207CC Sport

I’ve been thinking about your incident. Knowing how much you like and enjoy your RCZ, I suspect you will still want to precede with new or un-bent replacement components, covered by insurance.

But I think there is an alternative option, which might achieve a good result without the lead time for replacement parts to arrive.

I was wondering why the camber on the L & R rear axle, for practical purposes, didn’t change, but the LHR Toe In changed approx. negative 25mm. So I constructed the below sketch to illustrate what I think has occurred. It is fairly self-explanatory, but I think the part of the rear axle where the coil mounts is strong and has not bent at all. But I don’t think the bend at the LH body mounting point is the weak area and has bent further in the same direction. This has caused the resultant changes and explains the wheel alignment original and measured dimensions.

So my thought is that you could get someone to heat and bend the affected area back to match the RHS, some black gloss paint, and you'r on the road again.

PS: Considering the forces, I'm surprised that the wheel rim is not damaged.

Just a thought.

Cheers.

1650621444133.png

Tks Whippet, for the effort. Appreciated. :worship:

Yes, the rear left wheel is knocked about, so that will be covered by insurance also.

I'm going with the insurance/new part from France. Then there will be no big cost to me and piece of mind, except for the wait time.

It's fortunate that I have three other cars, so my wife will be driving either the French Tart, or my 'old farts' car, Nissan Maxima J32.

Keep ya posted.

No one drives the Red Jett except me.

Hi.

When the axle is finally replaced, it would be interesting to see a photo of the bent axle, to see if my theory was near the mark or not.

Cheers.

Will be provided.

Peugeot manufactured 68,000 RCZ's at the renowned Magna Steyr factory in Austria.

I believe that only circa 9,000 RCZ's were sold in Oz.

I'm keeping mine for a long time.

Decided to buy my wife a new car, sell The Tart and the Maxima, and keep the RCZ for only me . . . Oh, along with the Red Jett.

OK.

Update, insurance claim will be $6,500.

left side hub assembly
Genuine stub axle
Complete New rigid axle beam
New left rear alloy wheel rim
New Bridgestone tyre
Wheel Alignment Labour
$6512.00

PEUGEOT-RCZ-4094_49 2.jpg

Gunna do this also:
So while the RCZ is there (for four months as all parts come from France), I’ll be fitting the Bilstein Shocks, new brake rotors/pads front and rear,
New clutch: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/133951115560
And a Lightweight Flywheel: https://www.peugeot-tuning-parts.co...illet-steel-peugeot-lightweight-balanced.html
(Lightened flywheels can be tricky to drive when taking off. But I’m used to this as the Red Jett Jas had one since 2008.)
The difference I noticed with the Red Jett was improved acceleration in 1st and 2nd and 3rd gears mainly.

Keep ya posted.

the Red Jett:
N14 SSS.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: COL
OK.

Update, insurance claim will be $6,500.

left side hub assembly
Genuine stub axle
Complete New rigid axle beam
New left rear alloy wheel rim
New Bridgestone tyre
Wheel Alignment Labour
$6512.00

View attachment 204405

Gunna do this also:
So while the RCZ is there (for four months as all parts come from France), I’ll be fitting the Bilstein Shocks, new brake rotors/pads front and rear,
New clutch: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/133951115560
And a Lightweight Flywheel: https://www.peugeot-tuning-parts.co...illet-steel-peugeot-lightweight-balanced.html
(Lightened flywheels can be tricky to drive when taking off. But I’m used to this as the Red Jett Jas had one since 2008.)
The difference I noticed with the Red Jett was improved acceleration in 1st and 2nd and 3rd gears mainly.

Keep ya posted.

the Red Jett:
View attachment 204403
When they have swapped everything over and put it on the wheel alignment machine, make sure you get a copy of wheel alignment to make sure everything is in spec and nothing else got bent in the accident.