Rear Discs on 205GTi S1

Chipper

Fellow Frogger
Hi All,

I have posted before about converting the rear drums to discs on my series 1 205 GTi.(subframe from 309).
I also understand that most of the braking force is applied to the front wheels as physics would imply. These things I know.

What I would like to know is the actual difference in the two set ups from the s1 to the s2 rears. I have seen written on a UK site that its simply the locating pin being longer on the s2 than the s1 when fitting rear discs, but this part is not available as a genuine Peugeot article.I have found a site selling this exact bit, more than likely for a conversion of this type, but 30 pound before freight seems a bit high for 2 pins, and surely someone in Oz would be able to whizz this up on a lathe ?

306 discs should fit up front, but would the left over fronts then be able to be transferred to the rear (bearings should be the same?)utilising the caliper as well.

If not, would the rear disc assembly of a series 2 be able to be bought new or second hand and be slotted onto a series 1 rear suspension arm? Where would the caliper mount?

I know this is a lot of trouble to go to, but after my little effort on the weekend, I want to upgrade the brakes regardless.

1 last thing, are the series 2 master cylinders larger in bore diameter than the series 1, and will a 405 master cylinder fit?

Chipper

I'm not sure about the pin, but I know that it can be done by bolting on the whole s2 rear assembly. I've been quoted about $1000 for a rear end, if you can find one. I also suspect that the series 2 has a different m/cyclinder as there is two brake lines running to the rear, as well as different pressure regulators for server braking. If you find out about the exact details of the pin, let us know as I'm very keen to put disc brakes on my rear. I would also be interested to see if the fronts can go on the back. Something you may be interested in is the BremSport upgrade package from Need for Speed in the UK. (you can get 25% off the site price if you're a member of the Pug GTi Aust Club, www.peugeot-gti.com)
Leon.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chipper:
Hi All,

I have posted before about converting the rear drums to discs on my series 1 205 GTi.(subframe from 309).
I also understand that most of the braking force is applied to the front wheels as physics would imply. These things I know.

What I would like to know is the actual difference in the two set ups from the s1 to the s2 rears. I have seen written on a UK site that its simply the locating pin being longer on the s2 than the s1 when fitting rear discs, but this part is not available as a genuine Peugeot article.I have found a site selling this exact bit, more than likely for a conversion of this type, but 30 pound before freight seems a bit high for 2 pins, and surely someone in Oz would be able to whizz this up on a lathe ?

306 discs should fit up front, but would the left over fronts then be able to be transferred to the rear (bearings should be the same?)utilising the caliper as well.

If not, would the rear disc assembly of a series 2 be able to be bought new or second hand and be slotted onto a series 1 rear suspension arm? Where would the caliper mount?

I know this is a lot of trouble to go to, but after my little effort on the weekend, I want to upgrade the brakes regardless.

1 last thing, are the series 2 master cylinders larger in bore diameter than the series 1, and will a 405 master cylinder fit?

Chipper

Cheers Leon,

I was trying to avoid a $1000+ subframe in favour of a 30 pound pin
smile.gif

Anyone know if the drum backing plate can be removed and a disc hub bolted on?

Chipper

You can upgrade the drums with out to much hassle.

Try putting in a bias adjuster as well excellent for club days and running on different surfaces.

Bias adjuster is something I have been thinking about, as my rear is too keen to step out under hard braking (particularly on the track). Is it effective on a 205? Also do you know if you can machine groves into the standard discs?
Leon

Tilton brake bias adjuster or a wilwood product, you'll have to "stealth" instalation of the adjustment knob in the cockpit. I have mine behind what used to be the ashtray !
Any amount of adjustability/tuning on suspention adds another dimention to performance handling.
Upgrade shocks/springs before hand though.
Personally I would stay with standard front discs and upgrade friction material first, this also applies for the rear.
If you want to go hard with the brakes stay peugeot and upspec to 306 s16 rotors and calipers !

Go hard !!!

James,

Yeah, that will more than likely be what happens. Do you know if the caliper on the 306 will have the same mounting point as the 205?...I would hate to purchase only to find they dont or cant fit.....the rotors should be ok as it has 1.9 d/shafts...

the gti-6 brake upgrade is pretty popular for 205's in the UK.
you need 15" wheels obviously and no wheel balancers will fit inside the wheel, it's a damn tight fit but apparently just bolts on.
if the 406 coupe discs/calipers bolt onto a 405 without major probs i doubt you'd have any.

Thanks Andreas,

Does anyone know if the S16 or a standard 405/306/series 2 205 rotor will bolt up with the 14" wheels in place?

Cheers

Chipper

No Chipper... 15' inch, get rid if the biscuits !!

Andreas: 406 calipers ..... I see now where my next brake upgrade is heading !