Rare 750

Leigh Wilson

Fellow Frogger
OOps Posted this in Parts For Sale by mistake:

Back in the late 60's, early 70's, there used to be a gentleman living in Cardiff, Newcastle, that used to hill climb. At this time he was using Renaults. It seems he was the first in Aust to get a Dauphine over 90mph. His name was Murray Bingham. Under his house, in his workshop he had a special dual skinned Renault 750 body shell. He said that it was especially made for him by Renault in France. He wanted the rigidity for a special racing project. In my youth I was probably a pain, as I was so enthralled by Renaults and his skill that I visited him several times a week. He raced/climbed Renaults, but drove a Studebaker Hawk.

Has anyone else heard of him, know what happened to him or the twin-shelled 750 body????

I suspect old Murray was pulling your leg...

When I bought his trailer from him (the one he carted the Bingham Cobra on) he told me how he used to reverse it up the drive with his Rambler and place it within a quarter of an inch of the same spot every time.

Such things tend to be exaggerations at best... as do stories of special factory-built 750s with dual skins.

Murray was no fool, however, he was the Australian Hillclimb Champion on at least one occasion, as I recall. The Bingham Cobra was a Porsche 906 Spyder chassis with a Ford engine, later it got a nice F5000 Chevy in it...