[Rally GB WRC] So long Michael Park, we'll never forget you !!!!!!

Pugster

Fellow Frogger
Hi,

Sad news from the Rally GB this week-end!!!! :( :( :(

Markko Märtin's codriver, "Beef"(nickname of Michael Park) just deceased in a violent crash against a tree... :cry:

The 307 WRC was completely smashed on Michael's side, the rescue people had to cut the car to try to unlock him, but it wasn't enough... :disappr:

Condolences to Michael family(he had children), and good luck to Markko and the Peugeot team who must havebeen hit by a monstruous psycological shock... :( :( :(

Now the battle between Peugeot and Citroën for the 2005 WRC Championship has no more importance, end of game...

Vale Michael Park

Oh my god!

That's such terrible news. My condolences go out to Michael's family, friends, and team mates.

Such a loss to the world rallying community.

When events like this happen the sport doesnt matter any more.

Last edited:
RIP Michael Park. Tragic :(

I was following the rally live on the net and was waiting for Markko to come through but obviously was involved in a crash when the times didn't appear.

13:05 ORGANISER STATEMENT: On the advice on the FIA Safety Delegate special stages 16 and 17, Rosolfen 2 and Margam 2 will not be run. Competitors will return to the finish in Cardiff scheduled for 14:00. There will be no champagne celebrations at the finish and the post-event FIA press conference has been cancelled."

12:30 ORGANISERS STATEMENT: "It is with deep regret that the organisers of Wales Rally GB confirm that Michael Park was fatally injured following an accident in special stage 15. The next of kin has been informed. The driver of car number eight, Markko Martin, is uninjured."

12:27 Due to the death of Michael Park, the event has been permanently stopped

12:15 STAGE 15: Tragic news - Michael Park has been confirmed dead as a result of the crash

11:26 STAGE 15: It is reported that Martin his a tree on the passenger side and that co-driver Michaem Park is seriously injured.

11:10 STAGE 15: It is reported that Markko Martin was involved in the incident.

A co-driver in the Finish rally scene was also killed yesterday.

A bad weekend for rallying :(

Truely a sad day,

I'm glad to see seb took the right course of action and took a time pen at the service park, to avoid winning the championship.

DRTDVL said:
Truely a sad day,

I'm glad to see seb took the right course of action and took a time pen at the service park, to avoid winning the championship.

Indeed, that is a nice gesture by Loeb.

Sadly, I've read elsewhere (yet to be confirmed) that Richard Burns was present at Rally GB in a wheelchair and is having trouble with his eyesight. It doesn't sound like good news in his battle with the brain tumour :(

Automobiles Peugeot is considering of pulling out of the WRC immediately and not at the end of the season...

At least they will reduce team into one car team (M.Grönholm) if they decide to drive remaining 4 rallies.

Jean-Pierre Nicholas said "In the situation like this World Championship means nothing"

EDIT: Marcus Grönholm said today at interview that he hasn't heard anything that supports the rumour that Peugeot is pulling out. It is just a speculation.

Last edited:
Putting things into perspective

This was posted on grandprix.com It certainly helped me to put this tragic event into perspective. Also makes me thankful that these accidents are few and far between.

grandprix.com said:
Keeping things in perspective

Motorsport is a dangerous business. And deeply self-absorbed. This can be a problem, particularly when things go wrong, as happened on Sunday morning on the Wales Rally GB when Markko Martin crashed his Peugeot WRC car sideways into a tree in Margam Forest in South Wales. The Estonian's unfortunate co-driver Michael Park was killed in the impact. In such circumstances the sport tends these days to try to be seen to be doing something to improve safety when perhaps one must accept that accidents just happen and by pushing the boundaries of physics racing and rally drivers and their teams sometimes get it wrong. What the sport often forgets is that there are other sports out there in which people die and that the reaction to accidents should be measured and without knee-jerk changes to rules and regulations.

Last weekend, one of the stars of motorcycle racing in Ulster, Richard Britton, was killed in a road race at Ballybunion. A double Irish and Ulster road racing champion, Britton's bike appears to have suffered from some kind of mechanical failure.

And in Newcastle four men died while taking part in the 13-mile Great North Run, the largest half marathon race in the world.

"I can confirm four male participants in the race have died," a police spokesman said. "That is more than the usual one or two - but every year more people are taking part."

If F1or the WRC was killing one or two competitors each and every year, there would be calls for change and if four were killed there would be uproar.

Why is that?

RIP

It was sad news hearing it on Sunday,the rallly event is local to me and on Mondays television news they showed pictures of the crashed car.
Markko Martin was very lucky to get away with his life,never seen a WRC so damaged.

Our thoughts go out to Michael Park family and friends.

Pate said:
Automobiles Peugeot is considering of pulling out of the WRC immediately and not at the end of the season...

Finally they will finish the season, and for Japan, young Swede Daniel Carlsson will replace Markko Märtin in the 2nd 307 wrc...