R8 Tires

Reno17

Fellow Frogger
Any of you fine chaps know if 155 tires will fit on standard R8 rims ?

Thanks

Whilst it is not a definitive answer; I imagine they would fit without too much trouble.

145 was quite an acceptable alternative.

I am running 175/70/15 tyres on R10S rims (4.5") which work perfectly well except that they do rub the inside of the guard on full lock - this is rarely a problem on the road and only seems to be an issue when doing low speed manueoveres like in and out of tight parking places. As the car is club plated; this is rarely an issue as the car never gets driven much where this is likely to be a problem.

Why not confirm with your local tyre fitter; and if necessary - get one tyre fitted and try it on both sides of the front of the car lock to lock with the car up on stands or whatever.

Apart from lock to lock on the inner guard; the other thing to watch for is rubbing on the guard at the top of the wheel arch - again, I do not believe this to be a problem on wither an 8 or 10 - the wheels I mentioned above are currently on a 10, but were previously on an 8 (R1130) with no problems.

regards
kevin.

Thanks for your reply Kevin.

It's just I’ve been told that the original 135 are no longer available and the closest thing to it is a 155.

Anyway I'm going to go into Bob Jane tomorrow and see what they have to say.

I want to keep the rims stock, as its fairly orig. Widened rims would be cool but the skinny wheels are a unique feature on the car.
I'd do it on a standard R8 or R10, but on the G I'm a bit hesitant.

I really want some Gotti’s

Reno17...

Have you checked out Antique Tyre Supplies??
<a href="http://www.antiquetyres.com.au" target="_blank">www.antiquetyres.com.au</a>
Go to the link to Michilen Vintage and Racing tyres, they have a listing there for 145 and 155 but you would have to give them a call to find out whether they can get the tyres for you I suspect. The R10S handbook listed a Dunlop SP Sport option also, what others were listed for the 8G.
Chris

no doubt you have it sorted by now but for a standard r8/10 4" rim the best available is going to be a 145 michelin xzx. 155 are legal on a 4" rim but getting a bit baggy in the sidewalls.
you seem to suggest in one place that the vehicle is a gordini. the r8g, like the 10s had 4.5 rims and 155 would be ok there.

personally, if you like driving the beast rather than looking at it, i'd get a second set of 15 rims and have a wheel firm cut them down to 14" and fit tubeless double safety ridged rims with 4.5 fronts and 5.5 rears. have the offset at the fronts kept standard so the steering doesn't crab
and that at the rear carefully judged to clear the guards and the calipers (i manually heaved the guards out a fraction).

the fronts can come from an old valiant and the rears are readily available.

as for tyres, try 165/65 fronts and 185/60 rears and depending on tyre choice the car is perfectly balanced with crisp turn-in and stable around the limit rear behaviour. (mind you my transverse leaf camber compensator is doing a bit of the work here as well, as is the increased negative camber the conversion institutes at the rear) also, depending on tyre choice the car can be run on similar pressures all round (i had 33psi with conti ecocontact ep fronts and pirelli p5000 dragos at the rear but the bridgestone re711 i have now on the rear operate at greater slip angles than the dragos and i have had to up rears to 38 and drop fronts to 30 to rebalance it).

incidentally, on the subject of r8 gordinis, if anyone knows of a steering rack for one from a corpse then i would like to buy one, indeed 2.

peter