R8 Gordini Handbook on E-Bay

Reno17

Fellow Frogger
Well its actually finished.

I just can't believe what’s happened.

R8G 1135 Owners Hand Book
Bidding started at $15.00

Been watching this auction all week checking 3 times a day, in which I maintained the highest Bid all week, (I was the second person to make a bid) I checked it this Morning, and I was still the highest Bidder. It finished this arvo at 5pm

I'm starting to think I've got it in the bag, then wondering why is'nt anyone bidding on this ultra rare G item? (Simon)

Anyway I had to visit a friend down the coast today, I get back late cause of traffic 6:30 check the auction, its over and I've been out bid, by what for it, almost $100 and 7 people WTF !!!!?? It all just happened in a few hrs

What makes it worse, is the guy lives locally and I proberley could of had it for $10.00

I'm off to slash my wrists

It sold for $113.50

Ash,
The book friend of mine that put the handbook on ebay, was fortunate enough to get that in a box of other rare brochures for numerous cars from 20's onwards. He was telling me, with tears in his eyes, of a Bugatti brochure that crumbled as he opened it up. Unfortunately most of the various books have not been kept well. I think he was expecting a lot more than $10 for the G handbook, being in the business, knows what books are worth.

Alan.

Ash,
I have to admit that I was partially responsible for the high price on the R1135 owner's manual.

Having previously outbid the last time one was posted (last December- sale price US$121), I wanted to get this one, but was holding back a bit because it didn't have the front cover.

I have also learned that you don't bid before the last minute!

I bailed out at A$101, and by the time the last bid was in ( 30seconds before closing), I didn't get the chance to up the ante.

My only consolation is that I have a photocopy of the July 1969 English edition ( the correct edition for my 1970 Daffodil Yellow car)

Robert

My only consolation is that I have a photocopy of the July 1969 English edition ( the correct edition for my 1970 Daffodil Yellow car)

Robert[/QB][/QUOTE]

Gee Rob you must feel good about that....

Ash...that's the story with e-bay..the mongrels take it right up to the wire. I think the deal is to set a realistic maximum for the item you want and enter a bid straight off. Of course you have to be prepared to walk away from it with a smile if some mongrel duds you at the last minute. The way the sytem works is that your bid only ever goes up by the minimum increment as others bid against you.

I've lost a few bits and pieces but the strategy works OK, plus if you know the max you want to pay it is easier to walk away when someone goes above that figure.

dance

BogMaster:
Ash...that's the story with e-bay..the mongrels take it right up to the wire.
What's wrong with that? It's called 'sniping' and is the experienced eBayer's stock in trade. No good being polite when no-one else is. I've been looking for a particular camera lens now for two years, and have been beaten by seconds. I'll do anything to win next time. Even kill someone... :mad:

Stuey

Seems like buying on Ebay is like buying at any other auction, there will always be someone who is disappointed, or surprised at the result.

However, I can't imagine what an 8G manual WITH a front cover would be worth if one without got $113.50.

Stuey:
BogMaster:
Ash...that's the story with e-bay..the mongrels take it right up to the wire.
What's wrong with that? It's called 'sniping' and is the experienced eBayer's stock in trade.
Stuey
Nothin wrong with it all Stuey....done it myself...they're only mongrels when ya loose. :p If you win on the snipe then you are a hero tongue

I ended up taking the view that it's best to set a maximum limit and be prepared to shrug it off if you end up losing. I've picked up a few bits and pices at a good price as a result but have also lost a lot of stuff I really would have liked to buy.

cheers! dance

I ended up taking the view that it's best to set a maximum limit and be prepared to shrug it off if you end up losing. I've picked up a few bits and pices at a good price as a result but have also lost a lot of stuff I really would have liked to buy.

cheers! dance [/QB][/QUOTE]

What's that old saying about letting a bird go and if it returns it was yours; if it doesn't - it never was?

If you set your limit; then if someone pays more regardless of when, it was never "yours" in the first place. 8_ball

renault8&10:

cheers! dance
What's that old saying about letting a bird go and if it returns it was yours; if it doesn't - it never was?

If you set your limit; then if someone pays more regardless of when, it was never "yours" in the first place. 8_ball [/QB][/QUOTE]

Absolutely Kevin ..absolutely. That still doesn't stop the winner being labelled a mongrel.

BTW those widies you're flogging look pretty good don't they.

dance

Yea well it sure was good learning curve thats for sure.

Had I been home at the time when all the action started, I would of stuck my nose in with a few bids, but my limit would have proberley been around $100.

BogMaster

BTW those widies you're flogging look pretty good don't they.

dance [/QB]
I think someone's trying the "bid at last second" for those as well.

A few months ago a few people on aussiefrogs were begging to buy some and I "ummed and arred". Now I've decided to sell, no one seems to want to know - can't understand it.