r5 turbo 3 is a new restomod

vivid

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I missed this.

Legende-Automobiles-Renault-5-Turbo-3-front.jpg
Legende-Automobiles-Renault-5-Turbo-3-5.jpg
Legende-Automobiles-Renault-5-Turbo-3-16.jpg

Nice, but I would expect it will have its work cut out against the Alpine-announced electric version.

Nonetheless, modern technology in older cars is great. If only manufacturers would embrace it.

Has anyone posted about the electric A110 or R5 Alpines yet?

Nice, but I would expect it will have its work cut out against the Alpine-announced electric version.

Nonetheless, modern technology in older cars is great. If only manufacturers would embrace it.
Yeah, but the petrol car will go to Albany and back in one day, same as Geraldton .............

And when the batteries pack in after 8 years, the R5-T3 will just need more fuel in the tank.

Yeah, but the petrol car will go to Albany and back in one day, same as Geraldton .............

And when the batteries pack in after 8 years, the R5-T3 will just need more fuel in the tank.
Any electric sold today will easily go to Albany and back the same day.

Eight years from now you'll probably need a special permit to drive a petrol car around and fuel will be beyond what most of us can afford.

And if your electric car will kill the battery in eight years (not as likely as some might have you believe), you'll have a choice of smaller, cheaper, more powerful batteries with more capacity.
Plus more powerful, smaller motors while you're at it.

It's in your signature. Think old, but run modern.

I understand that there is only one Earth and we all should do our best to look after it. I have an issue that successive Administrations talk of good works and head off in the opposite direction. Electric vehicles have a place in that strategy, but I find it laughable the way they are being touted as the main solution. Where I live there is no dedicated parking meaning there is no means of charging an EV. at home this is true for about 60-70% of my city which is not untypical of my country in general. My son's Dacia logan Diesel averages nearly 60 mpg with him at the helm (which surprised me) but speaking to one of the dealership mechanics, he said that the Euro 6 versions (using adblue) are more like 45 mpg average as they are injecting fuel into the exhaust to clean it up, so we use more fuel to have less emissions, that does not quite add up to me. This seems typical to me of the situation in general, something that starts off as a good idea turns into something not so good. I used to work in the Gas industry in the UK and the smartmeter thing is a classic example of this. The idea is that by empowering customers to see their usage in realtime is a good idea and it is, but the execution of this is an absolute shambles. None of the competing suppliers systems are allowed to talk to each other (it is against the law) so every time you change suppliers, new meters are required the waste this is producing is mindblowing and should not be happening as it is using more resources than it is saving. They all thought it would be a money go round, and it is , but the wrong way, it is part of the reason why energy suppliers are haemorrhaging money in the UK at the moment, but is never mentioned. This seems to be endemic at the moment and showing no signs of stopping..
Happy motoring (while you can)
Steve

Which Videos ???
I think this is the source of the content.

R5T3.jpg

Google you tube R5 Turbo 3.
Some in foreign languages.
Some tiring pedantic Yankee...
Are we sure it actually exists? All I could find were a bunch of videos of convincing renders but no actual car. Steve, can you post a link to a video showing an actual car?

I understand that there is only one Earth and we all should do our best to look after it. I have an issue that successive Administrations talk of good works and head off in the opposite direction. Electric vehicles have a place in that strategy, but I find it laughable the way they are being touted as the main solution. Where I live there is no dedicated parking meaning there is no means of charging an EV. at home this is true for about 60-70% of my city which is not untypical of my country in general. My son's Dacia logan Diesel averages nearly 60 mpg with him at the helm (which surprised me) but speaking to one of the dealership mechanics, he said that the Euro 6 versions (using adblue) are more like 45 mpg average as they are injecting fuel into the exhaust to clean it up, so we use more fuel to have less emissions, that does not quite add up to me. This seems typical to me of the situation in general, something that starts off as a good idea turns into something not so good. I used to work in the Gas industry in the UK and the smartmeter thing is a classic example of this. The idea is that by empowering customers to see their usage in realtime is a good idea and it is, but the execution of this is an absolute shambles. None of the competing suppliers systems are allowed to talk to each other (it is against the law) so every time you change suppliers, new meters are required the waste this is producing is mindblowing and should not be happening as it is using more resources than it is saving. They all thought it would be a money go round, and it is , but the wrong way, it is part of the reason why energy suppliers are haemorrhaging money in the UK at the moment, but is never mentioned. This seems to be endemic at the moment and showing no signs of stopping..
Happy motoring (while you can)
Steve

I am not saying the electric vehicle is the future, but it does seem that a lot of people have put their money on it. People with money and /or political power. People with the power to steer everybody else their way.
A number of car companies have already announced their intention to stop manufacturing IC cars, and a number of countries have announced their intention to have zero emission cars only so where does this lead? Lower need for oil I would guess. Which means what for oil companies? I would guess it means they will diminish production to keep prices where they want them. If the EU and Japan do not want oil anymore (these are in my mind the most likely places to go ahead with their promises) that means about 1/3 of the world oil demand or maybe 1/4. Something like that. Not insignificant. If the US will join (or at least some of the more advanced states there, which are the most populous) that will make a serious dent in world oil demand. This will have profound effects on the world oil industry and I bet they won't sit on their toes watching profits go down.

Regardless of what governments will do prices will go up and I would in fact hazard a guess the governments most concerned about burning fossil fuels will actually help prices go up even more by taxing fuel cars and fossil fuels more. If these countries have political power in the international ring, they will also place pressure on other governments to follow suit.

For us, this means that if we want to keep our IC cars we'll have to pay more. More tax and registration, more for fuel, more for maintenance and repairs. At what point do you think we will not be able to afford to keep an IC car?

A number of people use the example of the horse. When cars came on the scene, the horse was liberated and we starting keeping horses for hobby. With all the associated costs of a hobby. How many of us can afford horses today (not that I want any)? Well, my mind says it's going to be like that with cars. Look at the people who have some significant car of the past, an Alfa 33 Stradale, Ford GT40 or some such. You need mega money to afford it. We will probably afford some obscure classic nobody heard of and enough fuel to take it out once a year or once a month if we're lucky.

Last edited:
Are we sure it actually exists? All I could find were a bunch of videos of convincing renders but no actual car. Steve, can you post a link to a video showing an actual car?
It's just a design studio in California that says they "will" make some. So no, doesn't exists. Those images are all clearly renders.

Well, well.
Looks like i may have been sucked in by the renderings.
Maybe I really wanted this to exist.
But they have stated a turbo engine and sequential box.
Two exhaust pipes to expel pollutants.
Not electric.

Well, well.
Looks like i may have been sucked in by the renderings.
Maybe I really wanted this to exist.
But they have stated a turbo engine and sequential box.
Two exhaust pipes to expel pollutants.
Not electric.
Ah we all want this to exist, we just need to find a sponsor with deep pockets and get them to make a phone call :p