R4 Register

Geoff in Gully

Fellow Frogger
I'm the one who wanted to create a register of Aussie Renault 4's so that it's easier for us R4 owners to know about each other. I reckon good things would follow in the natural course of things from simply facilitating that.

vivid said:
VEHICLE DETAILS of interest...

Model: (R1123/R2104 Top number on the oval plate.)
Chassis No.
Diamond plate No.
Fabrication No: (Bottom number on the oval plate)
Engine type:
Engine No.
Transmission:
Year:
Colour:
Owner:
Status: Full registration; Historic Registration; good unregistered; restorable; parts only
Condition: Good original; restored; modified; being restored/modified; to be restored; parts car
History: (eg any special fittings or features, details of modifications, history, etc
Going Concern: Yes/No.
Email address: An contactable email address so all cars/people on the register can be circulated the list and any newsletters/parts/tool requests etc. (optional of course, can be privately shared with existing registers)

....and of course Photos!

I'll eventually turn this first post into an index with links to each car withing the thread.

David.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rene Descartes

Rene Descarte - 1963 R1123
He's colourless at the moment as he's stripped down for a 'bare metal' restoration.

I got him from Phil in Toledo NSW. He was her first car so, despite his fully dismantled condition, he's a genuine two owner car. I've had him since July 2010.

He lives in Upper Ferntree Gully (eastern Melbourne) Victoria.
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF0686.jpg
    DSCF0686.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,758
  • DSCF0692.jpg
    DSCF0692.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 604
  • DSCF0889.jpg
    DSCF0889.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 611
Last edited:
Lucille

Lucille is a yellow 1964 R1123
She comes from Adelaide and was going to be a parts donor card for Rene Descartes but since she was close to road-usable I decided to put her on the road and do rolling restoration.

I called her Lucy 'cos she was oh so loose in the suspension and handling. She's shabby - painted with a four-inch house brush by the looks - and much like an aging former movie star who's trying but failing to hold on to her looks.:)

The main work I've done to get her to be ready for club registration has been suspension work. I had front and rear suspension nearly ready for 'Descartes' so that's been a bit of serendipity.

I got her from Bruce in Adelaide but I don't about her history before that. Yet.

Lucy lives in Upper Ferntree Gully (eastern Melbourne) in Victoria.
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF0950.JPG
    DSCF0950.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,725
Last edited:
Here's Jean ( as in Blue Jean) I think that's what I'll call it. 1965 R4L (luxury!) b1123. This car was brought to Australia from England where I nderstand it was manufactured in 1965. I am the 4th owner, it is being tidied up to register, not sure if club plates yet. rebuilt the motor, doing brakes and electricals and next year overhaul the suspension. Repainting the roof and boot to original colour at present, looking for bits and pieces to make it go!.
Steven

Attachments

• IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 626
one more R4

Greetings . here is a picture of JED - a 1963 R4 that is close to RWC. New doors seals just been fitted. radiator just done. currently taking up space in Knox. cheers, Paul

Attachments

• 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 654
R1123/80/149380. 1964 MY/AUS assembled 1966/First registered Feb 1967 (last new R4 (wagon) registered in SA)

Owners: Mann/Keeris/Bjelic/Me. Found in a field 1985.

Alpine White/ Blue trim. Treated to a body-off rebuild, original trim retained. 22,000 miles since rebuild at an average of 48.3mph. Done a lot of things, been to a lot of places.

R1123/80/82868. 1964 MY/ AUS assembled 1966/ First registered ?

Owners: Various Unknowns/Renawreck/Me. Purchased from wrecking yard 1986.

Cosmic Blue/Brush Painted Brown/Mop Painted Yellow/now Rattle Can Sprayed Blue/ Blue trim. Treated to absolutely nothing since purchase, terminal floorpan rust. Available to anyone that wants it.

R2104/80/2868. Delivery Van, sans side windows, sans roof flap. 1963 MY/ AUS Assembled 1964/ First registered ?

Owners: Buring Tobacco, Mile End/Various Unknowns/Bloke in a pub met at Christmas drinks ages ago/Minge/Powrie/Me. Arm twisted to buy it in 1986.

Mirage Grey/now Faded Yellows & Appliance White/ Blue trim. Been to a lot of places, carried a lot of stuff. Presently awaiting owner motivation to replace the rear suspension bushes.

Last edited:
Good idea, and I'd join a register if we had one, an R4 that is!

FWIW there is one R4 owner in the Renault 4CV Register of Australia (well, it is almost a 4CV).

Here are a couple of photos taken of R4s in Paris last Sunday at the workshop of Gazoline magazine.

Attachments

• R4 1964 basic model 2 sml.jpg
    R4 1964 basic model 2 sml.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 873
  • R4 1964 basic model sml.jpg
    R4 1964 basic model sml.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 2,382
  • R4 Raid 2 sml.jpg
    R4 Raid 2 sml.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 697
  • R4 Raid preparation sml.jpg
    R4 Raid preparation sml.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,061
  • R4 Raid sml.jpg
    R4 Raid sml.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,172
Last edited:
hey great photos hooray for Paris homeland of R4
Paris in the 1970's R4s were ubiquitous wall to wall
R4 taxis and a liberal sprinkling of 2CVs in service.
i guess you know the vertical blinds shop
their R4 with billboard erected on the roof
still stands in the street outside the shop
8 hours a day for about fifteen years now
nice work if you can get it. :confused:

Attachments

• Copy of steelr4.jpg
    Copy of steelr4.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 557
  • Copy (2) of file.jpg
    Copy (2) of file.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 619
  • Copy (2) of p01.jpg
    Copy (2) of p01.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 571
  • Copy (2) of p02.jpg
    Copy (2) of p02.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 531
  • Copy (2) of on05.jpg
    Copy (2) of on05.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 548
I cuurently have a R30TX (even scarcer than a R4), but have owned 3 R4s in my youth.I have just found in my bookshelf a pristine original factory workshop manual(plus supps.)for a R4(models1120,1121,1122,2102) It can go to a GOOD home for free..ring me on Melbourne 96545144(business hrs.)and will need to be picked up at my work address in CBD

Blue Jean is on the road, three years since renovation began! She drives just like a 48 year old car!
But very nice and looks great! I was pleased to find a 4 club plate on offer that cost nothing, I contemplated getting Jean made up then the girl at the registry asked if I would like to pick a plate from the handful there and bingo!
Now where to drive it? Broome or Canberra sound good, scary to think it might make it!
hmm I'd love the manual if still available David.
Most of you would be using Clementines garage but if not very friendly and helpful bunch of enthusiasts on forum, check it out!
Regards
Steven

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 517
Hi!
The other half is keen to get himself an R4. He's not looking for anything pristine but one with some nice patina to it. Preferably in South Australia. We've spied one out in the weather in Angaston but by all accounts it is not for sale. Sad to watch it deteriorate.
Anyway, if anyone knows of an old R4 needing a bit of tlc, please let me know.
Thanks

Hi!
The other half is keen to get himself an R4. He's not looking for anything pristine but one with some nice patina to it. Preferably in South Australia. We've spied one out in the weather in Angaston but by all accounts it is not for sale. Sad to watch it deteriorate.
Anyway, if anyone knows of an old R4 needing a bit of tlc, please let me know.
Thanks

Bit of a distance but there are potentially two in WA. One is running and repainted, but a bit rough in the paint/body finish. The other isn't going but has had some work done and is a near rust-free early pale blue one. Both are eminently fixable. I've no idea about things like rear suspensions etc.

PM me if you want some contact details.

Renault 4 1123 1963 three speed
just restored the car. Got roadworthy
and Registered under club system.
Parts harder to come by wonder what
late model feels like. Now fixing cv
joints and rack and pinion. Care lives
in Parwan Victoria.
Thanks Mark

13895539_10201641406633993_4185801540146387211_n.jpg

My sister's R4. Lives in Fitzroy.

arfur 1.JPG

I was going to put this (63) back together.
Now lives with Mark in Arcadia, along with his fully restored R4.

GK-R4.jpg
I've owned many. This was my favourite, owned and driven for many years.
New owner trashed it very quickly. Sad. :cry:

Had a Fourgonette that had been driven around the world, and around Australia twice by a European couple...and they lived in it ...

Last edited: