R4 on youtube - furiousdriving

Saw a couple of the R4s barrelling along the expressways in France and parked in the streets in small villages so they are still on the road -quite remarkable for a little car that has been superseded for some years.

I'm in the process of restoring one of these and can vouch for most of what he says. They were also assembled at the West Heidelberg C&G factory.
My first R4 was in 1974, a mid 60's 845 engine car. As he says , really fun to drive - especially scare the wits out of the passengers with its body roll.
My project car will be done to R3/4 "standard" model specs as it is simpler and requires less work fitting out the inside. Like the Ford 'T', they were available in any colour, so long as it was grey (Pyramide Gris and Gris Templiere). I am using a bit of artistic license with the inside by re-upholstering the seats in denim, as they were known, during the development stage, as the 'Blue Jeans Car', and indication of the market they were aimed at.
This is a reasonably long term project as the European lock-downs are playing havoc with ordering new parts (which are still available).
I am also retro fitting a 'factory' style sunroof. These are quite rare in Oz so I have made it from scratch. I am replacing the later chrome bumpers with newly made painted tubular bumper bars. the seats are being modified into the early 'tubular' hammock style, similar to the seats on a 2CV.

Attachments

• Resized_20191121_152912.jpeg copy.jpg
    Resized_20191121_152912.jpeg copy.jpg
    863.2 KB · Views: 113
  • sunroof-11-web.jpg
    sunroof-11-web.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 113
  • first trial fit.JPG
    first trial fit.JPG
    442.7 KB · Views: 114