R4 History

danielsydney

Good Sport
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Does anyone on this list know anything about the History of the R4 and what was the last model ever made in Australia or brought into Australia? :confused: renault_

In a nutshell:

R4 Introduced in August 1961 in France, "Prenez le Volant" presentation with free rein given of 200 cars left throughout Paris.

Four versions R3 603cc, R4 4 window, R4L six window and R4 Super with drop down tailgate.

Introduced R1120 747cc to Australia in July 1962. R1123 845cc "export" version introduced to Australia in late 1963. This has a proper folding rear seat.

R4 van introduced to AUS in 1964.

In late 1965 the 1964 French market R4 made its appearance in Australia. Sliding windows in the rear doors, foam cushion front seats and grey crackle coat steel cladding on the dash.

The last R4's were assembled in Australia in August 1966 prior to the takeover of the Continental and General factory by Renault Australia (final ones with black crackle steel cladding on dash). This was done because of poor sales despite waiting lists in the earlier years, and also to free up production capacity for the R10.

R4 passenger car sales continued through 1967, with the last being sold in 1968.

In 1966 the R2106 R4 van was assembled in Australia. These were special versions to AUS with a 12V ignition system, apparently they were made to order for the then PMG, but I've never seen a live version of an ex PMG R4, but I've seen two of the 12V R4 vans. Probably similar to the Army contract for 1967 VW Kombi's, all produced with 12V, despite the average punters 6V version which they bought off the showroom floor, it must have created havoc in the production and spares department! The last of the R4 vans were sold in 1968.

Don't want to go on too long, already taken up too much bandwidth!

Simon

Well done Simon - a mine of information as usual!!

We had a crackle black dash R4 on loan for one year (we baby-sat it while its owner was out of Adelaide). Just loved it.

JohnW

I think Simon used to be the chairman of Renault Australia back in the 60's and 70's.

renault_ According to some sites on the Net the R4 was made well into the 80's in some countries.
Why didnt this occur in Australia? The "upgraded" R4 with its funky dash and changed grille looked like a really cool little car actually.
Did Renault collapse again maybe? renault_

There's a sales brochure on the later model TL, GTL, & GTL 4X4 Models for 1991 on aussiefrogs.

<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/Sales_brochures/Renault_4/index.htm" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/Sales_brochures/Renault_4/index.htm</a>

: According to some sites on the Net the R4 was made well into the 80's in some countries.
Why didnt this occur in Australia?
Did Renault collapse again maybe? renault_ [/QB]
Sales in AUS were slow in the later years, and it didn't fit into the volume plan that Renault Australia had to enter into to get reduced tariffs from Australian production of the R10 and Pug 404.

Stuey:
Actually the GTL was built until 1992! I reckon it would be a great car with a warmed over 1289cc...

Stuey
Why stuff around with a plain old 1289cc. Go for the max! Go R4 Alpine Turbo!

<a href="http://members.chello.nl/%7Ef.sikkema1/" target="_blank">http://members.chello.nl/%7Ef.sikkema1/</a>

Simon

We once followed a later model R4 (?GTS) in France at a steady 140-145 km/h for at least 1/2 hour. Just extraordinary.

Quite a step forward from the original 3 speed, 750cc units!

JohnW

The curved bars are handy for pulling the car around when it's not running wink (at least that's what I used them for when I used to own an ex-Rhodesian '73 4 speed).
Actually think they were there to prevent minor touch parking incidents bending that intricately shaped and very bendable bonnet.

When you see a red R4 van rush through the streets of Marseilles with its siren going... heading for a fire! ...then you know there's something different about the French.

The J7 and J9... nothing can beat them, but the R4?

Albert Jones did the right thing with his back in '67/'68... rolled it at Kurrajong, then got it back two months later and took it on a test drive.

He rang the mutual friend who'd been with him on that fateful trip to Catalina Park when they'd dangled in the safety belts with the car lying on its side.

"Hey Bob," he said to him, "remember you wondered what it would be like to go right over?"

"Yeah, I remember saying that," Bob replied.

"Well, I just did it!" said Al... minutes after he'd returned from his first drive since it was repaired.