R4 4x4 !!!

Alpine motor an 4x4. Hardly a 4L
I could get into that. So where would I find a 4x4 gearbox? 🙃

Everywhere.

Just need to make your mind up which one you want.

One that would mate to an Alpine engine (I assume it is one of the 807 family not 810) is found in the Euro 4x4 R18.

PS. I see their car actually already had the 4x4 g'box. The engine is also not the one I was thinking about. Looks more like a R8G engine (or Alpine R5?).

Last edited:
Sinpar Industries, Think only used drive trains available now.

Ray

Everywhere.

Just need to make your mind up which one you want.

One that would mate to an Alpine engine (I assume it is one of the 807 family not 810) is found in the Euro 4x4 R18.

PS. I see their car actually already had the 4x4 g'box. The engine is also not the one I was thinking about. Looks more like a R8G engine (or Alpine R5?).
Schlitzie you are out of the loop again. The Alpine motor is from an R5 Alpine, and fits easy in a R4 chassis/body (type 840)

Sinpar added a gear train at the front of the R4 gearbox to take the drive sideways, then a driveshaft back from there (!) with a couple of mountings and UJs to a back suspension to give 4WD. The Marreau brothers competed twice in the Paris Dakar - Bernard and Claude Marreau came fifth in 1979 and in third in 1980. Then there was the 4WD R20 that did pretty well too.

im interested to know how the drive gets to the rear if the motor is behind the front transmision ,im presuming the rear drive is mechanical not electric like some taragos ,

Go the 2cv way .... front and rear engines! They have been 4wd'ing the 2cv for ages

heres one of them. they could probably use his tranfer case in the r4

im interested to know how the drive gets to the rear if the motor is behind the front transmision ,im presuming the rear drive is mechanical not electric like some taragos ,

I linked the info in post #5 that shows how the drive gets from the front to the rear. Here it is again. Has all mechanical details of the whole 4 x 4 drive train.

Read my post #8, just above yours...

Reactions: COL