R25 used in 62-km/h 3-vehicle crash test demo

GavinS

Fellow Frogger
Lifestyle channel (27) - 5th Gear program – replay Sat at 17.00 hrs

There is a segment in the program to demonstrate the chances of fuel from a car crash bursting into flame, very low as it turns out. A Renault 25 set up to operate by remote control rear ends a small Gen Motors car at 62 km/h and sandwiches it into another car in front. The R25 passenger compartment remains intact but the poor GM product is reduced into a length of less than 2m the passenger part almost disappears with many loose bits leaving the vehicle, occupants would have little chance of survival by the look of it.
Sad to see the R25 used in this fashion; the only saving grace was how well it survived the experience.
The program regularly finds a way to destroy older vehicles for one reason or other, only last week a Volvo 960 and a BMW 5 where used in a demo of a head on at a closing speed of 120Km/h, no survivors there by the look of it.
dance

Yep I saw it. As you said it's sad to see a Renault wrecked for such a demostration :( , but you've got to remember older cars are as cheap as chips over in the UK. At least they destroyed a Toyota Supra for the BIG explosion! :p
I like the new Megane Cabrio that they showed on the show as well, can't wait for the test drive! Last weeks episode had a test drive of the Clio V6! It only got a luke warm reception! :confused:
cheers!
Cheers Renomad

"Why be normal"

There was also something in a newspaper a long time ago also that showed a R25 in a zoo being torn apart by monkeys.
A guy at work cut out the article as he knew I loved Renaults and said "look at this". I was mortified by the pic.
He no longer works with me by the way... wink