R25 in Cleveland st???

danielsydney

Good Sport
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Last night saw a great condition R25 parked off cleveland st in Redfern. Anyone on here own the beauty...?:confused:

danielsydney said:
Last night saw a great condition R25 parked off cleveland st in Redfern. Anyone on here own the beauty...?:confused:

Could have been my Dad's, kind of blue/green metalic colour. Mind you not sure if he would leave it parked in Redfern with out a minder!! He bought it new in London in 89 and shipped it home. I think he loves it more than he loves us!

Chrissy

I don't suppose it is a V6?

if not do you know what model? GTX, TXE, TXI etc?

Thanks - Luke

i saw an absloutley immaculate R25 in the city a few weeks ago, had citroen xsara hubcaps :headbang:

Cya Stalled

LukeCass said:
Chrissy

I don't suppose it is a V6?

if not do you know what model? GTX, TXE, TXI etc?

Thanks - Luke

GTX I think. He doesn't drive it much these days as he is in his 80's. I scoot around in it when I'm in town. It's a shame that the car is going to waste, it is absolutely pristine, Dad looks after it like a baby, he even had tailor made sheepskin seatcovers made with Renault symbols embroided into them!! My sister lives near them but will not drive it as she can't drive a manual! She gets around in an early 70's model R16 (classic baby poo orange) that has seen better days. Dad is thinking of putting in an automatic transmission so she can drive it, but most Renault mecs advise against it.

Chrissy said:
GTX I think. He doesn't drive it much these days as he is in his 80's. I scoot around in it when I'm in town. It's a shame that the car is going to waste, it is absolutely pristine, Dad looks after it like a baby, he even had tailor made sheepskin seatcovers made with Renault symbols embroided into them!! My sister lives near them but will not drive it as she can't drive a manual! She gets around in an early 70's model R16 (classic baby poo orange) that has seen better days. Dad is thinking of putting in an automatic transmission so she can drive it, but most Renault mecs advise against it.

be sure to send me a PM when he starts making noises of selling it - clean original R25s are pretty thin on the ground...

Chrissy said:
Dad is thinking of putting in an automatic transmission so she can drive it, but most Renault mecs advise against it.

Thats not a bad idea, its just that most people convert the other way. If you can find a buyer, selling the manual trans, shafts, pedal etc will bring in a bit of cash. A wrecker (still got yours Luke?) will sell you the auto conversion kit quite happiely and then get the auto rebuilt.
The MJ3 auto trans is a perfectly good transmission, its just a little clunkier than an equivalent Jap one. It is quite reliable and if well maintained will go for a long time. The only negative thing I can say about it really is that it is only a 3 speed.
An auto R25 is a great city car, but will be slower than the manual.

Last edited:
Haakon said:
Thats not a bad idea, its just that most people convert the other way. If you can find a buyer, selling the manual trans, shafts, pedal etc will bring in a bit of cash. A wrecker (still got yours Luke?) will sell you the auto conversion kit quite happiely and then get the auto rebuilt.
The MJ3 auto trans is a perfectly good transmission, its just a little clunkier than an equivalent Jap one. It is quite reliable and if well maintained will go for a long time. The only negative thing I can say about it really is that it is only a 3 speed.
An auto R25 is a great city car, but will be slower than the manual.
Hi, my mate's R25 auto isn't clunky at all. He rebuilt it in his shed. The only problem is a flat spot just above 2000 rpm. It's a pre bosh injection system.
JoBo