R25 gearboxes

"Proper" 25 (GTX 4 cyl)gearboxes are pretty rare, only few of the cars were sold in AUS. But I have heard of the Fuego gearbox being used, the speedo sensor sector ring being placed on the Fuego diff, and a hole for the speedo sensor needing to be drilled in the casing. The Fuego gearbox has the cast area for the sensor in the casing, but no hole drilled. Mind you the casing has to be split to do the required mods, otherwise the speedo doesn't work. Note that the gear ratios are different too. Overall probably best getting the original gearbox overhauled if it isn't too badly damaged.

Simon

Thanks Simon.

The problem is the box is out of a 2nd car that I bought for $800. The case is cracked, gears stripped, shaft broken. Easier to replace box than repair. I also have heard of Fuego transplants, but want to leave that till last. I was asked $$$$$$$$$$$ for a used box. I'm hoping people out there will sell me one without paying off the mortgage

David

------------------

try reno spares in melbourne i needed one for a customer and they has one,approx 850.00 i think,early hydraulic clutch set up.the guy there owned a 25 and new a lot about it.

I don't think reno spares have one at the moment because I rang them looking for either a manual conversion kit or a auto trans and they couldn't help with either.

David.