r21 plugs

ogorki

Tadpole
hi,
a very basic question:
i'm changing the spark plugs on my new (old) 2L GTX r21. according to the plate on the motor, it wants champion SY 6C plugs. i was reluctantly persuaded by the guy in the garage to buy "uprated" champion EON 3 plugs - because they didn't have the standard ones, and there was nowhere else open... but now i've got the old plugs out, it looks like they have maybe been running a bit hot (?) - the insulator noses are dead white, not a nice tan, the upper electrodes are greyish/white, and no. 4 is covered in white powdery stuff. the new you-beaut plugs promise 'protection against cold fouling' and i am wondering if this means they run hotter than the standard - not good if the standard ones are getting hot, i imagine.... i'd be grateful for any help!
cheers

The best advice I can give is to avoid Champion full stop - I have no idea why the sticker is on the engine. I have found them to be inconsistent in quality and performance. Bosch are good, but I have had a few fail. Valeo ones (available from European Auto Imports in Melbourne) are on a par with Bosch and have the made in France label on them :D . But NGK are cheap, very reliable and perform well and can be got anywhere. The plugs (BP7EFS for the R21) should be found at the local Autobarn cheap.

Bear in mind that EFI cars run very lean and hot compared to older carby equipped cars, a reflection of their better economy. My plugs come out with only a very slight colouring, if any, of the ceramic centre electrode. Its when they come out glazed and shiny that you should start worrying!

Tell me more about your R21 - they are a rarity in Oz. I have 2 - a 1991 Marsielle and a 1988 TXE (and 2 1989 R25s, and an R10, and a Rover or 2, and a etc.... :rolleyes: ).

Last edited:
thanks for that haakon - it's good to know the state of the plugs isn't a worry, i was expecting them to look like the ones that used to come out of my early 80s suzuki motorbike... i'll be returning the pricey EON plugs (and the wrong plug spanner they sold me at the same time!) and going for the NGKs.
i have to confess, i'm currently in newcastle, UK - moved here from Aust. a couple of months ago and bought the car then, don't see too many of them on the road here but more common than in oz i guess. i posted here when i was deciding whether to buy it and you among others said go for it - no worries so far!! :cheers:

Ah - I assumed Newcastle in NSW.... the penny should have dropped when you said R21 GTX - we only got the TXE ;) In that case, you can also buy Beru and Valeo will be easier to get, and dont quote me on the NGK model number as UK cars probably wont be unleaded models and may run a different plug. The R21 was the 3rd best selling in its class at one point, behind the Vectra and Mondeo, so I guess you could say it occupies the same market segment as Magnas here ;) .

And you may want to check out www.renault21turbo.com for local help, though they generally only talk to turbo owners. See their for sale board to remedy this situation! I would buy one in a flash if I could - a serious amount of car for the dosh.

Hi Ogorki (Polski?),

I've found that modern unleaded tends not to show as brown on the plugs as 'older petrol' too.

Stuey

Mm, polski ogorki....

I'll check out the NGK plug situation. i've been putting premium unleaded (95) into it - often there is nothing else to be had - but it sounds like maybe i should be going for super unleaded (97). it has worked fine so far but i am taking it on its first long run this weekend -

cheers guys!

From the NGK UK site:

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=4 width="95%" bgColor=#3e3e3e border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=teal><TD width="40%">[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Model Detail[/font]</TD><TD>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Years[/font]</TD><TD>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Product Type[/font]</TD><TD>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Part No.[/font]</TD><TD>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Extra Info.[/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#99cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21 1721cc[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#99cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]86-92[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#99cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Recommended[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#99cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BP7ES[/font]</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#99cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Extra Info.[/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#66cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21 1995cc[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#66cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]86-[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#66cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Recommended[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#66cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BP7EFS[/font]</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#66cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Extra Info.[/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#99cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21 1995cc TURBO[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#99cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]87-[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#99cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Recommended[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#99cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BP7EFVX[/font]</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#99cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Extra Info.[/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#66cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21 1995cc TX I 12 VALVE[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#66cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]89-[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#66cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Recommended[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#66cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BCP6ET[/font]</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#66cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Extra Info.[/font]</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#99cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21 2165cc[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#99cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]91-95[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#99cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Recommended[/font]</TD><TD bgColor=#99cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BP7EFS[/font]</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#99cccc>[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Extra Info.[/font]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Stuey said:
Oh, Daniel, WHO BLOODY CARES!
I was going to post something similar, then I realised I didn't even care enough to do it! :roflmao:

I can't get over how Daniel professes his love for Renault, complains that more people don't buy them - but he sold his and bought a Citroen. Explain yourself Daniel! hehe

I think I must have missed something re. the whole Daniel baiting thing - I think we have all been guilty of posting daft comments :mallet:

and theres nothing wrong with saying R21s are good - a bit boring granted (at least without the hairdryer attached...) but I like them as they are bloody cheap, good to drive, very underrated and have the rarity factor in Oz (hate driving something everyone else has got - if I lived in Europe and had a shitload of spare cash I would be tempted to import a current Falcon XR6 Turbo for the same reason ;) )

Bloody BAITING?! I can assure you, I've never bloody baited anyone on here. However, when I see that a bloody thread about spark plugs has a new post, and waste my BLOODY time opening it (on dial-up) to "I love the Renault 21" and then see very similar inanity on three other BLOODY threads in the same evening, I HAVE TO MAKE A BLOODY COMMENT!!!

Bloody Stuey