R19 TXE Timing belt

Davros

Fellow Frogger
Greetings,
a general query about a specific problem:
My 1992 R19TXE, the one with the F3N 1721cc engine and so forth, has just broken its timing chain at 107k (not road speed, odometer!). So i'm setting out to replace same. I wonder- does anyone know of particular problems to look out for? have any advice re other operations best done at the same time? Crank and camshaft pulley seals?
and more specifically- does anyone know whether the belt is likely to be available other than direct from a Renault dealer? The advice I've had so far (from ASV) is that it's not. $75 is the price ny nearest dealer has quoted.
thanks,
Davros.
Wollongong NSW.

ring david collier in granville at "colliers automotive" on 96823383 he is an expert and changed mine after it broke after a week I bought the car :mad:
He will know what else to change and help you. wink

I'm pretty sure its a belt. The F3P engine uses a belt... the F3N wont be too different.

Defianantly a belt, and defianantly not worth $75! Give Carrevelle in Melbourne a call (03 9890 9061) - he will send you one for around 20 - 30 bucks. May want to consider replacing tensioners (see how the bearings feel) and crank and cam seals is not a bad idea.
The big question is of course did the valves survive the belt breaking?

<small>[ 24 September 2003, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Haakon ]</small>

I paid $51 for my 92 txe timing belt including shipping to bendigo by courier, ps. check for damage, often damage occurs if the belt breaks unless the motor is a free spinning motor, the TXE is not. cheers
Dave

Thanks for the replies fellow froggers. I did obtain the belt somewhat cheaper plus a cam and crankshaft seal. The car still sits on the street outside the house of an elderly woman who was once a RAAF engine mechanic. Said she would've offered a hand but that had been considered 'forward' in her girlish days :) . It managed to spit its belt just as i was moving houses and in a day or two will be in a spacious garage for replacement seals and belt.
Thanks for the various warnings re damage. Yes, an 'interference' engine as they say. Thus far there is some grounds for hope that it'll be ok, but...
if anyone cares to suggest a particular test or inspection please do. Meanwhile fingers are crossed and spanners are poised....

you will know pretty quickly if the valves are bent went you fire it up - it will backfire pretty severly either out the throttle body (beware of fires!!) or the exhaust (beware of exploded mufflers and destroyed catalytic converter)

Ah, ... so that's how you tell?
How reassuring, thank you Haakon wink .
It sounds a bit like i should have left it where it spat its belt - a few doors up from the local fire station!! Just in case.
But it's now recovered and in my garage with the help of the local tow truck (wave as you descend Bulli Pass)and my neighbour Mal the policeperson.
So I'll renew the pulley seals, reassemble, and keep a fire extinguisher handy. Besides - it gives me a chance to fix that damn broken LH mirror ! Be nice to have it looking good for the cremation wink ;( ?

when you have it reassembled, turn it over by hand with all the plugs out. If nothing goes clunk (as a piston hits a valve for example), then do a compression test ( with a tester or by screwing a plug in a turn or so loosly and listening for the hissing) spinning it over on the starter. If all 4 pots have compression, then fire it up with confidence.