R18 turbo?

Sparky

Fellow Frogger
Hi i live in perth an am looking for info on turbocharging my lil fuego beast! Ive seen some posts saying an R18 turbo is what they came standard with, is this true? Where could i pick one up from cheap as possible, or another similar one? What turbos are compatible with a fuego?
Mine is an '83 2 litre.
Im looking to get the turbo for some fun and to show them what a cheap euro car can do!!

Sparky:

Im looking to get the turbo for some fun and to show them what a cheap euro car can do!!
Probably just a lot of embarrasing wheelspin in the wet, as well as a lot of torque steer!

But, the 18 Turbo (and Fuego turbo) both of which were not sold in AUS were fitted with a 1647cc OHV engine and is totally different in design to the 2 litre Douvrin OHC engine fitted to the AUS spec Fuego GTX.

Simon:
Sparky:

Probably just a lot of embarrasing wheelspin in the wet, as well as a lot of torque steer!

But, the 18 Turbo (and Fuego turbo) both of which were not sold in AUS were fitted with a 1647cc OHV engine and is totally different in design to the 2 litre Douvrin OHC engine fitted to the AUS spec Fuego GTX.
Umm, actually the 18 turbo and fuego turbos were fitted with the 1565cc motor- stuff all difference between the 1565cc and 1647cc- aside from pistons and liners and engine mounts from my experience.

Spares from 18's anf fuegos can be picked up in NZ for very cheap- complete cars for $500. But as you have the 2litre why not make the most of it's abundance of torque? From what a friend of mine has found- the secret to more HP from the very understressed 2l donk is in cam timing, carburetion and breathing...(he has a race car fuego 2litre..)

Cheers Ben

Renault17:
Umm, actually the 18 turbo and fuego turbos were fitted with the 1565cc motor- stuff all difference between the 1565cc and 1647cc- aside from pistons and liners and engine mounts from my experience.

Cheers Ben
Thanks for the correction Ben, major case of brain fade on the capacities!!

One other Fuego question though, do the NZ spec Fuego's have 14" alloy non TRX rims? Or were they also fitted with the TRX metric rims. Reason for asking is that I heard there were a number of unsold AUS spec Fuego's dumped to NZ back in 1988 in the dark days of LNC importers here. And that the TRX's caused a bit of a nuisance in being difficult to obtain even back then.

One other Fuego question though, do the NZ spec Fuego's have 14" alloy non TRX rims? Or were they also fitted with the TRX metric rims. Reason for asking is that I heard there were a number of unsold AUS spec Fuego's dumped to NZ back in 1988 in the dark days of LNC importers here. And that the TRX's caused a bit of a nuisance in being difficult to obtain even back then.[/QB][/QUOTE]

All the fuegos and 18's I have seen or owned have had the 'normal' 14" rims. There were a few floating about - but to be honest I had heard of more problems with the metric rims on Peugeot 505's than on R18's and fuegos. However I don't profess to know the whole story on this by any means- perhaps someone else out there can shed some light on it?
Cheers Ben

Its very odd but it appears that a genuine R18T is for sale in NSW, asking $5K

I'm tempted.

Reno17:
Its very odd but it appears that a genuine R18T is for sale in NSW, asking $5K

I'm tempted.
Correct! And it is the Ex Renault Australia evaluation car that was trawled around the various motor shows in the early 80's. I've heard that it needs a bit of work though.

I saw it about three years ago. It was complete but fairly rough. The condition being, if it were a Fuego it would be worth $400. Maybe some work has been done, but I doubt it.

For those interested, ripped from Trading Post

ONLY ONE IN OZ? Renault 18 Turbo 1981, loaded, including factory spoilers, 4/2004 rego, IKR-00S, $4950 (plates included) BALLINA 02-6682 8218

I'd do it, it's just I find the R18 a bit boring to the eye.

Definatly unique though.

Megane Turbo is the go !