R16TS rear self adjusting brakes.

cee5

Fellow Frogger
Hi all, I need to sort out the rear brakes and it appears they are self adjusting. I can't find anything in any manual that explains the workings. Would someone be
IMG_4068 - Copy.jpg
able to point me in the right direction for assistance. I have added a photo of progress. Thanks
IMG_4069 - Copy.jpg
so far.

If you google EAI scroll down to STORE heading and scroll down to brake section there is a picture of self adjusting rear brakes that appear to me to be r16,12wagon type.as far as function goes the adjustment strut between the two shoes has a thread and saw toothed nut which is adjusted around by the flattish looking spring loaded L shaped plate movement when handbrake lever is moved excessively.there is a central adjusting sleeve which joins the two rear handbrake cables together,you will need to back that adjustment off fully which will result in one or both cables coming out of sleeve(one end of sleeve is right hand thread the other left hand thread)just refit both cables equally about three turns each.that sleeve is in middle of rear above exhaust.also the adjuster at left rear will need backing off.refitting rear brakes is a bit trial and error as far as initial adjustment of spacer threaded strut goes,just need to do a couple of turns of nut initially,drums on,nip up wheel bearing nut,pull hand brake on and off a few times then try foot brake,may need to jack up right rear suspension arm to open brake regulator valve if it is closed and no pressure getting to rear brakes,hope this is not too confusing…jim

Thanks Dacia. I'll give it a go. Driven..thanks for that. I can drive forward but under power in reverse it arches up. I can barely push it back.

Thanks Dacia. I'll give it a go. Driven..thanks for that. I can drive forward but under power in reverse it arches up. I can barely push it back.
Take off rear drums and back off adjustment. Ensure handbrake is not on as well.

Took off the rear drums and the adjusters are missing. I found a set of auto adjusters at R16 and should be here next week. In the meantime I'll get the the bonnet and scuttle set up. I read the articles on tyres and couldn't get anything other the Cooper Dynamos in 165x70x14. I have photos but to large to post. Need my grandkids to sort it out.

Took off the rear drums and the adjusters are missing. I found a set of auto adjusters at R16 and should be here next week. In the meantime I'll get the the bonnet and scuttle set up. I read the articles on tyres and couldn't get anything other the Cooper Dynamos in 165x70x14. I have photos but to large to post. Need my grandkids to sort it out.
https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/renault/16.html

I'm wondering why you'd fit 165 width tyres to a 16. Both of our 16TS cars ran correct/standard size tyres perfectly well. I can see no good reason to fit wider tyres (and do they clear the rear wheel arch and do they fit in the spare wheel space???)

I'd politely suggest a reconsider. :)

I have wider tyres on my R10 and they make the ride rough compared to the 145 width.

I have wider tyres on my R10 and they make the ride rough compared to the 145 width.
Interesting area. I was pleasantly surprised by your R10's road behaviour back then. With the 16, I'd go for the narrowest in the interests of steering effort! With the R10, I guess there's more flex in the narrower, perhaps lighter walls. Be a bit brand-dependent too I guess.

I guess the Koni's might make the 10 a bit rougher as well. My Floride is the best riding car of all the cars I have. Original suspension and 145 width tyres. Getting a bit off the subject here though.

Listen John W. My only options were 175 and 165 so I took the 165. Yes they do clear the wheel arch and yes it does clear the bonnet. If I could get 155 I would've.

Original tyres were 155 80 14 I think?

Listen John W. My only options were 175 and 165 so I took the 165. Yes they do clear the wheel arch and yes it does clear the bonnet. If I could get 155 I would've.
OK, OK, no offence intended. :(

Nangkang: CX-668 Tourer
8014"155/80R14 81T4.5"604157J6329