R16 sump gasket

Antoine

VIP Paid Subscriber
Tadpole
Tadpole
I am replacing the sump gasket on my Renault 16. The new gasket is a cork like material, and is quite thick. The question is, should I use a sealant with the gasket and if so which one is the one to use, or do I rely on compression from the sump attaching bolts to seal the join.
Thanks for any advice

I would soak the gasket in some water to soften it, which won't take long. When dry they can be broken easily, when damp are quite resilient. Then coat both sides with what was Permatex No.3 Aviation, a non-hardening sealant that is applied via the brush in the lid of the bottle. It will do no damage if a little too much is applied, whereas the various silicone compounds can ooze inside and break off later to get jammed in the oil pump screen.

Be careful with how much you tighten the bolts as this can split the gasket. The ones I have used are the neoprene cork type and in my mind better than straight cork.

I would soak the gasket in some water to soften it, which won't take long. When dry they can be broken easily, when damp are quite resilient. Then coat both sides with what was Permatex No.3 Aviation, a non-hardening sealant that is applied via the brush in the lid of the bottle. It will do no damage if a little too much is applied, whereas the various silicone compounds can ooze inside and break off later to get jammed in the oil pump screen.

Be careful with how much you tighten the bolts as this can split the gasket. The ones I have used are the neoprene cork type and in my mind better than straight cork.
Thanks for the advice, will soak the gasket as advised. I have some Hylomar spray gasket sealer which should be OK.
Hopefully no future leaks.